Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2013 10:53:32 PM EDT
I was wondering if neck knives are legal to wear in Oklahoma.  I know our knife laws are pretty abstract but anyone have an idea on this?

Since the gun buster signs are everywhere and I'd like to have a self defense option that I can carry on my person most places.  I generally have a small knife in my purse but nothing actually on me.  I have a DPx Hest original fixed blade that I bought to be a neck knife but it's just too big and heavy for that and would probably be better served as a collector knife since it's basically NIB.  I came across an ESEE that would be perfect but not if it's illegal to carry.  The blade is 2.88" iirc and the knife itself only weighs 2 oz.  So is it legal to carry/wear one of these?  I can't see it being any different than carrying a pocket knife.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 6:36:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Call me stupid but what is a neck knife?
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I carried this but I was told it was illegal by deputies at the Logan Country Courthouse.
(I didn't carry it into the courthouse. We were just smoking a cigarette outside.)

I think a lot of of it depends on who you are and who stops you. There is no telling how an officer or a DA will interpret the law.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 8:33:58 AM EDT
[#3]
knife laws in okla are kinda

but from experence,all fixed blades are illegal unless actively used in the course of hunting/fishing.

Link Posted: 7/20/2013 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I carried this but I was told it was illegal by deputies at the Logan Country Courthouse.
(I didn't carry it into the courthouse. We were just smoking a cigarette outside.)

http://www.nssnc.com/content/images/thumbs/0042036_crkt-2385c-folts-minimalist_300.jpeg

I think a lot of of it depends on who you are and who stops you. There is no telling how an officer or a DA will interpret the law.
View Quote

Ah, one of those. I have never heard it called a neck knife before.  But then again I don't really know much about knives either.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

http://www.nssnc.com/content/images/thumbs/0042036_crkt-2385c-folts-minimalist_300.jpeg

View Quote

That's for sure.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
knife laws in okla are kinda
but from experence,all fixed blades are illegal unless actively used in the course of hunting/fishing.
View Quote

I thought any knife fixed or folding with a blade under 3" was legal to carry but after that I don't know.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=469751

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her person, or in a purse or other container belonging to the person, any pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded or any dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife, sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or unconcealed
View Quote

It is illegal to carry the spring-knives sold at walmart.  It would be illegal to carry one of those neck knives under state law if it could be classified as any in this list.  Might it be classified as an offensive weapon?  If so, you can't carry it.

There is no pre-emption for knives in OK so local ordinances can ban knives.

For example, in OKC it is illegal to sell pocket knives that have blades longer than 4"
§ 30-307. Sale of switchblade knife or knife with long blade.permanent link to this piece of content

No person shall offer for sale or exhibit for sale any knife commonly called a switchblade knife or spring-blade knife or any other pocket knife having a blade longer than four inches.
View Quote

Funnily enough, the handgun license only authorizes carry of handguns...  so I can carry a handgun with many boolits, but no knife.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It is illegal to carry the spring-knives sold at walmart.  It would be illegal to carry one of those neck knives under state law if it could be classified as any in this list.  Might it be classified as an offensive weapon?  If so, you can't carry it.

For example, in OKC it is illegal to sell pocket knives that have blades longer than 4"

Funnily enough, the handgun license only authorizes carry of handguns...  so I can carry a handgun with many boolits, but no knife.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her person, or in a purse or other container belonging to the person, any pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded or any dagger, bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife, sword cane, knife having a blade which opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife, blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any other offensive weapon, whether such weapon be concealed or unconcealed

§ 30-307. Sale of switchblade knife or knife with long blade.permanent link to this piece of content

No person shall offer for sale or exhibit for sale any knife commonly called a switchblade knife or spring-blade knife or any other pocket knife having a blade longer than four inches.

Oddly enough, if you have a "loaded" cane (lead in the head) you can be arrested for that too.
My father has a shillelagh he built for my grandmother (85) who walks every morning. It has lead in one end. She carries it for dogs.
She is now a criminal by Oklahoma statutes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Welp, "acquaintances of acquaintances who know people who don't give a rats behind" will be criminals, I suppose
Stupid nanny-state shit makes me sick... I try to follow the law as best as I can, but I'm certain I could be retroactively named a criminal too
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 6:33:23 PM EDT
[#10]
This state is messed up.  It's illegal to carry a small knife to defend your knife but completely legal to be killed because you couldn't defend yourself.   I have a disability that makes it difficult to just walk around but the only thing the state will allow me is a gun but only in certain areas,  pepper spray or a whistle.  In the meantime the bad guys carry whatever they want law or no law.  So, if the bad guy does what bad guys do, the rest of us, by law, are legally handicapped in their favor.  The concealed carry law helped some but while giving people the right to carry a gun but in the same stroke gave everyone else the right to block you from carrying it.

Maybe since we managed to get the gun rights moved ahead some, we can work on getting the state to put some reasonable knife laws on the books.  It makes no sense to make criminals out of law abiding people who just want the tools to defend themselves from the bad guys who don't obey the knife laws anyway.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not...I think its a completely nonsensical law though.  It makes no sense at all.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 8:16:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I'm not...I think its a completely nonsensical law though.  It makes no sense at all.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#15]
How does the gif apply to the conversation? I don't get it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

How does the gif apply to the conversation? I don't get it.
View Quote

its completely nonsensical to the subject,

it makes about as much sense as ok knife laws.

guess everyone missed the joke

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 1:58:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Did somebody mention Bigfoot??????

Link Posted: 7/21/2013 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#18]
It was a good try...sort of.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok, well a bunny with a pancake on it's head makes sense.  I do that a lot but so not often with a pancake,  usually it's a panda.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 12:43:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Panda? Did somebody mention Panda?????

Link Posted: 7/22/2013 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#22]
BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:27:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
(Off topic) That gif is from a video where the guy claims a raccoon attacked his dog, he intervened and threw the raccoon down the stairs.  More than likely his little dog attacked the raccoon, pet dogs seldom have any sense when it comes to going after a bigger, stronger animal.  His dog probably attacked the raccoon and then discovered it had more than it could handle, small poodle against a raccoon, raccoon wins.(/Back on topic)  
View Quote

That sounds like a reasonable guess.  I know my dog (Blue Heeler mix) has no business fighting raccoons, but he likes to chase them anyway.  Occasionally he catches them before they can get up a tree.  Fortunately, he's been faster than the raccoons so far, so they haven't been able to catch him back.  I'm worried about our Catahoula mix getting out without a leash and going after a raccoon, because there'll be no stopping her if she catches one and she doesn't have the reflexes of the Heeler.  Of course, Catahoulas are Louisiana's answer to the "we need a dog for everything from herding livestock to hunting coons", so she might have a chance, but I'd still put my money on the raccoon...

Oh, right, knives.  So, I carry a Gerber AR 3.00 folding knife in my pocket every day.  About 6 years ago, I got pulled over by an Oklahoma Highway Patrol officer for speeding (he had me dead to rights, let me go with a warning).  He spotted my knife, told me to put it on the hood of his car during the stop, reminded me to put it back in my pocket at the end of the stop, and didn't say another word about it.  The blade is just shy of 3" (2.94"), came out of the box razor sharp, and it locks up solidly.  If I had to use it for self defense, I wouldn't hesitate to do so.  If I were looking for a self-defense tool, I'd look for something specifically marketed as a combat folder (Kershaw and Gerber both make them) that is generally legal to carry as a pocket knife in Oklahoma (IANAL: no automatic/assisted opening, blade less than 3" and you should be fine).
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I have plenty of different knives but most women don't carry anything in their pockets assuming what we are wearing even have a pocket.  That's why I liked the idea of a neck knife.  Oklahoma law, as written, pretty much bans any knife not being used for recreational use, just by interpreting the law however it suits them and that's just wrong.  Every single guy (and many girls) , from young to old,  I ever knew growing up carried a folding knife (usually in a belt pouch) or a fixed blade (in a belt sheath) and there was never a problem but somehow Oklahoma has turned all these people into criminals...we shouldn't let that stand.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 5:11:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Possession = legal

Carry = illegal.

Maybe we should get the people at OK2A to change it somehow

Does Oklahoma have a knife rights organization?
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Didn't see the statute but dad says that automatic knives will be legal in Oklahoma come November 1.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 7:48:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#28]
There is a tacked thread in the Texas HTF that is a good read.  THe link is I didn't beat the ride Knife laws are different in Texas for CHL holders who are carrying but some law enforcement and DA's don't know this fact.  As nice as it would be to change laws it does not get rid of stupid, uneducated people in charge of enforcing them. Be careful what you wish for...
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't think any license at all should be involved.  Are you capable of carrying a knife? Why yes.  Then carry it.  End of discussion.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:29:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't think any license at all should be involved.  Are you capable of carrying a knife? Why yes.  Then carry it.  End of discussion.
View Quote

It's Texas though. Most Texans have to have a license to carry a knife so they can prove they know which part of the knife to cut with.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:32:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have plenty of different knives but most women don't carry anything in their pockets assuming what we are wearing even have a pocket.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I have plenty of different knives but most women don't carry anything in their pockets assuming what we are wearing even have a pocket.

I guess both of my sisters skipped that part of the woman's handbook.  Then again, neither of my sisters (why do I keep trying to type "systers"?) is particularly typical, so...

That's why I liked the idea of a neck knife.  Oklahoma law, as written, pretty much bans any knife not being used for recreational use, just by interpreting the law however it suits them and that's just wrong.  Every single guy (and many girls) , from young to old,  I ever knew growing up carried a folding knife (usually in a belt pouch) or a fixed blade (in a belt sheath) and there was never a problem but somehow Oklahoma has turned all these people into criminals...we shouldn't let that stand.

Oklahoma has plenty of laws that are just stupid in general.  Can't sell a car on a Sunday.  Can't cuss in front of a woman.  Can't shoot a whale from a moving vehicle.  You get the idea.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:01:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Didn't see the statute but dad says that automatic knives will be legal in Oklahoma come November 1.
View Quote

Might have him check that.  The way I understood it "automatic" knives were still banned, specifically switchblades.  What they did was take out the part about spring type knives.  Since no one knew what a spring type knife was, and may were confusing the spring assist knives with it.

Oklahoma knife laws are totally
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:18:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Ok, I found it.  It's House Bill 2170 all it did was remove "spring-type knife" from the wording. HB 2170 Link   The wording about switchblade and automatic knives is still there.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:02:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ok, I found it.  It's House Bill 2170 all it did was remove "spring-type knife" from the wording. HB 2170 Link   The wording about switchblade and automatic knives is still there.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll pass that on to him. An automatic knife or switchblade is also a spring assisted knife! The wording just got worse.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Yup, basically now it says any knife that opens by pushing a button is illegal which most LEO's are going to assume includes the assist knives.  Way to go Oklahoma...I wonder how much money it took to make a bad thing worse? Idiots.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#36]
It has always said that as long as I can remember.  All they did with this bill was to take out "spring-type knife" whatever the hell that is.  So really nothing has changed.  I do remember when I was a reserve for a small department years ago, right after the assisted opening knifes became popular, we did talk about possibly using the spring-type knife as a charge on an arrest one time. It wouldn't have been the primary charge (just a pile on). The knife was just an assisted opening knife, I don't remember the model or even brand.   It was decided that was not what the law was referring and let it be.  But there was a lot of confusion about it.  No one thought it would be classified as an automatic or switchblade.  So I do think the removal of spring-type knife is a good thing just didn't go far enough.  They should have just discarded the entire section IMO.

Oh and if you do a google search of "spring-type knife" most of what you get are the spring assisted knives like most of us carry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top