Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/18/2009 5:47:35 PM EDT
At last night's TFA meeting, TFA Exec. Director John Harris mentioned that there's a good chance of the new law passing allowing one to have a loaded long gun in their vehicle IF they have a HCP. This does NOT mean one can CCW a long gun, just that one can have one IN their vehicle.

Sen. Mae Beavers was the guest speaker last night & she was funny & informative. She said some light on what carries the most weight in the method we contact our reps, i.e. phone calls or e-mails.

John Harris also mentioned that the esteemed Jimmy Naifeh isn't too darn happy with the flurry of gun bills being passed out of committee these days. Seems he never knew that this could happen when HE was House Speaker.  

Bob Pope is having Speaker Williams on his radio show this Sat. as well. 11am, 99.3FM in the Nashville area. No clue if one can listen in on the net if they're out of range, sorry. Show is also on 1200AM, WAMB.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]
What did she say was the most effective way to contact them?
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Good news, easier to load mags before I go to the range. I don't have a trunk to keep them separate.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 4:39:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Here's my summary of the meeting, as posted on the TFA Forum.

It was a good meeting. We had 41 people in attendance––several of whom were first-time visitors. Attendance
was down 5 or 6 from last month...but several school systems are on spring break, which may have had an
effect on attendance. Ordering & food service went much more smoothly, too. Norma worked hard to take good
care of us!

We had updates on recent "events" where TFA had a presence, including:

The Sparta Gun show (7 Mar): John, Rob, & Lou made a day-trip to a semi-annual regional show in Sparta, where
they were later joined by Bob Pope. Plans are already being made to return for the fall show, in greater numbers,
and perhaps to begin an Upper-Cumberland chapter. At least 6 new members signed up.

The Wild Beast Feast at Thompson Station Baptist Church (same day): I worked a table there. It's a Christian
outreach for sportsmen sponsored annually by that congregation. There were about 400 people in attendance,
many of whom have carry permits, but were unfamiliar with TFA. Two individuals & one family joined TFA. We
plan on being there next year, too.

Discussion of the upcoming Smyrna show: workers are needed, especially for Saturday! Contact Rob to arrange a time.
Several first-time workers have already volunteered. There's no such thing as too many workers.

Senator Mae Beavers spoke on the gun bills that are before the Legislature, specifically those just now beginning to
move in the Senate. While our prospects for success are good in the House, they're great in the Senate, thanks in
no small measure to Senator Beavers. She & John discussed the specifics of several bills.

She recommended calling, rather than e-mailing, your elected representatives. Calls are more personal, and carry
more weight––even if all you do is leave a message. Follow up with an e-mail, if you wish. E-mails, while they do
get read, sometimes are just skimmed––especially when they're boiler-plate text from many people. As Rep. Eddie
Bass advised last month, she suggested that if you do e-mail, take a few moments actually to write your own message,
not simply to cut & paste one from another source. It carries considerably more weight.

It was another good evening of guns & politics!

David
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 6:54:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Going to call today....

Need the bill number, anyone know what it is?

Also, what is the best way to track the progress of these
bills going through the system in Nashville?

Thanks, Joe
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 9:58:25 AM EDT
[#5]
so does anybody know what the best vehicle mount for an AR is? i'm going to go ahead and start looking.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Going to call today....

Thanks, Joe

Follow the legislative activity at the Tennessee Firearms Association forum

The link is to the 3 bills active today...check other places in the forum for more info on other bills.

And, specific to the long guns question:
HB 0390 - Fincher ("A TFA Member")
CRIMINAL LAW: Loaded guns in vehicles. Allows a person with a handgun carry permit to possess a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun in a motor vehicle.

HB 0390 Passes:
Ayes - 82
Nays - 10

Also, sign up for the TFA e-mail legislative alerts.  They provide a summary of the bill, & reasons why TFA is pro or con.  There's no charge, you
don't have to be a TFA member, and we don't sell or otherwise disperse the e-mails.

We've also started using Twitter... but I ain't there yet...

David
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Phone. But she also mentioned most Rep's share a secretary among 2-3 Reps, so she may be a bit harried.

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

[div style='margin-left: 40px;']HB 0390 - Fincher ("A TFA Member")
CRIMINAL LAW: Loaded guns in vehicles. Allows a person with a handgun carry permit to possess a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun in a motor vehicle.

HB 0390 Passes:
Ayes - 82
Nays - 10

Does the State web site list who voted how on each vote?

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#9]
DOES THIS MEAN IT PASSED!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
so does anybody know what the best vehicle mount for an AR is? i'm going to go ahead and start looking.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

There used to be a place in Texas that made a mount that strapped to the back of your seats (for a typical extended-cab truck) and allowed your gun to ride behind the seats, in front of the back seats.

There's also the truck vault - and when I'm exclusively in MS, my AR just rides under the back seat.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear there's some movement on this - it's about time!

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Still has to pass the Senate (I believe) & then Bredesen either lets it sit to become law, signs it or veto's it. My bet is he won't sign it & just lets it become law w/o signature.

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still has to pass the Senate (I believe) & then Bredesen either lets it sit to become law, signs it or veto's it. My bet is he won't sign it & just lets it become law w/o signature.

Excuse my ignorance, how long would it sit until it became law without his signature? Would it just be whatever date is indicated on the bill if there is one?
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 7:05:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[div style='margin-left: 40px;']HB 0390 - Fincher ("A TFA Member")

HB 0390 Passes:
Ayes - 82
Nays - 10

Does the State web site list who voted how on each vote?

Yes, here.  I haven't had time follow the procedure to check on
a specific bill yet.  

However, John's posted some of this information on the TFA forum

David

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excuse my ignorance, how long would it sit until it became law without his signature? Would it just be whatever date is indicated on the bill if there is one?

It's a fixed length of time.  According to the Legislature's web site, it's 10 days, not counting Sundays.

David
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I can slip it in, I will ask the governor how he feels. I sometimes see him shopping in the area.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 8:08:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If I can slip it in, I will ask the governor how he feels.

I will SO refrain from making a snide comment on that....................      

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Thank you !!!

Quoted:
Quoted:
Going to call today....

Thanks, Joe

Follow the legislative activity at the Tennessee Firearms Association forum

The link is to the 3 bills active today...check other places in the forum for more info on other bills.

Thank you !!!

Thank you!!!
And, specific to the long guns question:
HB 0390 - Fincher ("A TFA Member")

HB 0390 Passes:
Ayes - 82
Nays - 10

Also, sign up for the TFA e-mail legislative alerts.  They provide a summary of the bill, & reasons why TFA is pro or con.  There's no charge, you
don't have to be a TFA member, and we don't sell or otherwise disperse the e-mails.

We've also started using Twitter... but I ain't there yet...

David

Link Posted: 3/20/2009 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#18]
hey guys, i just want to point something out here...

The NRA gave Henry Fincher (sponsor of this bill) a C rating on gun issues in 2008 because some of their TN staff are from the shallow end of the gene pool.   Henry shoots at my 3gun matches, and at several IDPA matches, etc.  He is as pro-gun as any of us.

While you're calling your state senators to get this bill passed, also drop a line to the NRA and tell them to stop being fucknozzles.
Link Posted: 3/20/2009 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate that, and I owe you one. I had no idea I let the cat out of the bag on the latest political scandal
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#20]
anyone got an update on this? I think I saw that it made it through the House.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Nothing's happened since Friday.  The legislature doesn't meet during the day on Mondays (it's
a travel day from the various home districts).  They do meet in the afternoon/evening on Mondays,
but tonight was the Governor's budget address...so nothing much else went on because of that.

I'll try to post weekly legislative updates from the Tennessee Firearms Association, but I urge everyone
to simply sign up for them directly from TFA.  It's easier, & you get the information immediately when
it's sent, not when I have time to re-post it.

David

www.tfaonline.org
www.tfaonline.org/forums
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 4:27:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
At last night's TFA meeting, TFA Exec. Director John Harris mentioned that there's a good chance of the new law passing allowing one to have a loaded long gun in their vehicle IF they have a HCP. This does NOT mean one can CCW a long gun, just that one can have one IN their vehicle.

Sen. Mae Beavers was the guest speaker last night & she was funny & informative. She said some light on what carries the most weight in the method we contact our reps, i.e. phone calls or e-mails.

John Harris also mentioned that the esteemed Jimmy Naifeh isn't too darn happy with the flurry of gun bills being passed out of committee these days. Seems he never knew that this could happen when HE was House Speaker.  

Bob Pope is having Speaker Williams on his radio show this Sat. as well. 11am, 99.3FM in the Nashville area. No clue if one can listen in on the net if they're out of range, sorry. Show is also on 1200AM, WAMB.

I like 99.3.  It's one of my presets for the oldies radio and some of their talk shows.   Never thought I'd say this....Thanks for the info Bob

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 7:54:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Some more info:

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Senate Judiciary Firearms & Ammunitions Subcommittee –– Wednesday at 8:30 am –– LP 12

SB 0578
Jackson CRIMINAL LAW: Loaded guns in vehicles. Allows a person with a handgun carry permit to possess a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun in a motor vehicle. (HOUSE: HB 0390, Fincher; House passed 03/19/2009.) FISCAL NOTE: Dated: March 2, 2009 Decrease State Revenue - Not Significant Decrease State Expenditures - Not Significant Decrease Local Revenue - Not Significant Decrease Local Expenditures - Not Significant

TFA SUPPORTS this legislation.

Let your state senator know you want him/her to vote for this bill !!!!

Thanks, Joe
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Been awhile.  Anybody got an update?
Link Posted: 4/14/2009 8:25:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Been awhile.  Anybody got an update?

Yes, posted weekly...

ARFCOM thread

Or, check TFA's website  See the Legislative Updates section, and also the Forum

David
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 7:25:23 AM EDT
[#26]
This bill (sb0578) passed the House and was sent over to the Sen.
It has been sitting in commity sence 3/23/2009. I'm not sure if it's going
to the floor for a vote or if it's dead?

Link:  http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=SB0578

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/15/2009 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#29]
I figured this would have already made its way through the House!  I bought an 18inch barrel for my 870 to keep under the back seat of my truck... for the occasional trips in to Memphis.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I figured this would have already made its way through the House!  I bought an 18inch barrel for my 870 to keep under the back seat of my truck... for the occasional trips in to Memphis.

You might want to get something full auto with a 100rd beta mag.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might want to get something full auto with a 100rd beta mag.

If my 870 gets stolen out of my truck... not as expensive as my AR to replace.
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#32]
OK, I found out that SB0578 is set for action on 4-22-2009 (Wednesday)!

SB 0578
HB 0390*
Loaded guns in vehicles. Allows a person with a handgun carry permit to possess a loaded rifle or loaded shotgun in a motor vehicle. (S: Jackson; H: Fincher)  Set for Senate Judiciary Committee 04/22/2009. House passed 03/19/2009.

Lets all call the Senators on this committee asap!!!!

Joe
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Done
Link Posted: 4/18/2009 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What barrel did you buy and where did you buy it? I have been looking for one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2009 4:13:43 AM EDT
[#35]
I ordered it from Gander Mountain about 3 weeks ago and I'm still waiting... I guess everything is backed up right now.  It's  an 18 inch smooth-bore Remington barrel like what the company is putting on their tactical 870 shotguns. It was around $140 + tax.

Thanks for the update, Joe.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Any recent news?
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Any recent news?

It was up for the Senate Judiciary committee today, it seems to have gotten skipped over. Ms Beavers was muted on the video when I viewed it. You can follow the bill's progress here
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any recent news?

It was up for the Senate Judiciary committee today, it seems to have gotten skipped over. Ms Beavers was muted on the video when I viewed it. You can follow the bill's progress here

Does that mean they should take it up today?

the last entry on that site says "Placed on S. Jud Comm. cal. for 04/22/2009"
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Actions Taken on SB0578 Action Date
Rec. for pass. w/ am., ref. to S. Cal. Comm. Ayes 6, Nays 2 PNV 1 04/29/2009

Does this mean its a done deal?
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Actions Taken on SB0578 Action Date
Rec. for pass. w/ am., ref. to S. Cal. Comm. Ayes 6, Nays 2 PNV 1 04/29/2009

Does this mean its a done deal?

The judicial committee passed it, it still needs to be voted on by the full senate to pass. The calendar committee will put it on the senate calendar.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Very intresting debate on this bill. It did pass out of
the Sen Jud commity and will now go to the full senate
for a vote. It looks as if it will pass! (good news)

Here is a link to the tn.gov site and the video of the
debate and how an amendment was put onto the bill.
Good civics lesson.

Joe

Link:  http://tnga.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=78&clip_id=1338

Link2: http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=SB0578

to see the video just click on the bill # (sb0578) below the video player.

START CALLING YOUR STATE SENATORS !!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Very intresting debate on this bill. It did pass out of
the Sen Jud commity and will now go to the full senate
for a vote. It looks as if it will pass! (good news)

Here is a link to the tn.gov site and the video of the
debate and how an amendment was put onto the bill.
Good civics lesson.

Joe

Link:  http://tnga.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=78&clip_id=1338

Link2: http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/Default.aspx?BillNumber=SB0578

to see the video just click on the bill # (sb0578) below the video player.

START CALLING YOUR STATE SENATORS !!!!!!!!!!

Find your senator here:

http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/senate/members/

(enter your street address and city in the middle of the page)

call them!  You can bet the anti-gunners are calling them.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#43]
After watching the video, I've come to the conclusion that James Kyle is an idiot.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
After watching the video, I've come to the conclusion that James Kyle is an idiot.

Yep! It's time for him to go back to his district and be a productive citizen.

Link Posted: 5/4/2009 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Now where does this bill stand? The latest update on the state site is from last week.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Was the amendment tacked on or did it not go on?
Link Posted: 5/6/2009 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Ok, Scheduled for sen May 7th.......
Kyle added a poison amendment to the bill.
Basiclly, not much change to what we have now.
The amendment says, no loaded guns, chamber, or mag in the gun.
ie; empty shotgun tube, etc. the only thing would be a loaded mag
would be allowed in the vehicle but not in the gun.
This guy is an ass and needs to be thrown out of government
Maybe the amendment will be stripped away.

Amendment No. 2 to SB0578
Kyle
Signature of Sponsor
AMEND S e nate Bill No. 578 House Bill No. 390*
SA0441
-1-
by deleting all language after the enacting clause and by substituting instead the following:
SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1308, is amended by
deleting subdivision (a)(1) and substituting instead the following:
(1) Of a rifle or shotgun that does not have ammunition in the chamber or
cylinder, and a clip or magazine containing ammunition is not inserted into the
firearm;
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect on July 1, 2009, the public welfare
requiring it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2009 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Ok, Scheduled for sen May 7th.......

Kyle added a poison amendment to the bill.

Basiclly, not much change to what we have now.

The amendment says, no loaded guns, chamber, or mag in the gun.

ie; empty shotgun tube, etc. the only thing would be a loaded mag

would be allowed in the vehicle but not in the gun.

This guy is an ass and needs to be thrown out of government

Maybe the amendment will be stripped away.

Amendment No. 2 to SB0578

Kyle

Signature of Sponsor

AMEND S e nate Bill No. 578 House Bill No. 390*

SA0441

-1-

by deleting all language after the enacting clause and by substituting instead the following:

SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1308, is amended by

deleting subdivision (a)(1) and substituting instead the following:

(1) Of a rifle or shotgun that does not have ammunition in the chamber or

cylinder, and a clip or magazine containing ammunition is not inserted into the

firearm;

SECTION 2. This act shall take effect on July 1, 2009, the public welfare

requiring it.

How is that any different that what we have now?

Just friggin stupid.
Link Posted: 5/6/2009 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How is that any different that what we have now?

Just friggin stupid.

Yes it's stupid. Right now you can't have any ammo or loaded mags near your gun. It's not defined very well at all. Even as amended it's better, but I just want to run across the street to the capitol and yell "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED MOTHERFUCKER!!!!".
Link Posted: 5/6/2009 3:07:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top