Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 5/9/2003 9:41:23 PM EDT
Ok, a legal question.. I've seen and heard numerous references to NJ residents purchasing either rifles or recievers in PA and bringing them back home. In some cases, I've heard that NJ paperwork can be filed out of state. My understanding was that guns and recievers had to be transferred into the state by an FFL. I like to err on the side of caution, but what gives?
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:52:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/10/2003 12:53:48 AM EDT by GiggleSmith]

I don't know.
hboringI just hope you can do it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:27:48 AM EDT
I got my AR at the Harrisburg, PA show last year. The dealers are set up for it. Have your FID card they fill out the paperwork and you are done.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:42:14 AM EDT
You can buy rifles in all state contiguios (I speeled it wrong, the states bordering NY) to NY. But not pistols, of course. I think I read it here but im not sure:
Go to www.nysrpa.org

IM NOT 100% SURE, dont quote me on this.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:39:26 PM EDT
I bought an AK in pennsylvania last week (from
a dealer) so there's proof of legality for
contiguous state sales.

Some dealers will be aware of YOUR state's
local laws , which may be a problem.

Of course if Jersey says the gun is illegal,
you would be a fool to take it home.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 7:37:56 AM EDT
New York State

Sec. 265.40 Purchase of rifles and/or shotguns in contiguous states.

Definitions. As used in this act:
1. "Contiguous state" shall mean any state having any portion of its border in common with a portion of the border of the state of New York;

2. All other terms herein shall be given the meaning prescribed in Public Law 90-618 known as the "Gun Control Act of l968" (18 U.S.C. 921).

It shall be lawful for a person or persons residing in this state, to purchase or otherwise obtain a rifle and/or shotgun in a contiguous state, and to receive or transport such rifle and/or shotgun into this state; provided, however, such person is otherwise eligible to possess a rifle
and/or shotgun under the laws of this state.

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:38:48 PM EDT
^^ I knew it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 7:53:04 AM EDT
dan, i went to wal-mart in PA and it even had a sign and the guy behind the counter told me that with an FID that NY and NJ residents can purchase longuns. Just more confirmation.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:40:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/17/2003 12:41:06 PM EDT by rkbar15]
We don't have no stinkin' FID card in NY. You can also bypass the NICS check with a "NICS Certifed" NY pistol permit.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:11:18 AM EDT
As long as it's legal to own in your state. I bought my AR15 in while I still had a NY drivers liscense. The FFL there was well versed on this subject. Not all FFL's know the law and some will sell you weapons that you can't legally take back home while others will refuse a perfectly legal sale due to thier misinterpretation of the law. The first FFL I went to in PA to buy an AR15 from, told me that I couldn't buy it I because it was illegal to own in Westchester County where I live. Then he said if I would have lived in upstate NY it was OK. That was a mistake on his part but there was nothing I could do but go to a more informed FFL. The price was higher but I got what I wanted. For our own protection it's best that we know the law and it may be handy to print out a copy if you plan on going to buy a weapon from an out of state FFL.
Top Top