Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2021 8:48:07 PM EDT
I'm considering a major career change into law enforcement and was thinking about talking to any members here that might be.   I'm about 30 minutes south of downtown Cleveland.   Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I mean this with the utmost  respect....but are you nuts?
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#2]
What specific questions do you have?  Feel free to PM me if you want.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I mean this with the utmost  respect....but are you nuts?
View Quote

No kidding.  You going to build giant deck with the current lumber prices too??

All jokes aside, I can tell you for a fact that lots of agencies near Cleveland, are hard-pressed to find decent candidates.  So getting a job is probably easier than ever right now, assuming you can get through a background, polygraph, etc.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Are the questions specific to northeast Ohio? If generic to law enforcement, check the Brothers of the Shield sub forum here.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#5]
You know how people tell you to make a list of positives and negatives when making a decision?

There’s a ton more negatives than positives as to being an officer right now. Don’t do it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#6]
My main concern is that im already 35 so wondering about that kind of change this late in life.

I talked with an assistant chief this afternoon and we briefly talked about all the politics and crap and he said that the more rural departments have been shielded from that.   I live in Richfield.

No problems with background check,  i have my ffl, sot, nfa items, been through bci checks for when we worked on schools etc....

Our business got effed last year due to the lockdowns.  We mainly do playgrounds,  pavilions and park construction for schools and cities.   Since all that stuff got shutdown the projects got canceled.   Things are picking up now but i can't find employees now.   I'm really getting tired of having to do field work, sales, back office, responding to emails,  following up with subs, suppliers etc... it's physically and mentally draining.

Not saying police work is easy,  but simpler.   I've always had law enforcement in the back of my mind but just continued my contracting business.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 11:46:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Hard pass in this political environment.  Fed money job may be only exception.

Link Posted: 6/3/2021 6:50:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 8:40:02 AM EDT
[#9]
The departments in your area pay pretty well and are in need of good officers.  I won't encourage anyone to get into this job but if you want it, then I welcome you.  I have 20 years in and can answer questions by PM if you want.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 10:04:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Why do you want to work near Cleveland, if you live in Richfield??  

If you are hell-bent on becoming an LEO, look at some of the places near you.  Bath PD is one place to consider, and they will be looking to hire soon from what I hear.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why do you want to work near Cleveland, if you live in Richfield??  

If you are hell-bent on becoming an LEO, look at some of the places near you.  Bath PD is one place to consider, and they will be looking to hire soon from what I hear.
View Quote

Cleveland, over the past couple of years, was actually the best bet in a lot of cases.  People would apply to Cleveland, so they could get paid to go through the academy.  Since they had so many vacancies, it was easy to get in.  While recruits were in, they'd start the application process at the suburbs.  They'd get their OPOTA certification on the city's dime, and then go work somewhere else shortly after graduating.

Unfortunately for people with that plan, Cleveland is supposed to start making applicants sign an agreement stipulating that they'll have to pay the city back should they leave the department within a certain time frame.  They got tired of paying for people to get qualified for other departments!

One of the major setbacks OP will have is age - at least as far as pension and retirement age goes.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#12]
AKRON PD Promotional Video

Akron pays you through their own academy. They have decent pay and benefits. They're hurting for qualified applicants for the upcoming test due to the obvious political reasons.

Link Posted: 6/3/2021 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

AKRON PD Promotional Video

Akron pays you through their own academy. They have decent pay and benefits. They're hurting for qualified applicants for the upcoming test due to the obvious political reasons.

View Quote

That's ok but then you have to work in Akron.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My main concern is that im already 35 so wondering about that kind of change this late in life.

I talked with an assistant chief this afternoon and we briefly talked about all the politics and crap and he said that the more rural departments have been shielded from that.   I live in Richfield.

No problems with background check,  i have my ffl, sot, nfa items, been through bci checks for when we worked on schools etc....

Our business got effed last year due to the lockdowns.  We mainly do playgrounds,  pavilions and park construction for schools and cities.   Since all that stuff got shutdown the projects got canceled.   Things are picking up now but i can't find employees now.   I'm really getting tired of having to do field work, sales, back office, responding to emails,  following up with subs, suppliers etc... it's physically and mentally draining.

Not saying police work is easy,  but simpler.   I've always had law enforcement in the back of my mind but just continued my contracting business.
View Quote

You’d give up owning a business to make $80-100k a year??
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 4:51:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Cleveland, over the past couple of years, was actually the best bet in a lot of cases.  People would apply to Cleveland, so they could get paid to go through the academy.  Since they had so many vacancies, it was easy to get in.  While recruits were in, they'd start the application process at the suburbs.  They'd get their OPOTA certification on the city's dime, and then go work somewhere else shortly after graduating.

Unfortunately for people with that plan, Cleveland is supposed to start making applicants sign an agreement stipulating that they'll have to pay the city back should they leave the department within a certain time frame.  They got tired of paying for people to get qualified for other departments!

One of the major setbacks OP will have is age - at least as far as pension and retirement age goes.
View Quote

Agreements to pay the city back seems to be more and more normal nowadays.

Using a department like that to get your foot in the door wasnt a bad idea a few years ago, but so many places are desperate right now that it makes no sense to do. Plus last I checked CPD’s academy is 6 months and the pay is terrible for those 6 months.  Not that their normal rates are that great....
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Knowing a couple Cleveland PD officers, all I can say it run, run away.

Pay sucks compared to other depts, and everyone hates you and wants you fired. Yes everyone, including your own department and you= union.

HARD HARD PASS
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#17]
You can PM me

Civil service agencies cut you off at 35 due to the Ohio Police and Fire pension.  Laterals are an exception typically.   That leaves townships, villages and sheriff’s offices.  

The suburbs pay well. Everyone is having a test or hiring in some capacity right now. Half an hour south of Cleveland puts you near a lot of good PD’s.

Applications are dwindling across the state. There were only 425 applicants for Cleveland PD on the posting that just closed.

Factor in 6-9 months if you put yourself through a part time(evening) academy too
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#18]
some suburban pds don't have age limits on their laterals but you don't have the opota certification so you don't qualify for that.

you'll need to find some way to get your certification and some part time experience then try to lateral into a suburban agency.

but as some have said, run away.

i have 699 days, 4 hours, 18 minutes left before I can retire.

But I'm not counting.

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You can PM me

Civil service agencies cut you off at 35 due to the Ohio Police and Fire pension.  Laterals are an exception typically.   That leaves townships, villages and sheriff’s offices.  

The suburbs pay well. Everyone is having a test or hiring in some capacity right now. Half an hour south of Cleveland puts you near a lot of good PD’s.

Applications are dwindling across the state. There were only 425 applicants for Cleveland PD on the posting that just closed.

Factor in 6-9 months if you put yourself through a part time(evening) academy too
View Quote

That’s not true about 35 years old

Cleveland is civil service and their max age is 39

Cincinnati is civil service and has no max age

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That’s not true about 35 years old

Cleveland is civil service and their max age is 39

Cincinnati is civil service and has no max age

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/349123/6BCC2A96-22D9-4A34-9B31-F4A16BB7C807_jpe-1967256.JPG
View Quote

There’s often weird exceptions.
I was in the lateral process for CPD and at that time, they said you had to be through the lateral academy and sworn in by 38.  They took so long to get organized that I would have turned 38 before the process was complete. Then they decided they didn’t have enough candidates to run a lateral academy and that everyone got to do the whole thing.  At $14 or $15 an hour. Fuck that
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Some follow the 35 cap, some do not.  I think that was originally based on .mil specs?  My place has no written age cap, and we have hired some older folks.....

This may too become the norm as agencies get pressed to hire?
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:02:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Mansfield is down 15 officers and is looking to hire and get people into the fall academy at OSHP. Call Lt Napier, training office, at 419 522 9725 for more details.
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 6:24:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I did. Took about a 50% pay cut to go back. I can afford it now with the kids up and out. I have much more fun now. No business headaches, and the check shows up every two weeks.

Then again I came back at top pay and top vacation time.
View Quote

Right now I’d likely take a 50% pay cut if I found steady work somewhere else
Link Posted: 6/7/2021 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's ok but then you have to work in Akron.
View Quote

If you have questions about I Akron I can probable answer some of them.

I know you mentioned wanting LEO, but have you considered the Fire/EMS side. Same general shortage of personnel and many applicants are young and lack life experience. Same deal, larger departments will put you through their own Academy/EMT program and then pay for Medic school. Smaller agencies want you to have those prior to hire. Your looking at 2 months for a day-time fire Academy, about the same for EMT, and then 10 months of night school for medic.

Salary ranges differ and most contracts have some form of non-hourly monetary benefit, so a lot of times the actual rate is higher than advertised. I would bet you would see around $65k w/ benefits from most full-time departments in the area.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top