Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2011 3:07:41 PM EDT
I have always thought that it is illegal for a non-licensee to ship another non-licensee a firearm. A thread in another forum says that it is legal for two people to ship firearms to each other in this state. Lets hash this out. anyone have any laws on this?
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Handguns can be shipped from an individual but MUST go to a FFL.

Long guns are the same UNLESS the person receiving is in the same state .... then can be sent direct.

Now, this is a general rule and I'm sure some states have wacky rules.

Also, this doesn't even bring up how/with whom you ship through. That's a whole 'nother discussion.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#3]
well... I know a guy who had an individual selling him a long gun screw up
and send it to his place instead of his FFL
(this guy repeatedly emailed and told him about this problem but the individual refused to change the shipping address)
He called his FFL to tell them of the individuals mistake before and after he recieved the firearm
His FFL told him if the individual had provided the necessary documents for a bill of sale Then there was no need for the firearm to be brought to the FFL

Needless to say he was shocked about the FFL's response to this situation

The FFL is a well respected and reputable company

this is only one guys experience please take it to a FFL everytime regardless what they say
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
(this guy repeatedly emailed and told him about this problem but the individual refused to change the shipping address)
He called his FFL to tell them of the individuals mistake before and after he recieved the firearm
His FFL told him if the individual had provided the necessary documents for a bill of sale Then there was no need for the firearm to be brought to the FFL

this is only one guys experience please take it to a FFL everytime regardless what they say

If this was intrastate then it was fine.  If it was interstate, then it was a mistake.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If this was intrastate then it was fine.  If it was interstate, then it was a mistake.

it was interstate...
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#6]
So long guns are ok person to person within the state. Pistols go to FFL.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:53:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:54:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Long guns and handguns can both be shipped to a resident of the shipper's state.

Link Posted: 8/14/2011 5:24:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it was interstate...

Oops, I wouldn't know where to begin to fix that.  My first guess would be to not ever mention it again.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 5:59:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Long guns and handguns can both be shipped to a resident of the shipper's state.

However I do not think USPS, UPS, or FEDEX will ship a handgun person-to-person if you declare it. Correct me if I am wrong.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 6:18:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

However I do not think USPS, UPS, or FEDEX will ship a handgun person-to-person if you declare it. Correct me if I am wrong.

"Firearm parts" insure for actual value.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 8:52:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct and federal law requires that you declare it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top