Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2005 6:05:34 PM EDT
Would an FAL be legal in khalistan if it had a detachable magazine, but no pistol grip?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:31:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, as long as the receiver is NOT manufactured or stamped by FN.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#2]
the FAL is a mean toy and hard enough to shoot if you don't know how to hold it right! So imagine without a pistol grip? The shit is going to be hard to shoot.
Just an FYI
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. I want an FAL, but I also want the detachable clip. Ive seen on the new DSA FALs they have a small screw holding the clip in place, and the clip is removable, for "cleaning purposes only". I also plan on moving to nevada in the next year or 2, so I want to be able to readily convert it back to original condition, ie pistol grip and detachable clip. So would the DSA be convertable? Or would it be easier to make one without the pistol grip and suffer through a little bit, and have it converted?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. I want an FAL, but I also want the detachable clip. Ive seen on the new DSA FALs they have a small screw holding the clip in place, and the clip is removable, for "cleaning purposes only". I also plan on moving to nevada in the next year or 2, so I want to be able to readily convert it back to original condition, ie pistol grip and detachable clip. So would the DSA be convertable? Or would it be easier to make one without the pistol grip and suffer through a little bit, and have it converted?

Detachable clip?

Hell, just get a stripper clip guide dust cover and you can have all the detachable clips to feed into your fixed magazine you want!

The "screwed-in magazine catch" is an easy fix - you just need to buy a new spring and magazine catch when you move. It's a 5-minute swap-out.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Detachable clip?

Hell, just get a stripper clip guide dust cover and you can have all the detachable clips to feed into your fixed magazine you want!

The "screwed-in magazine catch" is an easy fix - you just need to buy a new spring and magazine catch when you move. It's a 5-minute swap-out.

Hey now, go easy on the noob
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Detachable clip?

Hey now, go easy on the noob

But he started off so well!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#7]
What lower could I get? DSA offers an inch pattern lower, but would an ffl transfer it?    

Where did I go wrong?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What lower could I get? DSA offers an inch pattern lower, but would an ffl transfer it?    

Where did I go wrong?

I don't know much about FALs, but from what I hear, it's much better to go with the metric pattern over the inch because of the availibility of parts and magazines.  Speaking of magazines, they are magazines not "clips", that is why we can tell you're kind of new (well, that and post count).  Anything that contains bullets on its own is a box magazine.  A clip holds bullets to be put into the magazine or gun such as stripper clips or moon clips.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#10]
sry, double post.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, Paul. I wanted to take the pistol grip off because I want to be able to take the magazine, (thats right, I can learn), out. But most of the magazine release mods I've seen involve a screw, which should be easy to take out, right?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks, Paul. I wanted to take the pistol grip off because I want to be able to take the magazine, (thats right, I can learn), out. But most of the magazine release mods I've seen involve a screw, which should be easy to take out, right?

The screw is easy to unscrew for magazine removal, however in order to return it to a Free-State™ version (removeable magazine) you need to replace the CA-modified magazine catch to a normal one, and replace where the screw was with a magazine catch spring. Both pieces hsould cost under a couple bucks, and both can be replaced easily without special tools within about 5 minutes (when you relocate outside the PRK)

ETA: get a metric receiver. DSA is good, Coonan is too, if you are building from a kit.

ETA2: Learning noted, welcome to the disease.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:26:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought there was a mod that used a screw smaller than the ID of the spring so the screw would actually be the only needed to remove to make the mag release function like a normal FAL, besides the fact that it had a tapped hole in it.

I thought I even shot someone's at one of the shoots whose was like that. I won't says whose in case they don't want to be mentioned, but I know they and several other people know who they are. Was that just slightly modified, or had extra parts for 'storage', etc.?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:27:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did I go wrong?

I don't know much about FALs, but from what I hear, it's much better to go with the metric pattern over the inch because of the availibility of parts and magazines.  Speaking of magazines, they are magazines not "clips", that is why we can tell you're kind of new (well, that and post count).  Anything that contains bullets cartridges on its own is a box magazine.  A clip holds bullets cartridges to be put into the magazine or gun such as stripper clips or moon clips.

Speaking of noobs...

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did I go wrong?

I don't know much about FALs, but from what I hear, it's much better to go with the metric pattern over the inch because of the availibility of parts and magazines.  Speaking of magazines, they are magazines not "clips", that is why we can tell you're kind of new (well, that and post count).  Anything that contains bullets cartridges on its own is a box magazine.  A clip holds bullets cartridges to be put into the magazine or gun such as stripper clips or moon clips.

Speaking of noobs...

Damnit, I knew I was going to get called on something!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I thought there was a mod that used a screw smaller than the ID of the spring so the screw would actually be the only needed to remove to make the mag release function like a normal FAL, besides the fact that it had a tapped hole in it.

I thought I even shot someone's at one of the shoots whose was like that. I won't says whose in case they don't want to be mentioned, but I know they and several other people know who they are. Was that just slightly modified, or had extra parts for 'storage', etc.?

Can you really do this? 'Cause that would be awesome.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top