Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 7:25:08 PM EDT
Listening to this broadcast makes me think of the potential for natural disasters here in WA state.  I really need to upgrade my own disaster preparedness (water, food, ammo).

Anyone else feel like they would be caught with their pants down?  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#1]
You can never be too prepared, but no I'm not completely happy with my plans.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#2]
To save everyone a trip to GD here's a link: Scanner. Mostly LSP in Baton Rouge.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I've spent a fair amount of time in the field...I'm a 3 toed slot of the human kingdom right now.  Other than a few hundred rounds and a full pantry...I'm fucked.  I need to get my shit together.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've spent a fair amount of time in the field...I'm a 3 toed slot of the human kingdom right now.  Other than a few hundred rounds and a full pantry...I'm fucked.  I need to get my shit together.

We won't get a warning here. A 9.5 and everyone will be frozen in place. Odds are you'll be at home. I'm totally screwed if I happen to be at work.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#5]
IN all seriousness the lesson most to be learned is sticking together, training together, don't try to be the lone ranger or Rambo.

two pair can use traveling over-watch/bounding over watch to move, high capacity Main Battle Rifles even if it is only the AR carbine, no need to standardize the platform but try to standardize the ammo as much as possible.

Ofcoure a extreme high priority is communications, then food water{purification} shelter clothing.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
We won't get a warning here. A 9.5 and everyone will be frozen in place. Odds are you'll be at home. I'm totally screwed if I happen to be at work.

Think alternative transport, boat or plane, if people can mange to get to a rally point thats the nearest airstrip we will find a way to get to them for extraction, although we may have to be like the A team to get R-32 to fly with Da_Bunny as pilot  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
IN all seriousness the lesson most to be learned is sticking together, training together, don't try to be the lone ranger or Rambo.

two pair can use traveling over-watch/bounding over watch to move, high capacity Main Battle Rifles even if it is only the AR carbine, no need to standardize the platform but try to standardize the ammo as much as possible.

Ofcoure a extreme high priority is communications, then food water{purification} shelter clothing.

I think that is a brilliant recommendation since there is strength in numbers.  Especially if you have to take watch, etc.  I was reading a livejournal of some people at the directnic data center that had to revert to their military training to safeguard themselves and others in NO.  

Definitely alot to consider....I don't mean to go off the deep end or as Cav would say "go tin foil beanie".  It just makes it so glaringly obvious that I am ill prepared to deal with a disaster the magnitude of NO.    I always chcukle  at the folks selling food tablets at the WAC shows....I probobly should have at least considered it.

The bad part its...most survival people don't communicate well or articulate the real threat or risk without being perceived as a wacko.  I've met a few of them at WAC shows of the years peddling food storage and books on how to make punji sticks and Ninja tecniques.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
 Anyone else feel like they would be caught with their pants down?  

While I/we wouldn't be caught with our pants down, it is hard to prepare for every scenario. There is always room for improvements, we have been evaluating ours in the last few days, and were acually dicussing them a week ago.
 I am continuly amazed at the lack of simple preparation, water is a big one,  you can get in 24 or 36 packs of 1 liter bottles at Malwart, costco or any other store for $3-5 and throw it in the closet and forget about it until you NEED it.
 I/we live in  a very rural area, when I was a kid we would loose electricity for up to a week, now its 2-3 days, 3 or 4 times  most stormy winters, you don't have power and sometimes you cant drive the 25 miles to town where there is power so you need to be prepared, same goes for the snow we only get it every 4or 5 years, but its nice just to play outside with the kids making igloos(ingraining the survival mentality) and not having to worry about if we have enough food and stuff till it melts.

DD
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The bad part its...most survival people don't communicate well or articulate the real threat or risk without being perceived as a wacko.  I've met a few of them at WAC shows of the years peddling food storage and books on how to make punji sticks and Ninja tecniques.

This is a common problem with survivalists as they try to meet every possible METT-T instead of a general utilitarian plan and then practice it, you will always have individuals with their own idea of what is most important to them instead of a general flexible strategy able to adapt to the METT-T.

I been through a number of natural disasters and the bullshits evaporates instantly when faced with a real threat, self esteem doesn't seem so important if your about to die a ignominious death.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:30:05 PM EDT
[#10]
 Well that's all well and good. But once you need to survive the initial disaster. Not panicking can be hard to do when you are separated from your family.( Say at work)Have a plan but be flexible and be creative.Have some water some kind of light snack food in your car First aid kit , blanket a good knife and a few tools. You notice I did not say weapons. Most employers have a no weapon policy in place. So most of you wont have one with you.( I know some of you don't give a rip) :)

And your initial rally point will be at home anyway to get your families together. Then go from there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Think alternative transport, boat or plane, if people can mange to get to a rally point thats the nearest airstrip we will find a way to get to them for extraction, although we may have to be like the A team to get R-32 to fly with Da_Bunny as pilot  

Thats ok I'm a pilot too!
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I know of other members of this hometown forum that are also pilots, but again you need to be able to communicate and work together, if you can team up with fellow members you now have a to manuver with, another reason for comm is you need to know the conditions surrounding your "keep" besides coordinating your RP with fellow team mates, if there is no way to keep a go bag and rifle in your car then cache it near as possible to your work area even if it is a storage place rental place.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know of other members of this hometown forum that are also pilots, but again you need to be able to communicate and work together, if you can team up with fellow members you now have a to manuver with, another reason for comm is you need to know the conditions surrounding your "keep" besides coordinating your RP with fellow team mates, if there is no way to keep a go bag and rifle in your car then cache it near as possible to your work area even if it is a storage place rental place.

Fortunately for me work isn't to terribly far from home. And communications is important. Two way as well as a small FM radio. In fact strat.  Thanks to you I'm going to put a FRS/ GMRS? in my car and Truck and one at home for my daughter. Suggestions on Two way comm. welcome.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#14]
We pretty standardize with two meter mobiles in the rigs and tri-banders for handhelds, the Icom 706 will cover everything from 2meter to 80 meters and with a diodectomy it will do100 watts FRS.

The Icom T-8A tri-bander also has FRS capability, as with any radio antennas are everything, the BIGGER the better.

with off the shelf 2 meter and a half wave lenthg antenna we get a solid 25 mile radius simplex, more with repeaters bigger antennas and amplifiers.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Thats kinda odd this came up here. Today the wife and I decided to get 4 55gal drums from a friend of mine ($17 each like new) that had racing gas in them and fill them up with gas for hard times. I'll be doing this tomorrow long as gas is under $3.00 a Gal. And I'm going to Costco in Fife to get 50 1 gal jugs of water. Besause for one thats what I drink 90% of the time anyway.

I think having gas & water are high on the priority list.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:24:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Water storage is ok but you should conentrate on purification, the Big Berke water is made in America and a very good product, i use an imperial that does 5 gallons an hour yet telescopes together for fairly lightweight transport.

purification tabs and bladders take up very little space but will keep you in water in an emergancy, one thing about western Wa is it has lots of water.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Nobody should get on a chopper with that Fool!

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:17:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Anybody willing to ride this alternative mode of transportation?....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:19:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
We pretty standardize with two meter mobiles in the rigs and tri-banders for handhelds, the Icom 706 will cover everything from 2meter to 80 meters and with a diodectomy it will do100 watts FRS.

The Icom T-8A tri-bander also has FRS capability, as with any radio antennas are everything, the BIGGER the better.

with off the shelf 2 meter and a half wave lenthg antenna we get a solid 25 mile radius simplex, more with repeaters bigger antennas and amplifiers.

I'm familar with Icom aircraft radios. But they are really spendy What would a T=8a run? ( per pair)
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
 I'm familar with Icom aircraft radios. But they are really spendy What would a T=8a run? ( per pair)

The T8A's still have a lot of functions accessable but there are other brands that are just as good, you see the T8's going for around $180 each on average.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top