Buffalo Trace

Makers Mark

Jim Beam Rye

Bookers

Bakers

( Wine.....pfffft....girl!!!! )

Link Posted: 8/5/2007 11:56:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Rex Hill - I'm trying to remember which of their 2001 reds (it was a Pinot) I had - but it was really good.  Their Pinots (Gris and Noir) have consistently finished high in taster's panels for the last 10 years.  They're located in Newberg, so there is no excuse not to go and sample some.  I've also found their product on the shelves of the local groceries, and even on the menu at Rose's in Sherwood.

Some of Columbia Crest's wines are good (they make a bunch of different ones).  Some of these are also sold ONLY at the winery or select outlets - these tend to be a notch above the ordinary.  If you go to the winery (about a 2-1/2 to 3 hour drive), make sure to let them know you're an Oregon resident, as sales tax is waived.
From their website, I see they're offering an ice wine this year.  This is somewhat unusual, as it requires the grapes to remain on the vine past the first frost, and such conditions don't happen often.  The stuff is spendy - about $25 for a 375 ml bottle.  (Having never tried it, I can only wonder what it tastes like.)

Seth Ryan winery produces some interesting varieties (I like the Meritage).  They're located on Red Mountain, near the Tri-Cities in Washington.  Biggest draw for me is they're about 3 miles from the 1000 yard range there (and the owner is a member), and therefore can be visited after a day's shooting.  The company's website appears to be down, but information is available at www.columbiavalleywine.com/sethryan.htm.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 12:11:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Best ones I've had in a while.

Panther Creek Pinot Noir (Shea Vineyard). Smoothest Pinot Noir I have ever had.

Silvan Ridge (also under Panther Creek) Early Muscat. Super-sweet, best dessert wine with some sweet fruit.

Amity Pinot Blanc. Very light and dry without bite.

Eroica Resiling. Just an all around good Reisling without being overly heavy or sweet like a Gewürztraminer

But all those are a bit on the expensive side (although well worth it). For the basics:

Rex Hill Pinot Gris and Pinot Blanc

Chateau St. Michelle Resling.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 7:02:43 AM EDT
[#4]
willamette Valley

Had some sweet cheeks I think it was this past weekend.  Pretty sure they're local and it was pretty tasty stuff.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 7:05:15 AM EDT
[#5]
My parents are founding members of Willamette Valley, discounts up to the nil. They know the owner since he first started out. Was there for him when he was having bad days. My mom was his doctor's PA so it's rather interesting.

My favorite from them is the Cherry Blossom and their version of Mondavi red wine.

It's hard to beat Mondavi and some Hungarian Bullsblood but Willamette will do.

Nice place to hang out in the weekend also wandering the vineyards.

Link Posted: 8/6/2007 7:59:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Knob Creek

Buffalo Trace

Makers Mark

Jim Beam Rye

Bookers

Bakers

Werd!

Edit to add "Fighting Cock" to the list...

Mark.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:31:07 AM EDT
[#7]
DeLille Cellars' Grand Ciel Cabernet Sauvignon.  Pairing it with a plain ol' lip on NY has been good.  I also like the Canoe Ridge Cab. (of Cha.Ste.Mich.) when I run low on the DeLille.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Hip Chics Do Wine has the best Chard I've ever had. They are off SE Holgate near that classic car shop (20th?)
Dry Hollow Vinyaards Cabernet
Heron Merlot

I'm a Champagne guy myself...........
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hip Chics Do Wine has the best Chard I've ever had. They are off SE Holgate near that classic car shop (20th?)
Heron Merlot

I was just going to post Hip Chics....  Stop staking me.  We are on their "wine club" I actually think I have to go over there this week to pick up two new bottles.

I'm a Merlot fan though.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#10]
For Pinot it is Chehalem Winery.

There are many others already listed...
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 11:34:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice.... finally a topic I can say I know what the hell I'm talking about href=www.sokolblosser.com/
Evolution, 11th Edition
This is a fresh crisp white wine that goes with just about anything. This wine is for people who enjoy a refreshing drink without all the bold in your face taste of many wines. It's a treat on a hot day....

2005 White Riesling Dessert Wine
If you can get your hands on this stuff you will be very pleased, it's my wife's and my favorite dessert wine to sever at dinner parties. Serve it cold and enjoy the sweet taste it's like candy in a glass. In prior years the bottle was frosted, it shows off well. One of the best dessert wines you could get your hands on.

Meditrina, IV
The girls like this one his
www.cuneocellars.com/
Check out the wine from Cuneo Cellars you will not be disappointed. They claim to be an Oregon wine but I believe most of the grapes if not all come from the Washington. Bold tasty wines..... they go good with a large steak
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Heron Merlot

I was just going to post Hip Chics....  Stop staking me.  We are on their "wine club" I actually think I have to go over there this week to pick up two new bottles.

I'm a Merlot fan though.

This is getting creeeeeeepy!!!!

BTW Try the Heron merlot. Its zergut!!
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#13]
try Tyee
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Knob Creek

Buffalo Trace

Makers Mark

Jim Beam Rye

Bookers

Bakers

Werd!

Edit to add "Fighting Cock" to the list...

www.fightingcock.com/Downloads/Wall_4_1024x768.jpg

Mark.

I'll put it on my list....haven't seen it before, can you get it locally?

I've been meaning to make a trip to Vancouver to find some Yellow label Beam....damn OLCC...
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I think there is like one or two liquer stores in OR that stock it.  One of them is in PDX someplace.  I can find out.

Mark.

Link Posted: 8/6/2007 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
try Tyee

Tyee is not bad.
I like this one from Kesteral.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 12:13:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 1:41:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Yellow is 100% Rye, good schtuff!!  

But, If you don't like bourbon, you don't like Bourbon....

Hmmmm......maybe we need to introduce you to Single Malt Scotch?

Mmmmmm...peaty.....
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 5:55:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#20]
height=8
Quoted:

I like this one from Kesteral.

+1 Kesteral Cabernet is very good stuff and it's priced reasonable....."Costco"
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:  
Posted :: 8/7/2007 2:41:46 AM PDT

Surprised you didn't post about milk........

You'd be surprised how quickly boobies lose their "magic" quality when you see your kidlet snackin' on them 15 times a day...

Link Posted: 8/7/2007 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:  
Posted :: 8/7/2007 2:41:46 AM PDT

Surprised you didn't post about milk........

You'd be surprised how quickly boobies lose their "magic" quality when you see your kidlet snackin' on them 15 times a day...

Shame on you!!  The magic is never lost!!!

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
As I sit here and am finding the bottom of the second bottle of a tasty Oak Knoll 'Niagrara' this evening, I've been contemplating on what other fine local wines my fellow brothers (and sisters) in arms might enjoy. Please list what winery and type of wine they are. Also if you have some tasty suggestions on what they go good with...... feel free to list.

I'll list a few soon..........

Pear Sherry out of Hood River Vinyards.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top