Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 4:03:31 PM EDT
We all know that this place is a dump and there's not a whole lot we can do about it.  Time after time we talk about the "leave it cleaner than it was when you got there".  This is a hopless venture.  I know, bad attitude but there is no way to even make a dent in the mess.  Well last night I had a call of some night shooters up there.  We usually check it out to insure there is no alcohol involved and let folks go about their business.  I haven't been up there in awhile, what a fucking mess.  Water hearers, two of them, several computers, large wooden spools, microwave, refrigerator to name a few.  There was enough shot shells to fill the back of my pick up twice.  They are EVERYWHERE!  There are talks of closing Lefthand altogether.  By the looks of it up there, sounds like it'll happen.  

Oh, side note, the fire up there a month or so ago was started by tracer rounds.  Witness stated they noticed two guys running down the road with AK's and thought it was strange so they wrote their plate #.  After they got up to the shooting area there was a fire going and called the FD.  We contacted the suspected parties who admitted to shooting tracer rounds.  They started to see smoke and said they left to call the FD.  I guess they forgot once they got home.  Not sure if they are going to be charged or not.  It's up to the DA.

Most of the guys here seem to be fairly active about wanting to keep it clean, it's the others that are the problem.  I no longer shoot there.  Too much drama, and bull shit.  

This is just for info only.  No other reason for this topic.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree that the place is totally trashed, and there are a lot of strange people that shoot there that can really make it an unsafe place to shoot.  So if you don't shoot there anymore, where do you shoot?  Thats the only place I know of to shoot around Boulder, besides the riffle club, but thats not really an option.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Is Pawnee trashed the same way?  

To zcu64  asking people where they shoot once upon a time whould get a straight answer and an invite to shoot.  Nowdays however everyone wants to keep their shooting spots to themselves in the hope they dont have to deal with obnoxious dangerous idiots or avoid the mess that is Lefthand.  There are too many dumbasses in the world to be so open to people you dont know.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#3]

So if you don't shoot there anymore, where do you shoot?

I have the same problem. One thing I have found that opens up a lot of new places to shooting is a suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is Pawnee trashed the same way?  

To zcu64  asking people where they shoot once upon a time whould get a straight answer and an invite to shoot.  Nowdays however everyone wants to keep their shooting spots to themselves in the hope they dont have to deal with obnoxious dangerous idiots or avoid the mess that is Lefthand.  There are too many dumbasses in the world to be so open to people you dont know.

I guess you are right about that.  My buddies and I used to have a place to shoot that wasn't busy at all and wasn't trashed at all compared to lefthand, but that place got shut down for some reason, probably the people who lived in the canyon didn't like hearing gun shots.  People are going to trash places no matter what.  Unfortunately, there are more idiot and slob shooters than there are responsible shooters and that gives all shooters a bad name.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:50:56 AM EDT
[#5]
This was part of the problem in Shawnee,,off 285 S of Bailey,,FNG SLOBS ruin it for us.
editted Pigs out,,don't want any one thinking I don't like LEO's,,4th gen
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Similar reaction last Friday. I'd been going to the shooting spot about a mile further in for probably over a year (ever since the guy with the AR-50 started climbing the hill behind me, intending to - "safely"! - shoot over my head) but figured I'd have the place to myself on a rainy mid-morning workday. Last time I'd been up there was fresh off a cleanup and the change was depressing - so much crap it's unreal.

I've been on the waiting list for the Boulder Rifle Club since '99 (down to # 58 as of last June) and we just bought some land up north by the WY border that we can shoot on (when we can get to it) but the open range situation is looking kind of bleak in BoCo.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:36:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
We all know that this place is a dump and there's not a whole lot we can do about it.  Time after time we talk about the "leave it cleaner than it was when you got there".  This is a hopless venture.  I know, bad attitude but there is no way to even make a dent in the mess.  Well last night I had a call of some night shooters up there.  We usually check it out to insure there is no alcohol involved and let folks go about their business.  I haven't been up there in awhile, what a fucking mess.  Water hearers, two of them, several computers, large wooden spools, microwave, refrigerator to name a few.  There was enough shot shells to fill the back of my pick up twice.  They are EVERYWHERE!  There are talks of closing Lefthand altogether.  By the looks of it up there, sounds like it'll happen.  

Oh, side note, the fire up there a month or so ago was started by tracer rounds.  Witness stated they noticed two guys running down the road with AK's and thought it was strange so they wrote their plate #.  After they got up to the shooting area there was a fire going and called the FD.  We contacted the suspected parties who admitted to shooting tracer rounds.  They started to see smoke and said they left to call the FD.  I guess they forgot once they got home.  Not sure if they are going to be charged or not.  It's up to the DA.

Most of the guys here seem to be fairly active about wanting to keep it clean, it's the others that are the problem.  I no longer shoot there.  Too much drama, and bull shit.  

This is just for info only.  No other reason for this topic.

Since everyone here bitched about how dirty it is, you have all signed yourself up for the Lefthand Canyon cleanup on May 7th, going all day.  Bring gloves, rakes, shovels, garbage bags/cans, and pick-up trucks.  I'll be bringing six guys and at least one truck.  I'll put an arfcom bumper sticker on it.  If nobody mentions it, then you all are a bunch of whiny bitches that love to complain but hate to be part of the solution.

~SO
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I gave up on Left Hand a couple years ago. Too much trash, and more importantly too many idiots with guns. My friends weren't feeling safe up there.

Here is where I shoot now:

Take 285 South through Conifer. Make a left onto 126 and go throuh Pine. Keep going approximately 10 miles past Pine until you see the signs for a 'Scenic Overlook'. After you pass the scenic overlook, watch for a green shed on the left. After you pass the shed, there will be a turnoff to the left just before the road curves to the right, it has a marker numbered 534. There are several places to shoot in that spot. Try and keep it clean.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:27:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I gave up on Left Hand a couple years ago. Too much trash, and more importantly too many idiots with guns. My friends weren't feeling safe up there.

Here is where I shoot now:

Take 285 South through Conifer. Make a left onto 126 and go throuh Pine. Keep going approximately 10 miles past Pine until you see the signs for a 'Scenic Overlook'. After you pass the scenic overlook, watch for a green shed on the left. After you pass the shed, there will be a turnoff to the left just before the road curves to the right, it has a marker numbered 534. There are several places to shoot in that spot. Try and keep it clean.

No "trying" guys......just do it.

Thanks for the tip gunslinger!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:10:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If nobody mentions it, then you all are a bunch of whiny bitches that love to complain but hate to be part of the solution.

~SO

LOL. While I'm on-board with your sentiment, some of us are also a bunch of folks that have to travel out of state a lot for work . I'm supposed to be in NYC through 5/10 but I'll see if I can't wrap up/weasel out in time to comment on your truck.

Not that it isn't deserved, but I got sick of helping out on the cleanups because everyone was constantly bitching about [insert derogatory profanity here] shooters. I showed the flag enough and said I was a shooter and here I am cleaning with you but it didn't seem to matter much. One asshole actually started acting like he was going to start a fight - defused by a different flavor of asshole who warned, "He's one of those gun guys - he'll probably shoot you." Not exactly a "comfortable work environment", in HR terms.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:32:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Not that it isn't deserved, but I got sick of helping out on the cleanups because everyone was constantly bitching about [insert derogatory profanity here] shooters. I showed the flag enough and said I was a shooter and here I am cleaning with you but it didn't seem to matter much. One asshole actually started acting like he was going to start a fight - defused by a different flavor of asshole who warned, "He's one of those gun guys - he'll probably shoot you." Not exactly a "comfortable work environment", in HR terms.

Keith, as long as you help out at some point, I don't mind.  I just can't stand whiners.  

The guy bitching at you was either an aging liberal hippie douche that believes we should never go into the woods for fear of hurting them, or a 4x4 guy that thinks we are the worst people on earth for annihilating 2-3 acres worth of land while  the trails criss-cross throughout  the forest.  

That said, I'll be the guy with the .40 on my hip, working with the guy with a 1911 on his hip, working with a bunch of other, more heavily armed men.  I doub't we'll have any problems.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top