Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/18/2006 8:05:24 PM EDT
I just recieved a handgun as a gift from my dad. I'm only twenty, not quite 21, and I wanted to make sure that if I take it to the range or keep it in my car, etc., I'm not breaking the law. I'm almost positive that you can possess a handgun at 18 in Georgia, but I don't want to become a felon just because I didn't know for sure, so if anyone is sure about the possession laws in Georgia, I'd really appreciate some insight.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:04:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:52:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:57:48 AM EDT
Yeah man, You gotta be 21. Put it away, you can wait a couple more months......What kinda pistol is it anyways?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:02:55 AM EDT
Uhh, not so fast there. Federal law only prohibits an FFL from selling a handgun to anyone under 21, not from them possessing it. So long as state law does not prohibit it, there's nothing illegal about a parent giving, or for that matter, a private party (who is a resident of the same state) selling a handgun to somebody under 21. There are at least a few states (Indiana comes to mind) where you can get a carry permit at 18. GA will not issue until you are 21 but I didn't see anything regarding possesion.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:03:27 AM EDT
It is perfectly legal that you own that gun. You can even carry it to the range in your car and shoot it at said range. The law states however that said gun must be in a case seperate from it's ammunition while you are carrying it. Ga will only issue a permit if you are 21 so don't get caught carrying until then or you will be up the creek. At first offense it is only a misdemenor but you will never get your carry permit. It's a good thing to check out the laws. Go to the Ga state website and find the section with all the gun laws or even simpler check out packing.org.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:18:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 3:22:54 PM EDT by Jay49]
Thanks guys... I was pretty sure that Georgia allowed you to possess a handgun (in your car, apartment, etc.) as long as you were older than 18, but it feels better to be certain. By the way its a Walther P99. --- One more question... I know different states have different laws regarding carrying a handgun in your vehicle, for example I think in NC it has to be in plain sight, in SC it has to be locked in the glove compartment, what about GA? If it has a loaded mag in it but is in my glove compartment, is that good to go? I really appreciate the help
Top Top