Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 11:22:15 AM EDT
Hello all.  I am lookong for ranges in my area that I can shoot my AR in this winter.  I'm in eastern Nassau county.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Calverton range -- Exit 71 on the LIE.  100 or 200 yards and as long as you're cool about it you can put through a 30 round mag without being hassled.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto on Calverton, but the lunch lady from hell does get a bit peeved if one does "rapid fire."
If one actually aims between shots, shouldn't be a problem though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ditto on Calverton, but the lunch lady from hell does get a bit peeved if one does "rapid fire."
If one actually aims between shots, shouldn't be a problem though.

Yeah she got me for rapid fire when I upped my ROF to about one a second with my buddy's USR.  I WAS aiming between shots though, as I was resting it on a sandbag and it barely moved between shots.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#4]
http://calshoot.com/

Yeah, calverton is really the only evil rifle friendly public range on LI. It's a long drive for most people but it's worth it. They have 50, 100 and 200 yard targets but they didn't have any 100 yard targets up when I went a couple weeks ago.  It's pretty nice and it only costs $10 a day.  They also sell targets and ammo. Try to go during the week when it's not crowded and you can shoot as fast as you want.  Also, the line usually runs itself when it's not crowded, meaning there is no range officer to hassle you.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Come down to the Brookhaven range tomorrow I'll be working there all day. Only 5 people showed up today. AR's are welcome, no mag limit when I'm on but rapid fire is a no-no and no standing.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#6]
IRWFO,
I stopped by 2 weeks ago at Brookhaven to say hi and got a little bit of an orientation from Charlie and another guy a little younger, probably my age.  They referred to you when I spoke of my AR.  They also politely mentioned NO RAPID FIRE but I took note that I did not hear anything about a mag limit.  I don't mind the no rapid fire mantra, and since my wife and I will spend half the time shooting handguns anyway I don't even mind the bench-only for rifles rule.

BUTTTTTT, whats with the "only one bullseye on the board" rule?
I usually use old desk calendar pages with either painted or pre-made targets glued on, usually 3 to 4 on a calendar page.  At 100 yards with a scope, or a handgun at 15 yards, a pie plate target is just right for me.  But only ONE ?

Thanks for any info !
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:54:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Charlie (my Boss) said you stopped by, sorry I missed you.  For the pistol range they want one target in the center mostly because the frames are made of wood & even then they are always being shot to crap. In general for the rifle I was told to try & keep the shooters to only put no more then 2 targets at a time. 1 above the other in the center of the board. Again to try and save the frames. The pistol I can't ever bend the rule (been chewed out several times for that even though I knew the shooter was good). For the scoped rifle @ 100 yrds I most likely wouldn't have said anything. Hope to catch you again.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:04:58 AM EDT
[#8]
At the Peconic & Roslyn they hold matches where the only rifle you see are AR 15 . Have any of you heard of rattle battle match , its all rapid fire in 50sec. at each yard line The real match is held at a range with 600  , 500 , 300 & 200 yards ,but they do have reduce targets for 200 yards .Its a LOT fun . If you want to learn more please go to the S.A.F.S in April 29 & 30 at Peconic. Bruce Kraft
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Go to Calverton, its a zoo there. You can shoot whatever you want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top