Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2013 6:17:01 PM EDT
Link

RACINE, Wis. -
Police said they arrested a Milwaukee man after his loaded handgun fell from his pocket and discharged inside a clothing store in Racine.
View Quote

According to the story, he's a CCW licensee.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice...

I can't say I've ever been remotely close to having a firearm fall off of me. How does this happen short of some sort of pooping mishap? Incredibly shitty holster?

And seriously, research your firearms. If it can go off when you drop it and you might do that, you might want to consider a different one
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of gun discharges from being dropped?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind of gun discharges from being dropped?
View Quote

Specific 1911 models, Makarovs if the conditions are right, lots of em do. There's too many choices out there to bother buying one outside of historical interest though IMO.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Burlington Coat factory
The most ghetto store I ever walked into.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#5]
The lesson is that CCW is a serious responsibility and not  using  piss poor equipment and technique could avoid all that.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Its imperative that this shit doesn't happen, because it bolsters all the idiots that claim its unsafe to have guns around them in businesses.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:38:06 AM EDT
[#7]

In other news someone with a Wisconsin State Drivers License ran over a fire hydrant.

From Texas here, shall issue licenses have been there from 1995.

Folks, it takes a bit for most to learn how to properly conceale a handgun and even then there'll still be idiots.

I find a CHL accident like this happens at about the same frequency rate as negligent discharges for Police Officers.

We know it's good for the states to have shall issue concealed licenses, let's shower those opposed with the positives and not dwell on the negatives.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:47:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The lesson is that CCW is a serious responsibility and not  using  piss poor equipment and technique could avoid all that.
View Quote

This!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Meh.  I've dropped and KICKED guns 20' across a crowded location (crappy ankle holster FTL).  Shit happens sometimes.  That said, what pistol made in the last 60 years isn't drop-safe.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#10]
A little while back a guy in GD shared his story of an ND he had in the bathroom at work.  Set his 1911 on one of those toilet seat cover dispensers while doing his business.  It fell off, hit muzzle first on the tile floor and discharged.  The slide got wedged slightly open because the safety was still engaged.  They were chalking it up to the floating firing pin of that model 1911.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A little while back a guy in GD shared his story of an ND he had in the bathroom at work.  Set his 1911 on one of those toilet seat cover dispensers while doing his business.  It fell off, hit muzzle first on the tile floor and discharged.  The slide got wedged slightly open because the safety was still engaged.  They were chalking it up to the floating firing pin of that model 1911.
View Quote

Which is IMO a completely retarded design in the year 2013. Why bother buying a handgun that could do this? Buy a different one of the 5000 1911 models out there that are safe.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Was he sitting on a toilet 15 feet off the ground?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They were chalking it up to the floating firing pin of that model 1911.
View Quote

I mean no disrespect but this statement is just pure horse hooey.

1911 handguns discharge when someone disengages the thumb safety and then puts their finger on the trigger and applies 6-8 pounds of pressure not when they are "dropped" 3 feet.

Jeff
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Meh.  I've dropped and KICKED guns 20' across a crowded location (crappy ankle holster FTL).  Shit happens sometimes.  That said, what pistol made in the last 60 years isn't drop-safe.
View Quote

This story is much funnier with a few more details.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

1911 handguns discharge when someone disengages the thumb safety and then puts their finger on the trigger and applies 6-8 pounds of pressure not when they are "dropped" 3 feet.

Jeff
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jeff

70 series.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Jeff
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jeff

Pounds are not a unit of pressure.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Jeff
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jeff

I'll see if I can find the thread.  Pistol fired while in the safe position.  Apparently this has happened more than a few time with the preFP block 1911's.

Found it here yougo.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  Yes it is.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 6:36:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes.  Yes it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  Yes it is.

There's a reason those details aren't posted.  Wonder what the SOL is on that particular mishap?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:08:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking this was one of those paper seat cover dispensers hanging on the wall.  Could have been a few feet up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top