Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 8:32:38 AM EDT
Whose fault is it when the gun goes off and injures someone?

POLICE OFFICER SUES GUN STORE AFTER ACCIDENTALLY SHOOTING OFF FINGER

Is this the cop's fault or the store owner's responsibility?

In today's day and age, there's no way this cop is losing the case. A place of business is always liable. Even though the cop might just be making up for a loss of income

This comment is well said...

"I'm guessing Officer Smith was let go because of this video. He muzzle-swept at least two customers, had his finger inside the trigger guard, didn't check the gun himself to make sure it was unloaded, had his finger on the end of the barrel, and pulled the trigger without making sure the gun was pointed in a safe direction. He's lucky he didn't shoot another customer or the gun store employee. This video illustrates the point that Officer Smith should have have his firearms rights revoked because he's proven he can't exercise them responsibly. In a perfect system, Officer Smith would have to earn back his 2nd Amendment rights and get fined for wasting the court's time with a frivolous lawsuit.

But we don't have a perfect system, and Officer Smith's negligence does not excuse the gun store employee's.He should have removed the magazine and cleared the firearm before he handed it to somebody. Because of this fact, Officer Smith will probably get at least a settlement, and the only people who will really win will be the lawyers."

I wouldn't call it a frivolous lawsuit... He definitely has a case. This is a place of business and they're 100% liable for the fact that someone put a loaded handgun in the case AND the clerk didn't do a common safety check and clear the gun, before handing it to a stranger.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Double tap
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:45:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Two people can be guilty at the same time. Weird, I know, but true.

3 simple rules.

I don't agree with that comment, either. 2A is a right, not a privilege, and shouldn't be "take away-able". Officer numb-skull has the right to dumb as fuck and shoot his finger off if he wants.

How would one go about "earning his second amendment rights back" anyways?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep. Both are guilty of not following safety rules. The officer derped several times by muzzle sweeping others in the store repeatedly. Always assume the gun is loaded and always keep it pointed in a safe direction.

The officer could try to sue the store and employee but the video does appear to show him checking the slide/chamber and he himself missed that the gun was loaded.

Hoffmans had at least one ND in their store since they opened up their range. Apparently a customer takes a malfunctioning gun off the range (RO missed this) and into the store and hands it to a counter employee who subsequently fired a round into the floor after fiddling with the gun.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:55:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're right of course. But I think that comment is working off the same premise as convicts or mentally insane people who lose their right to own guns. And he's also being a smart-ass, saying something along the lines of "this cop is an idiot and should prove he's not, if he wants his guns back".

I think we all know people who're too stupid to be allowed to walk the streets with rational people, much less allow them to drive a car or use loaded weapons.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You're right of course. But I think that comment is working off the same premise as convicts or mentally insane people who lose their right to own guns. And he;s just being a smart-ass, saying something along the lines that "this cop is an idiot and should prove hes not, if he wants his guns back".

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right of course. But I think that comment is working off the same premise as convicts or mentally insane people who lose their right to own guns. And he;s just being a smart-ass, saying something along the lines that "this cop is an idiot and should prove hes not, if he wants his guns back".

I just don't feel that premise applies. Idiots have the right to own guns . . . I mean, if people had to prove they weren't idiots to own guns, the CTHTF would be quiet as hell. Gun ownership would drop like 70% nationally.

Now for his job, I believe that statement does apply, and quite firmly. If he wants to continue to be a cop, he's gonna have to prove he is capable (which at this point seems highly improbable).
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Ultimate fault here lies with the adult who pulled the trigger without checking it to be clear himself.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Who the fuck works again gun shop and doesn't hand a gun to someone with the action open or looking in it right before handing it to said customer!?!?

Every shop I've been in they check that it's clear then hand it to you if not leave it open then hand it to you.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:25:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Let's say someone hands you a gun and you don't properly check to assure that it is unloaded? Or keep it pointed in a safe direction? Or keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target?

Play stupid games, earn stupid prizes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top