Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/16/2006 4:01:56 PM EDT

Hi,

I'm thinking of maybe getting into long range shooting, any good boards to visit / reading material to check out?

Thanks,

Leon
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:41:10 PM EDT
Oddly enough........www.long-range.com
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:14:18 PM EDT
Leon,
Google is your friend

Safely back from the States? Did you enjoy yourself? (silly question really - we all saw that you enjoyed yourself)
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:08:11 AM EDT
hi, thanks for the links, my trip was great thanks
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:14:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 6:07:21 AM EDT by vito113]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:18:26 AM EDT
Well, you'll need to get your arse BACK to the club to get your FAC then won't you!!!!!

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:14:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By elucidate:
Well, you'll need to get your arse BACK to the club to get your FAC then won't you!!!!!

WHAT, NO FAC????

Is Leon the gender bender you were telling us about, Elucidate?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:33:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Scope-eye:

WHAT, NO FAC????

Is Leon the gender bender you were telling us about, Elucidate?

Ya want to pay for everything? go ahead
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:46:20 PM EDT
You're a STUDENT.

Loadsa money!!!

Club membership £50

Cabinet £50

FAC £50

It's not a lot.

Did you get my bloody message about tommorow or what, you coming out???

Dave
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:03:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2006 3:05:22 PM EDT by vito113]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:07:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By leonUK:
Hi,

I'm thinking of maybe getting into long range shooting, any good boards to visit / reading material to check out?

Thanks,

Leon

Leon

Check this site out it is our club Offa's Dyke

http://www.offasdyke.surf3.net/

We shoot primarily long range, Saturday we were at J3a range Sennybridge shooting at 1100 yards

Have a look at the range calender and see if you can come along to any of the dates I will be more than happy to let you use one of my rifles so you can see if you like it (shooting long range that is not my rifle)

As I am sure so will the other guys

Just IM me so with a few dates

Stu

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:48:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/18/2006 3:50:13 PM EDT by leonUK]

You're a STUDENT.

Loadsa money!!!

Club membership £50

Cabinet £50

FAC £50

It's not a lot.

Did you get my bloody message about tommorow or what, you coming out???

Dave

hi man,

I'm probably going to be boring and not go out. I've just had a ruckus with a lady friend of mine I guess its not that expensive but I'm going to need a rifle to go with it, would it matter that I don't live where my safe would be? (It would be at Brightwell)
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:52:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Pep:

Originally Posted By leonUK:
Hi,

Thanks,

Leon

Leon

Check this site out it is our club Offa's Dyke

http://www.offasdyke.surf3.net/

We shoot primarily long range, Saturday we were at J3a range Sennybridge shooting at 1100 yards

Have a look at the range calender and see if you can come along to any of the dates I will be more than happy to let you use one of my rifles so you can see if you like it (shooting long range that is not my rifle)

As I am sure so will the other guys

Just IM me so with a few dates

Stu

Thanks! I'll try and work out how far away these places are
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:03:11 AM EDT
Pep (Stu) - Are you guys shooting at Whittington on Sunday ? I'll pop over for a chat if you're about

Cheers
Steven
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:25:00 PM EDT
England: 1
Me: 0

The longest range I have acess to is only 600 yards long. While there are longer ranges in my State, they are both over two hours drive from where I live.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:35:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:

The longest range I have acess to is only 600 yards long. While there are longer ranges in my State, they are both over two hours drive from where I live.

Are there no friendly farmers over there where you can shoot?

The furthest I can get out to is about 600 yards, on one section of ground (none range) that i can shoot over?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:33:05 PM EDT
Not really. At least not in my neck of the woods so to speak.

The area around here has a lot of small towns and roads and such. And while there are plenty of shooting clubs around, most don’t go beyond 200 yards.

And as far as farms, again there is developement of one sort or another bordering most farms around where I live. Housing, roads, rivers or streams. I'd really have to travel to find an open spot.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:31:16 PM EDT
How about military ranges? Where do your National Guard train? You have Mechanised Infantry units (112) that should have some .50's they need to practice with? Or is sharing military ranges a "no no" ?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:59:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bunnyassassin:
How about military ranges? Where do your National Guard train? You have Mechanised Infantry units (112) that should have some .50's they need to practice with? Or is sharing military ranges a "no no" ?

To the north of me by about 2½ hours is Fort Indiantown Gap. There is a National Guard and two Reserve units near where I live. Two are just down from where I live. I'm talking about wakling distance here. I asked about me being able to shoot at Indiantown Gap a few years ago. I was told:

NO.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:52:14 AM EDT
Are you reservist material?

I did 2 weeks with the Indianna National Guard out at Camp Grayling in Michagin and most of those guys brought there own "toys" with them......

Or is that just taking it a little tooooo far?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:59:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:

Just drive faster! [
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:26:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bunnyassassin:
Are you reservist material?

I did 2 weeks with the Indianna National Guard out at Camp Grayling in Michagin and most of those guys brought there own "toys" with them......

Or is that just taking it a little tooooo far?

Let me put it this way:
I got out in Jan 1981.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:05:54 PM EDT
My local range is only 50m but I've done a fair few trips to Brecon.
My Greenall AR shoots flawlesly out to 300m with and without scope fitted.
I had tried to shoot further when we use the longer ranges like XRange with grim results...I do not have an expensive scope and my rifle is hardly top spec but I'd love to have some guidance/tuition from you AR Gurrus when I'm able to get to some real range time in after my opp.

I did see a few guys with AR's last year at X Range from London way who were consistantly hitting 600m+ targets I think Stu may have been with them but I can't remember (and I don't know what Stu looks like). I do remember the rifles were not stock and there had been some money invested in optics.

Oooo AR
Taffy
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:14:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/21/2006 9:15:41 AM EDT by leonUK]
sounds cool, I guess I should join y'alls club, I think I've been in marlow for near a year now ( I havent been for a good 6 months!) because I got fed up with .22 plinking at short ranges. I'll try and head down with Dave sometime and sort stuff out. How much does a reasonable bolt action rifle cost?

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:15:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/21/2006 2:24:24 PM EDT by Pep]

Originally Posted By steven_uk:
Pep (Stu) - Are you guys shooting at Whittington on Sunday ? I'll pop over for a chat if you're about

Cheers
Steven

Hi Steve

I won't be at Whittington although I'll be at F range (sennybridge on Saturday 28th Jan)

Sighting in new toy

IM me if you want to meet up I'll drop you my mobile number

There is a cracking cafe just near the range if you fancy a fry up before hand

Regards

Stu
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:21:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Taffy223:
I had tried to shoot further when we use the longer ranges like XRange with grim results...I do not have an expensive scope and my rifle is hardly top spec but I'd love to have some guidance/tuition from you AR Gurrus when I'm able to get to some real range time in after my opp.

I did see a few guys with AR's last year at X Range from London way who were consistantly hitting 600m+ targets I think Stu may have been with them but I can't remember (and I don't know what Stu looks like). I do remember the rifles were not stock and there had been some money invested in optics.

Oooo AR
Taffy

I've got a cheapie Tasco scope - and can manage to hit things at 600yards. What ammo are you using, if its less than 69gr then thats probably the issue...

Nick
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:21:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By target-hunter:

Oooo AR
Taffy

I've got a cheapie Tasco scope - and can manage to hit things at 600yards. What ammo are you using, if its less than 69gr then thats probably the issue...

Nick

Nick

My best handloads to date were achieving sub 1/2" groups @50m with 52gr SMK & 24gr R15
69gr SMK was spreading out to about 2" and the Hornaday 68gr was keyholeing all over the shop. I think Matt said mine was a 1/8 twist(short barrel). I've not had much range time lately so I realy need to do some more testing. And yeah 52gr past 300 may be pushing it a tad. I'd have to admit I'd prefer a different rifle for the longer distances but Mrs Taffy has a hold of the purse strings at the moment

A few of the guys here were telling me to use a faster powder but as I said my range time has been curtailed lately so any testing will have to wait.

My cheap scope has served me well giving great results out to 300m I can't fault it realy.

Cheers

Taffy
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:48:59 PM EDT

Oooo AR
Taffy

Hi Taffy

Yes It was probably me on X range have shot Sennybridge a fair bit

I can shoot 600 yards with my AR using hand loads without too much hassle

I shoot 77grain Sierra's with 18.5 grains of H4198 this gives me 2550 fps which is about 20 minutes at 600 yards from a 100 yard zero.

I used to use 69 grain Sierra's but found them a bit light if things got abit windy

The optics are not too expensive, I got rid of the Nightforce that you probably saw and opted for a fixed 10 power Bushnell (which is superb)

If you come to F range this Saturday try some of my match loads in your rifle (providing it has the twist rate)

IM me and I'll load you a few up

Stu

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:47:48 AM EDT
Shoot most of the time to 600m and beyond. Took this scope view at 600m

Please don´t hate mehttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/sintec1/DSCN0269.jpg
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:03:02 AM EDT
Where's the snow?!?!

Toe
Top Top