Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/22/2005 2:53:16 AM EDT
Guys i will be bringing this knife (not on the plane) in my Luggage.

Is it Legal to wear it in public ?,clipped onto my pocket? Ineed some sort of Protection. I dont know the Laws in Chicago
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:55:43 AM EDT
You can have it in CHECKED luggage. If you try to bring it on the plane on your person or in your luggage you will be adding to the TSAs collection.

Once you get here I wouldn't worry about carrying it in public although it is probably technically illegal. I think the Illinois state law is that you can't carry a knife w/ a blade longer than 2.5". We have some a resident LEO that will probably check in shortly.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:26:05 AM EDT
It is fine to carry it in public. But if you want to fly below the radar, just keep the clip hidden. I never understood people that have to have the knife clip showing, like "Hey, I have a knife here, look at me." Toss it in the pocket and no one will ever know.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:41:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/22/2005 9:42:06 AM EDT by npd233]
The problem that some encounter with trying to interpret IL's UUW (unlawful use of weapons) law is that there is not any real cut and dry definitions of exactly what you can and can't carry. That being said, yes, you can carry a knife in IL. There are not any limitations in size. As far as I know you could legally walk down the street with a lifesize copy of Excaliber strapped to your hip. It becomes a criminal act when the carrying is done with the intent to unlawfully use said weapon against another.

(2) Carries or possesses with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a dagger, dirk, billy, dangerous knife, razor, stiletto, broken bottle or other piece of glass, stun gun or taser or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character; or

So you can carry that knife, as a utility or self defense tool, but not as an illegal weapon. Clear as mud for ya?

Might want to check with the City of Chicago's ordinances though. Not sure if they have local ordinances more restrictive than state law. I would not be suprised in the least if they did.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:41:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By npd233:
As far as I know you could legally walk down the street with a lifesize COPY of Excaliber strapped to your hip.

COPY? She told me it was the original!

Seriously though, you should be fine carrying the knife in Chicago- just don't try to get into a court building, etc.
Despite the city's crappy gun laws, it's a great place to visit - have a good trip!
Mike
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:02:46 AM EDT
Chicago Municipal Code - Firearms & Other

http://chicityclerk.com/legislation/codes/chapter8_24.html#021

...No person shall carry concealed on or about his person a pistol, revolver, derringer or other firearm or dagger, dirk, stiletto, bowie knife, commando knife, any blade of which is released by a spring mechanism, including known knives as "switch-blades" or any other type or kind of knife, any blade of which is more than two and one-half inches in length...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:06:37 AM EDT
Thnx alot fellas! I can Always count on the ARF.com crew!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:32:24 AM EDT
Also remember that no matter what the law/Municipal Code says, the Chicago Police has a "bust 'em all, and let the Judges sort them out" attitude. Basically, if the cops want to, they'll throw you in the pokey and let you deal with the Judicial System. I have experienced this first hand.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:28:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/27/2005 8:29:41 PM EDT by drobs]
When in Chicago propper I move my Kershaw to my waistband. When out in the burbs it's in my front pocket. When I get called for jury duty down town, I usually take a generic knife and leave it in the bushes outside the Daley building.

I'm not paranoid!

Funny story, my best friend, is friend's with a FBI guy. The 3 of us went to a movie last year in Evanston together. I hear this guy is slowly coming around to 2A, but started off pretty anti gun. Anyways, I had to ask him if he was packing? He says to me "same thing you are!" Kershaw!

I was like, "what just a Kershaw!?!?"

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:59:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By drobs:
When in Chicago propper I move my Kershaw to my waistband. When out in the burbs it's in my front pocket. When I get called for jury duty down town, I usually take a generic knife and leave it in the bushes outside the Daley building.

Well you don't have to worry about someone taking it. Everyone else hides their cheap drop guns there before they go in. They're more attractive to your average thief than a generic folder.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:37:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By npd233:

Originally Posted By drobs:

Well you don't have to worry about someone taking it. Everyone else hides their cheap drop guns there before they go in. They're more attractive to your average thief than a generic folder.

Top Top