Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/6/2006 12:36:29 PM EDT
My son went to Lincoln Park PD for a pistol purchase permit and they told him it would be 2-3 weeks before he recieved his permit in the mail and then he has to go back to the PD and get it stamped. Then he has 10 days to get his gun and come back again for inspection. What a pain in the a-- just to buy a gun.
I guess Communism is alive and well Downriver.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:41:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 3:45:29 PM EDT by rpd_fire]
Small town

That sucks. When I go in its about 5 min then I walk out with the permit. Buy gun. Then go "have it saftey inspected".

But with a ccw it's, buy gun, then have the saftey inspection. 2min now.

Half of the time is waiting for some one to help me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:32:59 PM EDT
I attempted to open a small business in lincoln park last year. For whatever reason, they decided that I was not going to find it easy to do.
They deliberately missled me on how to process my paperwork for the permit, then the guy I needed to meet with disappeared on me for a few days and wouldn't return my calls.
When I went to city hall and demanded tobe taken care of the guy pretended like we were buddies and was looking out for me. Yeah right.
finally I got smart and said "F$%# lincoln park!"
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:18:00 PM EDT
I was born and raised in Lincoln Park(but went to school in Southgate in High school). Graduated in 1979 and sure as hell glad I was smart enought to get the HELL out of the downriver area. This was a very liberal community back then and I can only imagine what it's like now. Personal rights only matter if you agree with their philosophy. The people of a community like this would rather elect or hire people that would support their liberal agenda than support true individual rights. I know this does not apply to all, but you know majority rules. Most of these liberal 'thinkers' back then were also some of the biggest lawbreakers also. I suggest you getting out of there unless you can gain enough support to expell these libs and get people elected that support freedom that our Constitution allows.
I know, an unnecessary rant, but had to get this of my chest! Sorry.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:22:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sparky38:
Then he has 10 days to get his gun and come back again for inspection. What a pain in the a-- just to buy a gun.

That's the law throughout Michigan. It's the whole state's bullshit, not one specific city/town.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:25:48 AM EDT
Small town has nothing to do with it.

I was living in Hudson when I first came back to Michigan. Very small town, 3 officers on the whole PD including the chief.

Purchase permits took 5 minutes, and I could walk across the street for notorization.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:36:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MlTCHELL:

Then he has 10 days to get his gun and come back again for inspection. What a pain in the a-- just to buy a gun.

That's the law throughout Michigan. It's the whole state's bullshit, not one specific city/town.

Mitchell, nothing personal, but enough of the bashing our state already! I must've read in a dozen posts where you complain that Michigan sucks. In Ohio, if you have a CPL, you still need to lock the pistol in the glovebox while in a vehicle (as stupid a law as they come IMHO). And in Toledo, my Glocks would all be illegal if they were loaded with more than 10 rounds (now, there's a law that makes sense!).

What is stupid, is all the gun laws in general, here, there, and everywhere else. As to the Lincoln Park situation, sounds like a huge hoop, engineered to prevent people from exercising their constitutional rights. I'd suggest getting a group together and consulting a pro firearms attorney, to see if their undue hinderance is actionable. If it is, that'd certainly get their attention!

T Bone (from Detroit, and proud if it!).
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:40:31 PM EDT
i live in ecorse and have no problem lincoln Park is anti gun
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:55:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TBoneDetroit:
In Ohio, if you have a CPL, you still need to lock the pistol in the glovebox while in a vehicle (as stupid a law as they come IMHO).

Wrong, it just has to be in plain sight.

The second part of your statement is 200% true, but then again, the law was written by beaurocRATS.

Tim
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:44:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Garand06:

Wrong, it just has to be in plain sight.
Tim

Actually, while it can be in plain sight on your person, there is a problem with that in that it has yet to be defined by any authoority from the state of Ohio. That combined with the fact that if you "have contact" with your firearm during a traffic stop, you are guilty of a felony, makes the "plain sight on your person" rule problematic at best. If I am carrying IWB and have no jacket or shirt over it, is it in plain sight? What if it's on my belt, left side (between the door and myself). Plain sight? How about on my right waist (officer approaches from the left) plain sight? I wouldn't be the guinea pig for Ohio's convoluted CPL laws. I'd stick with the glove compartment, despite how silly it seems.

My point that the majority of gun laws everywhere are rather stupid stands as my opinion. And Michigan, while not as good as some in this respect, is far superior to many. But the Lincoln Park BS outlined above is simply harassment of people trying to excercise their constitutional rights IMHO. It also is not a statewide situation (though the permit to purchase issue, without a CPL, is).

T Bone (Detroit).
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:17:45 PM EDT

I think the original poster was complaining about the WHOLE process that Lincoln Park makes then go through to get the pistol...not just the state's 10 day use provision of the permit.

Here in Redford, for a long time, you could only get a purchase permit from the Sheriff's Dept one day a week, limited hours, and they mailed you the form...then you still had the 10 days to use it which started when they mailed you the form. Better hope the mail isn't delayed.

Now, we at least have local PD doing the forms, and it is still one day a week, (Tuesday) but you walk in, do the paperwork, and leave with the green sheet.

The extra 2-3 weeks of waiting for the form to come in the mail, then take it in for date stamp before use, which Lincoln Park is adding to the 10 day use limit, is absolutely absurd.

Time for the guy to get a CCW. I bought a new pistol this afternoon, showed my CCW, and no problem. Next Tuesday I'll go to Redford PD and get the "inspection" done.

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:54:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By No_Expert:

I think the original poster was complaining about the WHOLE process that Lincoln Park makes then go through to get the pistol...not just the state's 10 day use provision of the permit.

Here in Redford, for a long time, you could only get a purchase permit from the Sheriff's Dept one day a week, limited hours, and they mailed you the form...then you still had the 10 days to use it which started when they mailed you the form. Better hope the mail isn't delayed.

Now, we at least have local PD doing the forms, and it is still one day a week, (Tuesday) but you walk in, do the paperwork, and leave with the green sheet.

The extra 2-3 weeks of waiting for the form to come in the mail, then take it in for date stamp before use, which Lincoln Park is adding to the 10 day use limit, is absolutely absurd.

Time for the guy to get a CCW. I bought a new pistol this afternoon, showed my CCW, and no problem. Next Tuesday I'll go to Redford PD and get the "inspection" done.

No Expert

It's great that they give you the permit the same day, but it's probably illegal for them to just give permits during limited hours one day a week. Subsection (12) of MCL 28.422, which governs purchase permits, provides that "A licensing authority shall implement this section during all of the licensing authority's normal business hours and shall set hours for implementation that allow an applicant to use the license within the time period set forth in subsection (6)."
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:48:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By danno-in-michigan:

It's great that they give you the permit the same day, but it's probably illegal for them to just give permits during limited hours one day a week. Subsection (12) of MCL 28.422, which governs purchase permits, provides that "A licensing authority shall implement this section during all of the licensing authority's normal business hours and shall set hours for implementation that allow an applicant to use the license within the time period set forth in subsection (6)."

Hmm, I'll have to ask about that on tuesday...they do it all day on Tuesday (except for a break for lunch)... when the Sheriff's Dept did it...it was only like 4 hours in the one day...two in the morning and two in the afternoon.

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:34:47 PM EDT
I live in LP and it is a pain in the ass, atleast it was until I got my CCW. A few pistols ago I picked up a Glock 30 .45ACP and took it down to be checked out. After waiting an hour the desk Luiey told me with a straight face that I couldn't not have it back. Dumbfounded, I asked why. He said it was too nice of a pistol for a civilian to own so he was keeping it for further inspection. I said, further inspection, why? He said he wanted it for himself. He was trying to be a smart ass and then gave me my pistol back. I hate now to even buy a pistol and deal with that crap.
Top Top