Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 7:28:27 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

Coming in from NY and want to know if pocket knife is legal to carry.  Any requirements?

Thanks

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I forget if it is 3" or 3.5" in the pocket fully concealed, but lots of people interpret the "concealed" to not apply if the clip is hanging outside your pocket (not covered by another garment) so that it is apparent that you have a knife in your pocket.  If that is the case, then the blade length can be longer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Nevada
Summary: Generally OK.
Max length: None apparent.
Specifically illegal: switchblades, belt-buckle knives
Relevant laws: NRS 202

I was at the legislature when they passed our CCW law.

There was an anti-Knife provision attached to it by the (Surprise!, not) NVSCA until nearly the last minute.
The bill was nearly passed when a senior senator realized that under the bill his pocket knife he had carried for about fifty years would become illegal.
So he moved for an amendment, extending the legal blade length, which was adopted.
Then another member realized that HIS knife would STILL be illegal under the new law, the blade length limit was amended again.
I'm not sure how many times this was repeated, I'm pretty sure at least three.
By that time the legislature was only moments away from their mandated deadline to adjourn, but they knew there would be hell to pay if the "Shall Issue" CCW bill was not passed.

If you look up our CCW law, you will see that the final knife amendment makes it illegal to carry.............
Are you ready for this?
A concealed MACHETE!

Previous law forbids switch blades and gravity knives, unless you are L.E. or quadriplegic.
I think "Dirks", Daggers, etc. are also illegal here.

So you should be OK unless you are carrying a Stealth Machete.
From what I know even a single edge sword or rapier might be technically legal, but I would not want to be the test case.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know about that link or the quoted portions above.  What about the county ordinances regulating the blade length?

Like I said above, I am pretty sure 3" is okay and maybe 3.5", but I am not motivated enough to find out...lol
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:56:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I know that for firearms Nevada is a preemption state, with the exception of Clark County.

That should apply to knives as well, but may not.

STATE law does not limit us to 3' or 3.5".

Unless they post the ordinance at the county line, I think local restrictions should fail the "Reasonable Man Test".

As in it is unreasonable to expect you to know the laws of every county or town, so the local "law" should be invalid.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:23:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't find anything on knives in the Clark County ordinances.

http://ordlink.com/codes/clarknv/index.htm
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:37:41 AM EDT
[#7]
No dirks, daggers or machetes allowed for concealed carry and no switchblades and no belt buckle knives.  Otherwise, you can carry a knive.

NRS 202.350  Manufacture, importation, possession or use of dangerous weapon or silencer; carrying concealed weapon without permit; penalties; issuance of permit to carry concealed weapon; exceptions.

1.  Except as otherwise provided in this section and NRS 202.355 and 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, a person within this State shall not:

(a) Manufacture or cause to be manufactured, or import into the State, or keep, offer or expose for sale, or give, lend or possess any knife which is made an integral part of a belt buckle or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a switchblade knife, blackjack, slungshot, billy, sand-club, sandbag or metal knuckles;

(b) Manufacture or cause to be manufactured, or import into the State, or keep, offer or expose for sale, or give, lend, possess or use a machine gun or a silencer, unless authorized by federal law;

(c) With the intent to inflict harm upon the person of another, possess or use a nunchaku or trefoil; or

(d) Carry concealed upon his person any:

(1) Explosive substance, other than ammunition or any components thereof;

(2) Dirk, dagger or machete;

(3) Pistol, revolver or other firearm, or other dangerous or deadly weapon; or

(4) Knife which is made an integral part of a belt buckle
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:09:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You didn't look very hard.

12.04.180 Concealed weapons prohibited without permit.
It is unlawful, within the unincorporated area of Clark County, for any person to carry upon his person a concealed weapon of any description, including a knife with a blade of three inches or more, a gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm, capable of being concealed, without first having received written permission therefor from the sheriff. (Ord. 242 § 18, 1965)

There's similar language in the municipal codes of each of the incorporated cities of Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, and Henderson.
And there's no pre-emption statute in the NRS that covers knives.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You didn't look very hard.

12.04.180 Concealed weapons prohibited without permit.
It is unlawful, within the unincorporated area of Clark County, for any person to carry upon his person a concealed weapon of any description, including a knife with a blade of three inches or more, a gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm, capable of being concealed, without first having received written permission therefor from the sheriff. (Ord. 242 § 18, 1965)

There's similar language in the municipal codes of each of the incorporated cities of Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, and Henderson.
And there's no pre-emption statute in the NRS that covers knives.

ok, then the question being, does an exposed POCKET CLIP on a folding knife (more than 3 inches) constitute NOT concealed?, and therefor legal to carry?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

ok, then the question being, does an exposed POCKET CLIP on a folding knife (more than 3 inches) constitute NOT concealed?, and therefor legal to carry?

The easy answer is "it depends."

The clip must be discernable...as suggested above, NOT covered by a garment or otherwise concealed from view.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The easy answer is "it depends."

The clip must be discernable...as suggested above, NOT covered by a garment or otherwise concealed from view.  

Black clip with black pants and a black shirt just barely above the clip can be considered concealed but like Chiz says.... it 'depends.'
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top