Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2009 6:37:02 PM EDT
as well as the make/model and caliber.  Am I required to give this info?  What happens if I sell this gun or buy a new one to carry?  Am I restricted to carrying ONLY this gun?

Also, what do you guys generally put down for the reason for wanting the permit?  I put: "For personal protection while at home, commuting, and traveling."  

What say you?

Thanks all!

UPDATE:     I went and applied today and she said I DO NOT have to put any info on the gun.  I didn't ask any further questions.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I did not, and was not asked to provide any weapons information when I got my permit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I am in lee co. I had to provide the same information.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#3]
OK... thanks guys.

I don't have a problem giving them that info, it was just a little strange I thought to see that on the application.  As long as I'm not limited to carrying just that gun, it's all gravy.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Twenty someodd years ago, I had to provide a Serial # in order to get a permit in Colbert Co. I've been told by what I consider a reliable source, such info is not required in Franklin Co.

I think the requirement is dependant on the Sheriff of your particular (Alabama) County.  I also suspect, that years ago, they (the respective Sheriff) probably used a copy of a form from a neighboring Sheriff.  (that's totally theory)

I've been 'aiming' (no pun intended) to get the wife permitted if for no other reason that for her to be sitting in our vehicle while I've stepped out, and one of my pistol's be in the car with her.  I plan on leaving off that Serial # info when we turn in her permit, we'll see how that goes and I'll try and remember to report back.

Rascal
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 11:54:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Jefferson County doesn't require any info on your firearms.

I'm pretty sure you're not required to get the permit from the Sheriff of your home county.  If you don't want to provide the info then you could apply for it in one of your neighboring counties.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:33:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Back early to mid ninties Jefferson Co. used to ask for that type of info. but they changed that. I guess they figured people like to change thier carry guns.
Now the permit is for the person not the gun.
And the reason I put is for personal protection.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 2:44:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had permits in Jefferson and Etowah counties and neither required any info on the weapon at all.  Guess it's sheriff dependent.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 3:04:12 AM EDT
[#8]
My first time filling out the paperwork in Montgomery county (> 10 years ago), there was a section on the form for that info.  I asked the lady about it, and she said leave it blank.  It was approved no problem.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:03:00 AM EDT
[#9]
My first time filing it out about 12 years ago in tuscaloosa they required a serial number, make, model. When I sold the gun and went to get a new permit when the old one expired I told them I had sold the gun and asked if I needed to put down the new info. They told me no, only if I wanted to, which I did not. I also asked if I needed to list all of the guns I plan on carrying since it changes from time to time and was informed no. I think the requirement is just to prove that you infact own a gun, and thus need the permit...just my thought though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:15:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Many, many years ago, the sheriff of Mobile county required that type of info for a pistol permit.  By the time I got mine, the application still requested it, but I was told by the clerk to ignore that part.  She told me the new sheriff (at the time) didn't care what you had.  They just had not gotten around to printing up new, revised applications.  It's been that way ever since.  I've never had to tell them what firearms I had or why I wanted a pistol permit.  Mobile county treats it as a "shall issue" permit.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 5:24:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
as well as the make/model and caliber.  Am I required to give this info?  What happens if I sell this gun or buy a new one to carry?  Am I restricted to carrying ONLY this gun?

Also, what do you guys generally put down for the reason for wanting the permit?  I put: "For personal protection while at home, commuting, and traveling."  

What say you?

Thanks all!

I would not give them that information about the gun period, that is a back door gun registration which is illegal IMO.  Leave it blank, the conceal carry permit in AL is for the person not the gun.  If that sheriff will not issue you a permit, got to your neighboring county.  Just tell that sheriff that yours is anti gun.

What you wrote down for wanting the permit is also good, but if you want to add the following "for all lawful purposes"

Edit: The following is the state reg on issuing permits.  Ask the sheriff for his regulations that he has for issuing permits and see what is stated in that.

§ 13A-11-75. License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person ––
Issuance; term; form; fee; revocation.
The sheriff of a county, upon the application of any person residing in that county, may
issue a qualified or unlimited license to such person to carry a pistol in a vehicle or
concealed on or about his person within this state for not more than one year from date of
issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or
property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol, and that he is a suitable
person to be so licensed. The license shall be in triplicate, in form to be prescribed by the
Secretary of State, and shall bear the name, address, description, and signature of the
licensee and the reason given for desiring a license. The original thereof shall be
delivered to the licensee, the duplicate shall, within seven days, be sent by registered or
certified mail to the Director of Public Safety, and the triplicate shall be preserved for six
years by the authority issuing the same. The fee for issuing such license shall be one
dollar ($1) which shall be paid into the county treasury unless otherwise provided by
local law. Prior to issuance of a license, the sheriff shall contact available local, state, and
federal criminal history data banks to determine whether possession of a firearm by an
applicant would be a violation of state or federal law. The sheriff may revoke a license
upon proof that the licensee is not a proper person to be licensed.
(Acts 1936, Ex. Sess., No. 82, p. 51; Code 1940, T. 14, §177; Acts 1947, No. 616, p. 463, §5; Acts 1951,
No. 784, p. 1378; Code 1975, §13-6-155; Act 2006-551, §1.)
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#12]

my reason was "because chicks dig big guns"
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure you're not required to get the permit from the Sheriff of your home county.  If you don't want to provide the info then you could apply for it in one of your neighboring counties.

Unfortunately, you do have to apply in your county of residence.  As for the serial number issue, my county does not ask for it. However, IF a sheriff requires it, you would likely have to provide it or he could deny the permit. Remember, Alabama is a may issue, not shall issue state. Not good I know, but it is that way currently.
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, you do have to apply in your county of residence.  As for the serial number issue, my county does not ask for it. However, IF a sheriff requires it, you would likely have to provide it or he could deny the permit. Remember, Alabama is a may issue, not shall issue state. Not good I know, but it is that way currently.

Are you sure??  I could've sworn we were "shall issue".
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Are you sure??  I could've sworn we were "shall issue".

§ 13A-11-75. License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person ––
Issuance; term; form; fee; revocation.
The sheriff of a county, upon the application of any person residing in that county, may
issue
a qualified or unlimited license to such person to carry a pistol in a vehicle or
concealed on or about his person within this state for not more than one year from date of
issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or
property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol, and that he is a suitable
person to be so licensed. The license shall be in triplicate, in form to be prescribed by the
Secretary of State, and shall bear the name, address, description, and signature of the
licensee and the reason given for desiring a license. The original thereof shall be
delivered to the licensee, the duplicate shall, within seven days, be sent by registered or
certified mail to the Director of Public Safety, and the triplicate shall be preserved for six
years by the authority issuing the same. The fee for issuing such license shall be one
dollar ($1) which shall be paid into the county treasury unless otherwise provided by
local law. Prior to issuance of a license, the sheriff shall contact available local, state, and
federal criminal history data banks to determine whether possession of a firearm by an
applicant would be a violation of state or federal law. The sheriff may revoke a license
upon proof that the licensee is not a proper person to be licensed.
(Acts 1936, Ex. Sess., No. 82, p. 51; Code 1940, T. 14, §177; Acts 1947, No. 616, p. 463, §5; Acts 1951,
No. 784, p. 1378; Code 1975, §13-6-155; Act 2006-551, §1.)

Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#19]
AL doesn't have a concealed carry state permit?

SMSP
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:24:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
AL doesn't have a concealed carry state permit?

SMSP

It does, but as we have hashed out it must be issued by the sheriff of the county that you live in.  And that license is good for any other county within AL and is accept as such by other states that recognize the AL permit.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:57:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
UPDATE:     I went and applied today and she said I DO NOT have to put any info on the gun.  I didn't ask any further questions.

I had to give this info when I got my first concealed weapons permit in 1993.  Since then, I have sold that gun, and that info is not included on the current permits.  The issue came about where people wanted to get a permit PRIOR to purchasing a weapon, therefore they had to stop asking applicants for info they didn't have.

It is also my understanding that AL is a "MAY" issue state based on your background check.  I don't know what they check for (other than obvious felonies).
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had to give this info when I got my first concealed weapons permit in 1993.  Since then, I have sold that gun, and that info is not included on the current permits.  The issue came about where people wanted to get a permit PRIOR to purchasing a weapon, therefore they had to stop asking applicants for info they didn't have.

It is also my understanding that AL is a "MAY" issue state based on your background check.  I don't know what they check for (other than obvious felonies).

If that were the case, then Alabama would be considered a "shall issue" state.  All "shall issue" states check your background before issuing you a concealed carry permit/license.  What makes them "shall issue" is that as long as you have a clean background, they must issue you the permit.  In Alabama, it's at the sheriff's discretion.  If they are anti-gun, they don't have to issue any permits.  Or they may only issue them to their friends.  It's a stupid system.

By the way, any dumb rules the sheriff prints on your permit that aren't state law can be ignored while not in his county.  Unfortunately, the sheriff can revoke your permit for any reason he sees fit.  So, it's not advisable to ignore them while in his jurisdiction.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top