Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 8:57:49 AM EDT
I was reading some of the firearm laws for New Jersey and I couldn't find anything about whether or not an FID is needed to transport firearms.  So I was wondering if it is legal to go to and from the range without an FID assuming all other requirements are met to posses firearms.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was reading some of the firearm laws for New Jersey and I couldn't find anything about whether or not an FID is needed to transport firearms.  So I was wondering if it is legal to go to and from the range without an FID assuming all other requirements are met to posses firearms.  

The firearms laws here in the PRNJ were written so as to keep you "dazed and confused for so long it's not true."  And besides, that wasn't the legal statute you referenced, it was the AG's and NJSP's interpretations of the law.

Even being 100% legal will not prevent your arrest and subsequent processing in some cases.  Mistress Anne and the Flying Monkey squad do pretty much whatever they want.

Some ranges require you to have a FID in order to shoot there.  Others do not.

The FID card, other than being necessary for the purchase of a rifle or shotgun by a NJ resident or from a NJ FFL, is only wallet sized written proof that you are not a prohibited person.  It does not grant you any magical transport rights that you would not have without it.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:21:36 PM EDT
[#2]

So I was wondering if it is legal to go to and from the range without an FID assuming all other requirements are met to posses firearms

Technically, yes.  2C:39-6f(3)(b) says that it's legal to transport a firearm to/from any target range, so long as the firearm is unloaded, and either locked in the trunk or secured in a case.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top