Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 1:47:51 AM EDT
Greetings.  Are there ammo retrictions with respect to shotshell loads (e.g. lead)?  Are you required to use steel shot?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:03:36 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Greetings.  Are there ammo retrictions with respect to shotshell loads (e.g. lead)?  Are you required to use steel shot?

There is probably a Fish and Game law restriction on certain shot loads (i.e. steel shot) for hunting upland birds and waterfowl, but I am not aware of any restrictions on lead shot for training/self-defense purposes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:21:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Steel shot and nontoxic shot is only required on migratory water fowl and dove.  www.ndow.org
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.   That is what I figured.  Read somewhere that ppl thought that the lead shot would be (could be) eaten by the birds with subsequent lead poisoned fowl.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Steel shot and nontoxic shot is only required on migratory water fowl and dove.  www.ndow.org

I think you are only required to use steel on dove if you are on some of the Wildlife areas.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#5]
That was the restriction I remember too.

Lead was OK outside certain refuge/areas, but due to the waterfowl, they wanted steel/non-toxic shot.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you are only required to use steel on dove if you are on some of the Wildlife areas.

Interesting.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Been a few years since I've gone dove hunting but we used to go to the Overton wildlife refuge and they did not require steel for the dove, also dove for some reason wasn't listed under same restrictions as migratory birds IIRC.  But that was at least 4-6 years ago.. I know duck/goose is/was steel.....

John P..
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Things have changed since then. HIP numbers, Shot restrictions for certain areas and game, and special stamps. Read the regs yearly.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Been a few years since I've gone dove hunting but we used to go to the Overton wildlife refuge and they did not require steel for the dove, also dove for some reason wasn't listed under same restrictions as migratory birds IIRC.  But that was at least 4-6 years ago.. I know duck/goose is/was steel.....

John P..

I used to hunt an area in central Ca that required steel for waterfowl but allowed lead for hunting dove in the same area.  Made little sense to me.

Best bet is to check with NDOW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top