Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 7:30:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy crap.

Where's the drop jaw smiley when you need it?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#2]
DAMN!! Did Ol' Harry take a Conservative pill??
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#3]
i got the same letter.  I was thinking about scanning it and posting it here, but i guessi dont need to
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I got the same letter too.
Guess Senator Reid knows that he needs the pro gun vote here in NV. Why else would he go out of his way and include gun politics in his campaign...?!

Everybody else is afraid of gun legislation.....

But hey, for a Democrat he's pretty level headed as far as gun control is concerned.

Who would've thought:

Democrat from NV = Republican from MA, NY, CA..... you get the point

LRdrvr
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:52:18 PM EDT
[#5]
This the Same Senator Reid that stated that he would outlaw all semiautomatic firearms.  While he did vote against the AWB amendment, he voted for the bill it was attached to.  Harry Reid is not a friend of gun owners.  This is merely smoke.

I am being nice.

This guy hangs out with Kerry and Daschle,  You know the guys who could not think for 40 minutes on 9-11.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:07:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This the Same Senator Reid that stated that he would outlaw all semiautomatic firearms.  While he did vote against the AWB amendment, he voted for the bill it was attached to.  Harry Reid is not a friend of gun owners.  This is merely smoke.

Longun hits the nail on the head!  Reid is as anti-gun Feinstein, Schumer and Kennedy etc.  He just does a better job of hiding it.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#7]
He had me fooled.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#8]
reid...level-headed...... ....keep on believin...
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Check out Reids rating with the NRA. It has consistently been A. He's a DEM but been OK on this issue.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:51:16 AM EDT
[#10]
The NRA consistantly misrates politicians, this is known.  The NRA gave Harry Reid $5000 for re-election before the candidates even announced.   At www.awbansunset.com  They rate politicians and I think it's a fairer rating.  They use other outside resources and actuall votes.  Harry Reid just about pegs the meter against gun rights.  He is beat by a few senators but not by many.  But  he is is on a par with Shelly Berkley.

The NRA is playing both sides of the fence.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Reid voted against  the extension of the gun ban but he voted for gun show checks. That's what his voting record reflects.

Is he perfect? Nope, of course not. He's no Larry Craig and nobody claimed that he is. However if every dem would vote on gun issues as he did we'd have a lot less problems...

I have to agree though that the endorsement of politicians is a very tricky business. They're politicians after all.....

The differences between the NRA and local groups (NSRPA) shows as much.

The NRA sacrifices and compromises on gun issues when they think that it'll be beneficial in the long run. There is a fair share of folks that disagree with this appeasement policy since sacrificing our rights will eventually make us lose what we got. OTOH, without the power of the NRA in Washington nobody would still own guns except for the few well connected and privileged.

However we deserve what we got coming! 80 mio gun owners and only 4 mio NRA members! How is that possible!? Also, the GOA have a tougher stance on matters. If the 4 mio NRA members would also become GOA members we would be at an advantage for a change. No more bending over backwards....

Some links for you gentlemen:
www.gunowners.org/108hrat.htm
www.gunowners.org/108srat.htm
www.awbansunset.com/scoreboard.html
no help in this matter from the NSRPA but here's the link anyways: www.nsrpa.us/
not yet operational but coming soon.... www.nrapvf.org/Elections/Default.aspx

Have a nice day,

LRdrvr
Reno
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 6:21:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So what he said in that letter is all lies?

Yes

His voting record is public record and I doubt he would say he is going to vote a certain way then go the opposite. Does he have a history of lying?

His voting record IS a matter of public record.  It's called being "released" to vote against a bill that is supported by the party.  Reid was "released" to vote against the original amendment for the AWB because the Dems didn't need his vote to pass it.  If his commitment to the 2nd is so great, then why did he vote FOR the final bill?  In fact, Reid cast the deciding vote since the Senate was exactly split and Gore had to cast the tie-breaker.  Same thing happened with the renewal vote earlier this year.  The Democratic party leadership knows that Nevada is a pro-gun state and thus cuts Reid some latitude when it suits them but remember this.......Reid is second in command in the Senate.  While he is casting his "show" votes in favor of 2nd rights, he is the arm twister keeping others in line against.

Frankly, its the "other" votes that should concern us more such as the vile strategy they have used to keep Bush's court nominees bottled up.  These are judges that generally favor 2nd rights but they are nothing compared to the upcoming Supreme Court nominees that are on the horizon.  If all he needs to demonstrate his commitment to gun rights is to send a boiler plate letter out then I guess he will win re-election easily.  I for one am not fooled by such window dressing.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#14]
rickinvegas,

Great clarification. Much appreciated. I knew it sounded too good to be true.....

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I can tell you that, as a founding member of AWBANSUNSET.com, we thoroughly researched the candidates and their stance on the issues, and our official scoreboard reflects this. Believe me when I say we weren't biased; we wanted to show the truth and we wanted to believe we had more allies than it turned out we did.

Keep yourselves dug in folks, the fightin' has only just begun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top