Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2014 10:25:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2014 11:56:48 AM EST by Starklefish]
A family member passed away Monday night.

AFAIK the deceased didn't leave a power of attorney. And I don't know if a death certificate is enough to close bank accounts and deal with financial issues. She left a car that I'm not sure whether it is paid for or not. It is hard enough to deal with the death, to make matters worse, the closest family is in TX.

So, any of you know if a death certificate is enough to deal with most financial issues? Or should she just forget about it all because it automatically goes to probate?

If I'm confusing, I'm sorry. I've never had to deal with an immediate family member dieing. It's tough living out of state and trying to figure out what to do with a family member that lived alone.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:41:08 AM EST
I can't help you but sorry for your loss. I went through something similar last year when my dad passed away in AZ but my mom is still alive so she was able to close everything with the death cert. I'm sure it isn't as easy with a sister or brother. PM sent.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:44:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/1/2014 9:45:55 AM EST by caser]
Did she leave a will?

Any assets?

Was she married?

What are your immediate concerns?

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:11:46 PM EST
DMV is not to bad if you're the immediate heir. There's a big form to fill out, and transfer fees. At the bank you can receive any funds from the account
if you are the beneficiary, have the death certificate, and sign an affidavit that states that there is no more than $125k in assets that are not in a living trust.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:14:02 PM EST
Thanks for the questions and help. Not married, no idea but probably very little if any assets, and as far as beneficiaries...no clue. A few things to look into.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:14:54 PM EST
Possible there is a will, but I'd be shocked.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:59:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/2/2014 12:00:12 AM EST by Paul]
Top Top