Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/8/2004 2:27:26 PM EST
Is it legal to have all your mags loaded in your car when transporting it? And of course the rifle/handgun will be in the trunk.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:14:53 PM EST
YES. The firearm itself can be loaded as long as it is not accessible without leaving the vehicle. So loaded mags are fine as long as they or the firearm is inaccessible.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:40:27 AM EST
or locked... i would guess even a trigger lock would count as well...
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 12:54:16 PM EST
I was under the impression that mags cannot be loaded during transport even if in seperate locked compartments from the firearm.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:40:49 PM EST
From the way the law is written having a mag loaded is the same as having the firearm loaded I thought. I would assume that no matter how you do it if the LEO wants to make trouble for you he will.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:17:36 PM EST
Get your CCW and you won't have to worry about it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:28:55 PM EST
In the ORC, magazines, loaded or not, are NOT defined as firearms. You can transport loaded magazines in a vehicle without any issues, as long as they are not with the firearm in the passenger compartment. However, you can transport loaded magazines and a firearm together in the trunk.

Sarge
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:31:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2004 4:32:55 PM EST by AW4EVER]
The CCW will cover you for the pistol mags. I may be wrong here but I don't think CCW covers rifle mags. I was also under the impression that loaded rifle mags are considered a loaded firearm under Ohio law even if they're not in the rifle.
Any Ohio LEO's here to clear this up?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:53:50 PM EST
Yes.. I would like some clarification.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:37:37 PM EST
2923.16. Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.

(A) No person shall knowingly discharge a firearm while in or on a motor vehicle.

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless it is unloaded and is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;
(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;
(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;
(4) In plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:03:23 AM EST
I think the confusion is coming from the fact that if you have an unloaded firearm in the passenger compartment, AND loaded magazines for that firearm also in the passenger compartment, that can be construed as a loaded firearm in and of itself. Because of the ease with which that firearm could be made loaded, simply by placing the magazine in it, you may be charged with improperly transporting a loaded firearm. This would hold true for a revolver along with a speedloader as well.

Loaded magazines by themselves present no problem. In your question, just keep the magazines and firearms out of the passenger compartment.

Randy
Page Hometown » Ohio
Top Top