Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2012 6:50:25 PM EDT
I landed up buying a shop today and got a few lbs of lead. What's the going rate and are car wheel weights in demand?

I'm guessing I have 20-30lbs. Maybe more.

I was going to drop them off at the recycler but figured someone else might be interested
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Uncleaned with clips, only about 33¢ last I checked, could be more now. Lots of waste in wheelweights though.

Copper is where the money is now.

Make sure you check them for zinc weights. Scrapyards may reject them if they see zinc weights mixed in, I know the one I deal with will.

ETA: Just brought these home this week. Guy gave them to me for clearing the codes from his truck after he replaced the fuel pump (no, disconnecting the battery didn't work).
He never took them to the scrapyard because they were "full of zinc."
What you see in the pic is the result of sorting, only 2 pounds of zinc and 41 pounds of lead weights. Turns out the zinc weights were mostly right on top.

[edited cuz I'm sleepy]
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#2]
40 cents a pound in Marietta
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
40 cents a pound in Marietta

Could be more here now. It's been awhile since I checked the price. I was buying about a hundred pounds and didn't want to get outbid by the scrapyard.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top