Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2003 2:30:23 AM EDT
Does anyone know if it is illegal to shoot on national trail land?

There is one about 5 minutes' drive from where I live and it would be(or should I say it is?) a great place to shoot--secluded, 60' high gravel cliffs, and it is rarely used.

I was wondering if anyone knows the laws regarding this or knows of a place to find firearm regulations on federal(?) land?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:16:03 AM EDT
[#1]
While National Parks and some National Trail systems have rules like this:

Fireworks and Firearms
*Do not set off fireworks or other explosives within campgrounds and other recreation sites.
*Firing a gun is not allowed:
a) in or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area;
b) across or on a road or body of water;
c) in any circumstance whereby any person may be injured or property damaged.

National Forest and Wilderness areas "generally" don't have such rules, (one reason I never backpack or hike in National Parks), as I have been known to kill a squirrel or rabbit for my supper when in the boonies.

Suggest ya get online and contact the area you intend on visiting and ask a Ranger.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:07:31 AM EDT
[#2]
www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=16&n=4849378&e=416590&s=25

This is the place, it doesn't show much as far as being a national trail, but maybe that is because it is such a small area???

The place where it says "Gravel Pit" south east of the mill pond is the place that would be an excellent place to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:00:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you talking about the Northern Unit of the Kettle Moraine Forest?
That's 30 minutes from me.

Where abouts are you from? Close to Fond du Lac?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Are you talking about the Northern Unit of the Kettle Moraine Forest?
That's 30 minutes from me.

Where abouts are you from? Close to Fond du Lac?

I live about 25 minutes east of Fondy. I'll send you an IM.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top