Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2006 6:59:13 AM EDT
Much to my surprise, UPS dropped off my new stick from G.A. Precision. I surely figured that since today was a holiday, that I wouldn't see it until tomorrow or the next day.

Here's the rundown:

-Remington short action
-22" Schneider 5P barrel chambered in .308
-Badger recoil lug
-Badger/AICS floormetal
-Badger bolt knob
-Threaded w/ thread protector for the eventual suppressor
-McMillan A5 in G.A. Camo-Edge weight

I did this in the spirit of the M40A3 "Lite" that George built a while back, but to my specs. The barrel has the deep fluting, the floormetal is aluminum, the base is aluminum, the rings are steel-but just for the time being. I mounted a USO SN3 on it, which is a big honking scope, but my total weight right now is 12# 13oz. I'm thinking a can get the weight sqeeked down a little more with aluminum rings, but I may just leave it as is.
I opted for a non-adjustable A5 for 2 reasons, the most important being that I've had the adjustable cheekpiece before and just didn't need it as bad as I thought plus, I didn't need things coming loose at a bad time. The other reason was George had this in stock and ready to go-so no wait. I'm using the Eagle stock pack and it provides just the right amount of height.

Total time to build and ship-4 weeks. Thats not bad at all, the first chance I'll get to shoot it is on practice day of 1000yd match this weekend, so I'll see how she shoots then.

A quick question for those that may know. I have the flush cups in this stock. However, I can only find 1" flush cup swivels. Does anybody know where I can pick up a set of 1 1/4" swivels so I can use my TIS sling?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:53:04 AM EDT
[#1]
WOW- that looks great!

The metal coating looks to be exactly the same as the OD in the stock.

don't know about the flush cups. I only found Uncle mikes when I searched for them.

So, I bet you were prone behind her in the house weren't ya?!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:57:44 AM EDT
[#2]

So, I bet you were prone behind her in the house weren't ya?!

Heck yeah! I also sighted her in this morning at 30yds from the back porch That should get me pretty close for Saturday.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#3]
NICE STICK!!! (and glass)

The GAP gang sure do one heck of a job! I am sitting on the edge of my seat waiting on my call from GAP......anyday now......(but proly next week I guess)

So how did it group at 30 yds??
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#4]
That shore is purty.....
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:42:48 AM EDT
[#5]

I really didn't shoot it for any sort of group, I just made sure that I was hitting where I was aiming. It wouldn't be a good representation anyway, any decent rifle with good glass/rings and bases can put them in 1 hole at 30yds.
This weekend is the 1000yd match at the Elberton Gun Club (Saturday practice/Sunday Match), so the first time I'll seriously shoot it will be Saturday.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#6]

it was a joke...........

So what is the deal with the Elberton gun club? Where is it located? What style of shooting? F-Class? Targets? Don't think I can make this one, when is the next one?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#7]
"10 A F#$KING 10"

Very nice man.....Makes me drool
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#8]

So what is the deal with the Elberton gun club? Where is it located? What style of shooting? F-Class? Targets? Don't think I can make this one, when is the next one?

It's actually the Elbert County Gun Club and its located in Elberton. It's mainly a trap and skeet facility, but it does have a 400yd rifle range and a nice pistol range as well. I think it's $70 a year or something like that to join and I THINK you have to be a member to shoot in the matches. That sucks but I guess it keeps there revenue going. Law Enforcement memberships are free.

I'll be honest, this is my 1st 1000yd match at the club but according to Ed Baker over on Snipershide in the S3 section this is what he had to say:

The match in Elberton is a benchrest match for both score and group size at 1000 yards. Course of fire is (2) eight round relays. In both relays, they take the best six shots on target for score and group size. Standard 1K B/R target. You have both factory and custom classes. Light Varmit is 6mm and below. Heavy Varmit is 6.5mm and above.

There are alot of dedicated BR guys there and they are anal about everything, but it should still be a fun shoot. According to Chief O'Neal at GSH and Ed, they are considering opening up a treeline on the 1000rd range so they can shoot 2000yds-that should be interesting.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Stop it man!!!!!!!!

I just knew it was going to be the 1st verifiable GA Shrike.

Someday I'll post pictures of my Shirke that's been on order since '02.

BTW: Nice weapon.

Eagerly waiting with fingers crossed in GA.

TD
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I answered your question in your other thread.  Are you coming to Texas for SHC 2006 in Kingsville (March), or TacPro match in Stephenville (June)?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:11:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Are you coming to Texas for SHC 2006 in Kingsville (March), or TacPro match in Stephenville (June)?

I plan on being at both, I already got the time scheduled to be off!

I would have loved to join you guys at Pickens this weekend and it was a really hard decision to not go. However, there are 2 matches coming up in the next few weeks that I really need to get ready for. So instead of looking like a fool, I opted for some good practice so I can be ready.

Whatcha need to know about Hardrock? There is a bunkhouse there with about 10-15 bunks in it. It's usually reserved for those that have been there before. According to Joe, he got an email from one of the coordinators that says you can camp in the area of the Bunkhouse though.
FYI, you may want to consider a handload for the 1000yd shoot as factory 168grn FGMM will have a hard time making it because it starts to go transonic prior to the 1000yd line and the 168's don't survive the transition very well.  
I've got some that will work for you and it has worked extremely well in every bolt rifle I have shot it through if you want some. The load gives me just over 2700fps with a 175grn SMK and a 20" Mike Rock barrel. It's more than sufficient for 1000yds.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:01:05 AM EDT
[#14]
How does the bolt feel with the ceracoat? George said it would feel a little ruff for a while.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:09:57 AM EDT
[#15]

How does the bolt feel with the ceracoat? George said it would feel a little ruff for a while.

The bolt did feel a little rough at first but I just sat around and worked the bolt. After cycling it about 100x or so, it now feels alot better.
I'll be honest the Ceracoat looks very nice, but I don't think it holds up nearly as well as Duracoat or MolyResin. My other GAP rifle was done in black Ceracoat and alot of it has worn off. On the other hand, my buddies Savage that I refinished in Green Duracoat has held up very nicely.
Kyle, I'll talk to Joe this week and see about if we can carpool or something like that. I already have a bunch of ammo loaded so if you want to shoot some to get your dope before shooting, let me know.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

My other GAP rifle was done in black Ceracoat and alot of it has worn off. On the other hand, my buddies Savage that I refinished in Green Duracoat has held up very nicely.

Bill, I didn't recall from our first GSH shoot, but you did the job on Joe's Savage? Did you do the scope as well? It looked great. I hope Joe didn't think I was ragging on Savage in our conversations. I was just talking from the perspective of how they are received in the LR community, which doesn't fit because of how they shoot.

BTW, I just ordered some OD Green and Milspec Tan Molyresin from Norrells yesterday. I'm gonna coat my Remmy action. I just haven't decided whether I want to try to match the stock pattern or go with one solid color. I'll probably custom mix it to match the green in the stock.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#18]
huh... I had heard that the ceracoat was one of the best coatings you could get.......and thats why I got it

Where is it wearing off on your rifle at?

How long does it take you ATL guys to get to hardrock? I am thinking about trying to make this match, only problem is that I will not get there till WAY after dark Friday or early Saturday morning just before the match.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:37:28 AM EDT
[#19]

The Ceracoat is nice, it's just that it eventually wears off. I wish I had seen this before I refinished the other GAP rifle (sold the action to a buddy) and I would have taken pictures. After 1500rnds, the bolt and bolt raceway were definetely worn down (the finish, not the metal) and looking silver.
On the other hand, I have another bolt rifle with 2000+ rounds finished in MolyResin that hasn't worn yet. Joe Stansbury on Snipershide (GTG922E, here) has 1500+ rounds through his Duracoated Savage and you can see "rub" marks where the bolt makes contact but it hasn't worn through yet and doesn't look like it will anytime soon. Since he bought the other GAP rifle, I definetely don't foresee it wearing though

As for trip time to Hardrock, it's just over 2hrs usually from where I am in Snellville. I hope to see you there, there will be a few other Georgia members there also.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#20]

I hope to see you there, there will be a few other Georgia members there also.

hope to make it, just waiting on my stick from GAP............................................
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top