Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2011 7:23:33 AM EDT
Hi all,

I am an Aussie looking at moving the the USA and have been pointed at Texas from a few Texans in GD.
I am planning to sell up everything I own here (which isn't much) and place what I don't need to get started over there in fixed term deposits, so I can come back if it all doesn't work out.

What I am looking at converting the tray part of the vehicle to 'live' in and follow work around. Is there any laws preventing this?
First off, how much of a market is there for unskilled labour? (I do have a security licence, but It couldn't be vaild there.)
I am not afraid of hard work, and have worked in the RAAF, retail, butchery, construction and lifting heavy shit in the heat.
Secondly, how much is a pickup in reasonable shape worth over there? Ive looked at M1009 type vehicles, and they seem appropriate.
Also, is there a place where I can pick up dirt cheap clothes, bedding and bits and pieces to make it livable?

And don't give me that 'Texas is full' crap, we have been saying that for years, and everyone still emigrates.

Thanks for any and all replies!
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 7:26:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Also, feel free to ask me any questions you might have if it can give more precise answers.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 7:49:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hi all,

I am an Aussie looking at moving the the USA and have been pointed at Texas from a few Texans in GD.
I am planning to sell up everything I own here (which isn't much) and place what I don't need to get started over there in fixed term deposits, so I can come back if it all doesn't work out.

What I am looking at converting the tray part of the vehicle to 'live' in and follow work around. Is there any laws preventing this?

'tray'?  You mean like the bed of a truck?  Yes you can do it, but there are rules as to how it has to be done in order to pass inspection.

First off, how much of a market is there for unskilled labour?

Poor.  Most of that market is taken over by illegal immingrants from south of the border.  If you don't speak Spanish it is hard to get that kind of work.  Because those folks will work for next to nothing, pay for unskilled work is very poor.  Even skilled trade work like construction is very difficult to get if you aren't Hispanic and is usually low paying to boot.

(I do have a security licence, but It couldn't be vaild there.)

You'd have to be re-licensed for that for anything other than the lowest level work.  Lack of citizenship would be a barrier to entry to that sort of job.

I am not afraid of hard work, and have worked in the RAAF, retail, butchery, construction and lifting heavy shit in the heat.
Secondly, how much is a pickup in reasonable shape worth over there? Ive looked at M1009 type vehicles, and they seem appropriate.

Like an old Chevy Blazer (or similar models from Ford, Dodge, etc)?  There are two kinds of used trucks in Texas.  Ones that are expensive, and ones that have massive miles or are beat to hell.  If you buy a military surplus truck expect it to be a money pit, almost as bad as owning a boat.  Seriously, vehicle ownership here is a major expense.

Also, is there a place where I can pick up dirt cheap clothes, bedding and bits and pieces to make it livable?

Thrift stores or Wal-Mart, perhaps?

And don't give me that 'Texas is full' crap, we have been saying that for years, and everyone still emigrates.

Thanks for any and all replies!

Good luck getting here legally.  It is pretty hard because the illegals have ruined that route by their sheer unfettered numbers.  Unless you qualify for a skilled professional visa like an H1B or L1, it is tough.  If you are going to go the illegal route you'd probably have to do something like get a tourist visa and then over-stay it or even a tourist visa to Mexico (easier to get) and then cross the border the way the other illegals do.  That of course is dangerous.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 8:03:49 AM EDT
[#3]
As stated, market is saturated with illegal aliens willing to do the work for less.  If you come to the states, you need to differentiate yourself, especially as an Aussie, if you want to compete with the millions of Mexicans.  FWIW, it is currently illegal to carry BIG knives in TX.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Hell, that kinda puts a boot in it!

By tray I do mean bed, and it would just be a foam mattress and a small camping cooker for outside use.
Maybe I need to grow a mustache and learn spanish
It looks like I would be an E-3 class visa but by reading the website I would need a sponsor, and quite plainly fuck illegal immigration.
I guess I need to do a bit more research on the visas before working out other details.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 8:11:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As stated, market is saturated with illegal aliens willing to do the work for less.  If you come to the states, you need to differentiate yourself, especially as an Aussie, if you want to compete with the millions of Mexicans.  FWIW, it is currently illegal to carry BIG knives in TX.

Haha, we cant carry big knives in populated areas, unless you want new holes to breath out of from the police.
I do work hard, and I am willing to work pretty much anything. Like my grandfather says, where there is mess, there is money
I don't expect to get rich, if I can keep fuel in the car and food in my guts its a win. And if I can afford a beer or two, then life is golden
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I will second what others have said in that the market for unskilled labor here is not very good. HOWEVER, in my area there are two businesses that are always hiring and both are packing plants.

They start at $8-10 an hour. They are hiring pretty much every day- 40 hour weeks. You would predominantly be working alongside Somalian immigrants- before them it was Laotians and before them it was Mexicans, just how it works....... Kinda funny as the Hispanics that still work in the plants are pretty upset with the Somalians, seems the Africans work pretty damn hard.......

Vehicles. Very best bet would be a pickup bed camper. Most trucks in Texas as someone else said come in two kinds, expensive and beat to shit. We love our trucks here but with gas being what it is- expensive- there are a few decent ones around if you shop long enough.

As far as clothes and other little things–– plenty of really good thrift stores around.You can buy decent shirts and pants for a couple of bucks apiece along with cheap household type stuff.....
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 8:26:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the tips.
I don't really need a car that looks good, as long as it runs, I can do what I need with it, and repairs that don't require a workshop.
Well, work is work, and if that is whats available, I will do it, while looking for better things.
Thank you as well for the thrift store idea, I have never heard of them being called that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well..At least your English is better than those illegals who can't speak a lick of English.
 Like the guys said, it's tough when you have to compete with illegals as unskilled.  Worst come to worst, you can work at supermarkets, i.e...Walmart, Target, Albertson,.....to start and save.  Then take some courses in school to better yourself.
 With your attitude, you can survive any place.

How is the 'courses' system set up? One training facility, or separate dedicated ones?
I have had thoughts about enlisting as well, but you need to be over there before you can think about that.
Is there much bar work around? I have had experience with that and bouncing, and talking crap to drunks is actually pretty fun.
And I am sure there will be a little language barrier, with the crazy stuff we say there is no way of knowing how some people will interpret it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is something to liven the thread up!
Link
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#11]
It can be done but you will need a little money to get going.  Insurance, gas and a truck are going to take most of your money if you go the labor route.  If you are a butcher you can find some work and will be able to get some food along the way.  If you can find a roof or live in a cheap travel trailer park you might buy one of the used fema trailers that seem to be everywhere in Texas and you could get going .  there are still quite a few small town meat markets and butcher shops but pay will not be that good but there are other advantages.

Hardest thing is to get here legal.  Even though Texas is doing better than most of the US times are still not all that good and likely to get worse.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Interesting point on the FEMA trailers, and on the truck part.
I guess it will just be a case of thinking hard, and working harder.
How much would a mechanically ok 2 door truck with a canopy cost after insurance and other necessary things?
Not looking for a precise figure, just a rough estimate.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 9:42:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't know if you would qualify for this since you would be an alien, but here's a job ad i came across yesterday on Craigslist:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/sec/2506446044.html

It could not hurt to ask them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 9:47:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't know if you would qualify for this since you would be an alien, but here's a job ad i came across yesterday on Craigslist:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/sec/2506446044.html

It could not hurt to ask them.

Thanks for the heads up, even if I can't do it, it shows there is a spot of work in my chosen field.
And who are you callin' an alien.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Ask your Texas friends if they can hook u up with a job
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Your best bet to get here and work legally is the Diversity Visa Lottery Program by the DOS.  Link

Unfortunately, it doesn't open up again until October, but unlike the tourist visa which would get you here and allow you to stay here up to 90 days without working, this DV would allow you to work and stay here up to a year (IIRC).

I had some Kiwi friends that were selected and came to the States under this program.  Pretty good gig if you can also land a good job.

Good luck mate!
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Could get citizenship through the military as well
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Your best bet to get here and work legally is the Diversity Visa Lottery Program by the DOS.  Link

Unfortunately, it doesn't open up again until October, but unlike the tourist visa which would get you here and allow you to stay here up to 90 days without working, this DV would allow you to work and stay here up to a year (IIRC).

I had some Kiwi friends that were selected and came to the States under this program.  Pretty good gig if you can also land a good job.

Good luck mate!

Cheers mate, I looked at that. After October is fine, I need to finish my affairs here anyway, and I turn 21 in February, so I figured I will try the move after that.
No point of coming over before huh?
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes.  In fact they have a "fast track" to citizenship if you are legally in the US and you are serving in one of our Armed Forces.  You must also meet all of the other requirements for citizenship.  (The difference is how long one must permanently reside in the US as a LAPR before obtaining citizenship).
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#20]
I have looked into that, and seems like an honourable pursuit that I can think about.
Ive tried it before, and would love another crack.

Problem is getting over there. But I am sure I will figure it out.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 11:21:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Good luck.  There's a member over on GlockTalk who was originally from Poland.  Spoke good English.  Was a professional of some sort - I think maybe some sort of law enforcement.  He wanted to move his family to the US, but after three or four years of trying, I think it was, the US wouldn't let him in.  He ended up going to British Columbia, Canuckistan, if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#22]
What I am looking at converting the tray part of the vehicle to 'live' in and follow work around.

I'm sure you are well acquainted with heat, but Texas heat, especially near the coast, feels like the mouth of Hell, plus the illegals have the market cornered on manual labor. You might consider the northwest, specifically Portland Oregon, which is very bicycle friendly, as that would offer you a second type of cheap transportation.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha, we cant carry big knives in populated areas, unless you want new holes to breath out of from the police.
I do work hard, and I am willing to work pretty much anything. Like my grandfather says, where there is mess, there is money
I don't expect to get rich, if I can keep fuel in the car and food in my guts its a win. And if I can afford a beer or two, then life is golden

I guess you're too young to get the "Crocodile Dundee" reference.

Since you have no skills, you do have your accent and Texans love Australians.  Use that to your advantage and you'll be surprised the reception (we're tired of Mexicans and like variety).  Have you thought about the path of a gigilo?  Work on your pecks and your accent and start training for cougar hunting.  You might make a great pool guy where you can work your way up to being a kept man (beats roofing houses).
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since you have no skills, you do have your accent and Texans love Australians.  Use that to your advantage and you'll be surprised the reception (we're tired of Mexicans and like variety).  Have you thought about the path of a gigilo?  Work on your pecks and your accent and start training for cougar hunting.  You might make a great pool guy where you can work your way up to being a kept man (beats roofing houses).

Roofing houses in Texas is the worst, never again will I do that...

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I got the reference, just couldn't think of anything funny to say
And well, at least your honest !
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 10:16:09 PM EDT
[#26]
If you are 21 I would suggest the Military. If you want to work on a ranch there are plenty around looking for ranch hands

Best Of Luck
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 3:29:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, I already pointed Rod towards the .mil in GD. Good luck mate!
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 5:28:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Why not just rejoin the Australian military? It pays far better for enlisted soldiers.

Unless you move here legally, which is very difficult, you'll probably just wind up getting into trouble. If you are serious about coming to the U.S. you should apply for the green card lottery every year and get an education that will transfer well because in a low paying job here you will probably have none of the protections afforded in Australia (health care, work conditions etc).
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 5:54:28 AM EDT
[#29]
M1009 FTW....

Link Posted: 8/5/2011 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Why not just rejoin the Australian military? It pays far better for enlisted soldiers.

I have thought about it, but how I was dealt with as soon as I was injured leaves feeling a bit funny about it.
Pay doesn't enter into the equation for me when it comes to enlisting.

After all the bullshit that came of that, I need to start over, and got pointed at Texas for good hard work.

Guess I better get a ticket to this lottery.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have thought about it, but how I was dealt with as soon as I was injured leaves feeling a bit funny about it.
Pay doesn't enter into the equation for me when it comes to enlisting.

After all the bullshit that came of that, I need to start over, and got pointed at Texas for good hard work.

Guess I better get a ticket to this lottery.

Could try to go to Odessa Texas, there are A LOT of oil rigs out there and they are on a hiring spree right now. Hard work but good pay, start pay is 20 an hour at Nabors, drillers make 29 USD an hour.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Couple of quick questions to provide better information.

(1) How old are you?

(2) Any injuries or disabilities?

(3) How much Cash in U.S. Dollars do you think you will have to work with?

Couple of things.

(A) sleeping in the back of a blazer (M1009) is a small area and cramped.  I did it in high school and it was only comfortable with a good looking girl between me and the hard floor!  Seriously, You would do much better if you will be "living aboard" with a Standard 8' Bed Pick Up (Ford, Chevy, GMC, Dodge) with a simple camper shell (more room in the back and better mileage on the highway.)  For Prices, I'd suggest checking Craig's List for Houston, San Antonio and the like.  Consider a 3/4 pick up if you think you may tow a camper trailer.

(B) There is a need for workers in the Eagle Ford Shale (Gas Drilling) in South Texas.  Hard work, but if you can do it, you could make some significant $$ and save it to boot strap your way up.  Housing is hard to come by there with the influx of workers, so you might live out of the truck until you could buy a FEMA trailer.  Dealers in  Houston are selling them for $2999.99 so figure for $3300 you could own your own place (on wheels)  Again having a truck helps because you can pull it, which you couldn't do with the Blazer (short wheelbase and weak motor).   Also I'd if you plan to tow your trailer, I'd think about buying a 3/4 ton pickup (better springs and transmission cooler) to to the trailer.  Working in the Oil Fields, it wouldn't take too long to save that working oilfield if you are willing to sleep out in your truck for the first month or two.  However it is HOT as hell, (100 - 110 F) do be prepared for that..  

(C) Seeing that you speak English (well a form of it anyway)  You are ahead of the curve in getting a job in the Energy Sector.  It would be much easier for you to "Pass" with employers and the police than Juan the illegal immigrant who looks and speaks mexican.  Not that it is right or whatever, just that it is the way it is.  However in the energy sector, I'd guess it is much more likely you will be asked for ID and permission to work (Form I-9) with any company than doing work "off the books" like many of the "amigos" do in construction or farm labor.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#33]
If you have no felonies and arent a moron I have a job for you. Well, maybe if your just not too much of a moron.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#34]
You can't have him!

We need him drilling for more Oil so we can make more "Guzzoline"

Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#35]
If you can drive a tractor there us all kinds of work for you:

Rice
Cotton
Corn
Milo
Soybeans

I'd suggest trying to work on a farm/ranch and then get permission to hunt and fish on it. Coming from Aussie land I'm sure you know what do do with a rabbit or a hog. In some cases the owner might have some housing. Living by the coast is a big plus cause the gulf is full of fish and you have waterfowl oppertunites in the fall. And farmers hate the snow geese and hogs. Only thing it is hot as hell and twice as dry this year.

I'd at least try to line a job up before you get here. Any expenses you don't need to pay for will be money saved. If you want to go the farm route I have a few ideas for you

Begin some email correspondence with the Farm bureau and ask them to put some feelers out for you
Same thing with cattlemans association
Email tractor and implement stores and tell them your plane and ask if you mail or email a poster will they put it up
Or google texas ranches and start calling

You can do the same thing with clubs and tiddy bars.

All in all thank you for considering the nation of Texas for your potential home. Once you get here we will teach you the etiquette part
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 11:44:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Ming_The_Merciless - Ill be 21 by the time I want to get over there, which is about 6-7 months. That give me enough time to sell up and set all the finances out.
I used to be considered physically disabled, but I work a 40 hour week, play sports and ride motorbikes.
I intend to bring 10-15k AUD over, but that really depends on how much the vehicle is going to be. After a bit of a look, I reckon Ill need about 12K USD.

Cheers for the other tips.

buckshot_jim - Well, I am no moron, and no felonies.

FishinTexasAg05 -  Thanks for the tips, IM ON IT!

Also, can you purchase civ versions of ration packs or something of the sort? If I can save a dollar, then I can eat them.

EDIT - And to ease some minds, I am 'right wing' and do not intend to tell anyone to change their lifestyle. Hell if I wanted something like Aus, I would bring asains
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 5:56:31 AM EDT
[#37]
You can buy Ramen for 10 cents a packet.  I lived on the stuff in college.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 6:30:28 AM EDT
[#38]
You can work for the State Prison.
It's not a job for everyone but they are always hiring.
Pay will start out just OK, but it will get better the longer your there.
Plenty of chances to promote up.
Here is a link with info.
PM if you have questions.

Prison Job
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You can buy Ramen for 10 cents a packet.  I lived on the stuff in college.

I actually thought about rice and this Fake bacon?
Should keep me alive for long enough until I can afford real meat.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#40]
I can't say whether I will be hiring at the time or not, but I pay $11-12 an hour for no experience manual labor in steel building/ structure constuction. I put a roof over your head,food in your stomach, and no need for transportation unless you want to have it. I travel all over Texas and other areas of the South West. And I would hire an Aussie that speaks English 10 times faster than I would hire an illegal that I can't communicate with. You might look for work that you are on the road as transportation, food, and shelter are usually provided. Even if you don't want to stick with it, it will allow you to get your feet on the ground!
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 7:37:57 AM EDT
[#41]
The oil/gas industry is booming in Texas.  A lot of these guys follow the work and live in campers, there are RV (camper) parks all over that cater to this.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Call up Clinton Anderson.  Maybe he's got a job for ya, working the phones (tele) for him.  Heck, maybe he'll even sponsor you.

Boot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top