Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2018 5:56:42 PM EDT
Our air conditioner went out, and we called the landlord to get it repaired. Landlord is sending a repair guy tomorrow, but immediately informed us that rent is going up by $100/mo effective June 1.

We've been living in this house for six years, but haven't had a contract since the first year's contract was up. Last year, the original owners (who built the house in the 60s) sold it, who about six months ago sold it to the current landlord.

We have had a number of issues with the house that all of the landlords so far have refused to fix:

None of the outlets are grounded - the ones that are required to be grounded by code are in fact bootleg grounded. The refrigerator and dishwasher (which came with the house) have had the third prong cut off of their power cords. Landlord refused to address this issue, and I brought it up when the house was being inspected for each sale, but neither the inspector nor the new landlord(s) cared.

There is a roof leak causing water to soak the ceiling in some places and run down the inside of the walls. Paint is peeling off of the ceiling and the walls in some places. Bigger than hand-sized chunks of paint are cracking off the walls. Landlords each paid some guy $20 to walk around on the roof and possibly slap some silicone on suspicious locations. None of them were willing to pay someone to crawl into the attic to look for damage.

Bathroom wasn't designed for a shower, and the tub enclosure has very poor ventilation. Mildew is bad, and none of the landlords are willing to do repairs or upgrade the bath fan.

The air conditioning unit is undersized. Our first summer, we called the landlord who sent a repair guy. Repair guy said the unit was sized for a modern (insulated) house 1/2 the size of this one (which is already small).

The carpet needed to be replaced when we moved in 6 years ago. (Don't really care about this one.)

Point is, is it legal for a landlord to raise rent because we asked for a repair?

I'm guessing, since there is no contract, they can. But can they raise rent with only 30 days notice?

And finally, when we move out, can they charge us for repairs like peeling paint on the ceiling and walls, worn out carpet, etc.? None of the damage was caused by anything other than either normal wear and tear, or the landlord refusing to make repairs like the leaking roof and inadequate bathroom ventilation.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 9:46:40 PM EDT
Cut your losses and move. Plenty of decent rentals to deal with all that crap. Maybe it's time to buy a house. You can still get a house with little to no down payment if your credit isn't complete crap
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 7:37:13 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By woodxdm:
Cut your losses and move. Plenty of decent rentals to deal with all that crap. Maybe it's time to buy a house. You can still get a house with little to no down payment if your credit isn't complete crap
View Quote
Already packing boxes.

If I hadn't already decided, the rental contract terms sealed the deal.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:14:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2018 11:15:55 AM EDT by eric10mm]
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 8:37:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By eric10mm:
All this, and yet you stay.  For years.    How bad can it really be?

ETA: Never mind. You have seen the light.  Buy a house and YOU can be the landlord. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By the_naked_prophet:
All this, and yet you stay.  For years.    How bad can it really be?

ETA: Never mind. You have seen the light.  Buy a house and YOU can be the landlord. 
Most of those things don't bother me in particular, but ongoing damage to a roof? Seems like something the owner would be interested in.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 9:28:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:37:17 AM EDT
I concur. My guess is the landlord isn't telling the owner about these issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By the_naked_prophet:

Most of those things don't bother me in particular, but ongoing damage to a roof? Seems like something the owner would be interested in.
I concur. My guess is the landlord isn't telling the owner about these issues.
Owner was the landlord until 6 months ago. None of the owners seemed to care. I suspect first owner (who built the house) is who bootlegged the outlets to fool the city inspectors who were checking to see if they were up to code.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:34:04 AM EDT
I suspect he wasn't getting enough rent or hoping for a mc mansion style buy out.
Time to move on.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 5:16:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 6:50:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Doctor, move yourself.

Call code enforcement after you're out, if there is such an office in your county.
View Quote
Half the house is packed already, closing on a house today.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:40:08 AM EDT
Congratulations on the move.
Enjoy your new digs.
Is there room to shoot at the new place?
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:58:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 1873spfd:
Congratulations on the move.
Enjoy your new digs.
Is there room to shoot at the new place?
View Quote
Moved from downtown to in town. I think people would get upset.
Top Top