Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 4:38:58 AM EDT
Same old story.......Why is that Gov't IT projects are always delivered over-budget and late (if they're not scrapped that is...)

Emma Nash, Computing 19 Jan 2006

Technical problems have once again delayed the national firearms register, nine years after it was first proposed (Computing, 27 July).

The National Firearms Licensing Management System (NFLMS) is intended to provide a searchable, national register of all firearms certificate holders.

But trials of the troubled system were suspended at the end of last year when they encountered data quality problems.

Now the Police IT Organisation (Pito) hopes to start installing the system at police forces in England and Wales from April, but says there is no firm target for completion of the project.

‘During the pilot there were a number of data quality issues, which meant the system was returning errors, so the system was declined,’ a Pito spokeswoman told Computing.

‘By April, it is hoped that another pilot will have taken place and that the system will have been signed off for full implementation,’ she said.

The register, which has been developed by supplier Anite, was recommended after the Dunblane tragedy in 1996, and was passed into law in the 1997 Firearms (Amendment) Act.

The system has been plagued by problems relating to certificate printing and bandwidth, for example, and deployment has been delayed on numerous occasions (Computing, 24 October 2004).

Rick Naylor, president of the Police Superintendents’ Association of England and Wales, says the delay creates problems for police forces.

‘It’s disappointing that after something as horrendous as Dunblane, and the recommendation from that inquiry, that we are still here in 2006 waiting for the delivery of that recommendation,’ said Naylor.

There will be a debate on the problems with the NFLMS in the House of Lords today (Thursday), initiated by Lord Marlesford.

‘It is astonishing that in January 2006 police forces nationally still have no way of accessing in real time details of those who hold, or who did hold, or who have been refused licences to possess firearms, or of identifying such firearms,’ said Marlesford, who blames Home Office reticence for the prolonged delays to the register.

‘If the Home Office really is incapable, over a period of eight years, of computerising something as straightforward as a few hundred thousand firearms records, then it does suggest that they do not have a hope of making a success of the introduction of the national identity card scheme,’ he said.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:45:53 AM EDT
[#1]
What I find so amazing is that there are not that many FAC holders in the UK. We're not talking about millions and millions of people's details _ and they are incapable of handling this relatively simple issue...imagine 55 million + ID cards
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:12:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:25:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
150,000 Section 1's and they already have our life history in quadruplicate! And the Labour Fuckwits think they can bring in ID cards?

ANdy

I just don't see how the incompetent pencil pushers will be able to bring in ID cards at a fair cost either...we'll end up paying a lot of money for something that won't make much difference at all. Just more paperwork and beaurocrisy...

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:28:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Its for the children, and don't you forget it.......
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:20:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Mental mental mental......
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:14:44 AM EDT
[#7]
It's just a show for the public.  Same as the ID card bullshit.  It doesn't matter if it actually works or achieves some useful purpose, never mind all the nefarious ones it can be used for.

Same shit on this side of the pond.  Politicians are about as useful as tits on a boar.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Sound's like they'd be better off opening a new Exel data

Or haven't they figured window's out yet.

I believe they are trying to sell an unused piece of realestate in Wales, I believe that it used to belong to the RAF. Cost a small fortune to build, any bet's that thier mate's ate a certain BAE company get it....

Toe  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:05:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I know all about the real estate in Wales
Government fuck up from start to finish. Adam Ingram gives the go ahead for construction of a state of the art "Super Hangar" to allow the MOD Civilians (at a greatly reduced price than if the RAF did the servicing) to service the RAF's fleet of severely ageing aircraft.

Then

Decides to move the work to RAF opperating bases so they can do the 3/4th line maintenance. Which the RAF do not want to do. Their downsize after the last Strategic Defence Revue left them only wanting to participate in 1st/2nd line servicing...now they get the work they did not want and Wales looses the work they built a new "Super Hanger" for.  Complete waste of money...barmy.

Firearms register...hmmm

Since when were we legitimate firearm shooters a problem. I can't remember the last time I went out and robbed a bank with my straight pull We have enough hoops to jump through as it is.

Data quality issues....
That covers a mulitude of sins

Taffy

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Pito:
Pain
In
The
Organ

Did I do it right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top