Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2006 5:46:30 AM EDT
What do you fellow Hoosiers think about leasing the Toll Road?

I think it's a bad deal for the state.  Especially the way the Governor is trying to rush the vote without providing all of the detail of the lease.  It gives me the impression that there is a lot he doesn't what the public to know.

What say you?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:28:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I say they can't be any worse than INDOT running the show.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:01:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure I trust Mitch w/ anything.  I actually think he may be quite incompetent.

The only beneficial thing I think I've gotten from him is a bunch of Green 2.5 inch "My man Mitch" stickers that I picked up somewhere during his candidacy  These stickers have proved to be very good targets and cheaper, yet not as high of quality, as Shoot-n-Sees.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:15:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen some of the details of the lease.  Lots of money for the counties the toll road runs thru and a little 3 year pork for the rest of us.

75 years is a long time...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#4]
You don't have to be the head cashier at WalMart to figure out it's a bad deal for the state.              
Bumper stickers should read; " My man's a Bitch"
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:56:44 AM EDT
[#5]
You guys crack me up. No wonder this State has gone absolutely nowhere in the last 20 years.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:48:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm trying to figure out why it would be bad..

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You guys crack me up. No wonder this State has gone absolutely nowhere in the last 20 years.

Explanation
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You don't have to be the head cashier at WalMart to figure out it's a bad deal for the state.              
Bumper stickers should read; " My man's a Bitch"

I have recently come across some "Ditch Mitch" stickers but unfortunately they are in the shape of a rectangle instead of a circle which makes a much less effective target
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Explanation

For starters, we were one of 2 continental states without DST. We had a State govn't being run by Union slouches, and the union nonsense ended on Day 1. They are now being awarded with pay increases based on performance.

I prefer not to get into a political debate about Mitch, because we'll just go back and forth on his policies, etc. However, I see Mitch as a "do'er" who is generally concerned about getting the State moving in the right direction. Doing nothing is not a solution.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Back to that again, huh?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Let's do the match on the basics.

1. We (the taxpayers) are being relieved of a significant financial burden.  The state has proven that not only can they not break even with toll income, they lose money the road every year.

2. There is significant potential for a lot of new jobs.

3. We're getting 3.8 Billion dollars up front (to be relieved of losing money for $75 years).

That sounds like a winner to me.

Even if the investors turn a ginormous profit, we still win as there is no way in hell the state could ever do it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I am against selling the toll road for many reasons.
I use the toll road all the time. It is a quick and speedy way to get places.
It is well maintained and functions fairly well.
When the weather gets bad around here, it is usually one of the only routes that stays open and clear.
Alot of truck traffic uses it, especially the triple trailers.

One of the biggest fears around here is that if someone get the toll road and then raises rates, like they have done in Chicago, all this large truck traffic will not use the toll road and start using alternate means to get thru. That will overflow into roads like US20 and SR120 that can't handle the traffic they already have.
How would you like to have increased truck traffic on your road?
Believe me, it isn't much fun.

When the toll road was initially created, it was suppose to be on a toll basis till it was paid for, then it was suppose to be a free way. Well, it was paid for many years ago and now it is a cash cow that is up for auction.

I don't care too much for the foreign company running it either.
Sure, if they don't run it right it will go back to the state, but what a waste of $ and time.
The only people who get punished are the ones that live around it and use it all the time.
Why not just put .$35 in an envelope every day and mail it to China.
Just more $ I have to pay out.
Wonderful.

Sorry folks.
I am not a big Mitch fan.
Never met him, hope I never do.

I do like the increased speed limits though.

Just my opinion, and I don't think I'm alone either.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm still working on trying to figure out why it would be bad...

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#14]
If I have to  pay a toll to use a road then I should get a refund from the gas taxes that I pay at the pump.

Is road maintenenace and funding what the gas tax pays for?  Sounds like paying twice for the use of a road.

Chuck
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

What say you?

I say you have a damn low post count for being a member for over 4 years .
(Keep 'em coming but don't overextend yourself ! )
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I use the toll road all the time. It is a quick and speedy way to get places.
It is well maintained and functions fairly well.
When the weather gets bad around here, it is usually one of the only routes that stays open and clear.
Alot of truck traffic uses it, especially the triple trailers.

One of the biggest fears around here is that if someone get the toll road and then raises rates, like they have done in Chicago, all this large truck traffic will not use the toll road and start using alternate means to get thru. That will overflow into roads like US20 and SR120 that can't handle the traffic they already have.
How would you like to have increased truck traffic on your road?
Believe me, it isn't much fun.

When the toll road was initially created, it was suppose to be on a toll basis till it was paid for, then it was suppose to be a free way. Well, it was paid for many years ago and now it is a cash cow that is up for auction.

I don't care too much for the foreign company running it either.
Sure, if they don't run it right it will go back to the state, but what a waste of $ and time.
The only people who get punished are the ones that live around it and use it all the time.
Just more $ I have to pay out.
Wonderful.

Sorry folks.
I am not a big Mitch fan.
Never met him, hope I never do.

I do like the increased speed limits though.

Interesting.

Why do we need toll roads anyway?  FWIW I have ridden the IN toll road, a lot nicer than what we put up with.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Im thinking its a good thing. Someone show me just ONCE where the state, ANY state ran an efficient toll road. We get about 4 Bil upfront and dont have to worry about spending tax dollars on upkeep of the toll road. There seem to be built in clauses to assure that the road will be maintained and if there is any problems the state can void the contract and keep the $.   Mitch hasnt quite turned out like I hoped but how many dont like this plan based on thier feelings about Mitch. If it were dumbocrats pushing this would it be all better?  But the dumbocrats would never do that due to all of the patronage jobs.  One more thing, I heard Mitch say the contract has strong buy Indiana clauses for anything associated with this project.
Yup, tolls go up some but they are really low now.
I dont really see the downside unless your lookin to bash Mitch.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I have to ask, how is china involved in this??  I seem to recall this was a venture between an aussie company and an Italian company?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:27:39 AM EDT
[#19]
From everything I heard till last nite, it was a foreign company.
Didn't know where it was from when I posted.

Sounds like everyone wants a piece of the action now.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:13:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I listened to Mitch on the Garrison radio show this week driving to work and it was brought up that the companies involved are pulicly traded on the US stock markets and there was quite a bit of stock ownership in this country.  I cant verify that but Garrison is pretty good about making sure of what he says is valid I think.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:22:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If I have to  pay a toll to use a road then I should get a refund from the gas taxes that I pay at the pump.

Is road maintenenace and funding what the gas tax pays for?  Sounds like paying twice for the use of a road.

Chuck

I'll have to second this sentiment.  I hate toll roads in general.  I only go through one toll booth in IL on the way home to WI, but it still bugs me to have to stop and pay it.  

If the tolls are losing money why not just ditch the expense of maintaining the booths, paying the attendants, etc. and make the road a regular interstate?  Should save money, right?  Same upkeep for the pavement, but less expense overall.  

If the road is free, there's no incentive for trucks to bypass it either.  The toll I pay in IL had been $.40 for as long as I could remember.  Suddenly it went up 25% to $.50, then the very next year it goes up another 100% to $1.00.  I only make the trip once or twice a year, but it still pisses me off.  If I was a trucker passing through more than one booth and doing it every day or two I'd be looking for a different route.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:42:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What say you?

I say you have a damn low post count for being a member for over 4 years . h.gif)

What does a low post count have to do with Toll Roads? Maybe Leonard_Lawrence is like me, I don't have a lot of time to be on-line. When I'm here I like to read more than post. So now I guess you are going to bad mouth me for the same thing?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What say you?

What does a low post count have to do with Toll Roads? Maybe Leonard_Lawrence is like me, I don't have a lot of time to be on-line. When I'm here I like to read more than post. So now I guess you are going to bad mouth me for the same thing?

It has nothing to do with toll roads (didn't say it did) and why do you want to be bad mouthed since I didn't bad mouth anyone ? It was simply an observation or do those hurt your feelings also ? By the way, when were you appointed "Hall Monitor" ?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What say you?

It has nothing to do with toll roads (didn't say it did) and why do you want to be bad mouthed since I didn't bad mouth anyone ? It was simply an observation or do those hurt your feelings also ? By the way, when were you appointed "Hall Monitor" ?

Just keep making friends dont you billy?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Even if we gave them the road we would be money ahead.  Have you ever seen the government run anything efficiently?   We are this paying for the RCA dome that is getting torn down.  Also I do not think a company that is going to invest this kind of money will raise rates so high that no one will use it.  That is the kind of crap Democraps do.   Maybe Mitch will spend this windfall better than the last 2 Governors did with the lottery, river boat, horse track & tobacco law suit money.  

Hope I did not pee in to many Wheaties
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:45:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Just keep making friends dont you billy?

Good to see you still making inane remarks and ridiculous claims.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#27]
wetidlerjr or should I say wettoddlerjr. You didn't hurt my feelings at all , I just don't understand why people like you have to be dickheads. Is it because your sexually deprived or what ? hing,

P.S. Your picture should be of WonderWoman!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
yada, yada, yada...

I live in Tipton IN. Drop by anytime. My number is in the book. I always like to meet keyboard commandos that hide behind such creative names as "Mechaniac".  Have a nice day !
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
yada, yada, yada...

I live in Tipton IN. Drop by anytime. My number is in the book. I always like to meet keyboard commandos that hide behind such creative names as "Mechaniac".  Have a nice day !

Why don't you two exchange email addresses & start a virus war on each other or at least do your bitching at each other there
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:46:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
yada, yada, yada...

Why don't you two exchange email addresses & start a virus war on each other or at least do your bitching at each other there

Sounds good ! I'll try that !
(got any good viruses ?)
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
yada, yada, yada...

Sounds good ! I'll try that !
(got any good viruses ?)

Post your email address on this page & we'll make it a virus gang bang
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
wetidlerjr or should I say wettoddlerjr. You didn't hurt my feelings at all , I just don't understand why people like you have to be dickheads. Is it because your sexually deprived or what ?
And one more thing, If I were Hall Monitor your ass would be in detetion!

P.S. Your picture should be of WonderWoman!

FUNNY!  
You will soon find out your wasting your time on this. Besides, after a while it gets to feel like your picking on a special olympics kid.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:50:03 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
yada, yada, yada...

heMechaniac
".  Have a nice day ! hr

You calling me a keyboard commando, Very Funnyh Have a nice dayhould
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:10:05 AM EDT
[#34]
OK I'm going to stop. We should get back on the subject of toll roads.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm tired of baby-sitting this thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top