Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2011 3:44:51 AM EDT
I will be coming down to Las Cruces for my father in laws wedding on Oct. 1, I am wondering if it is worth it to spend an extra day or 2  to sight see.

So, is there anything besides the white sands test area that is of interest to see there. Also do I need to be worried of any parts of Las Cruces since I will not be bringing a CCW, unless I decide to drive instead of fly.

Any ideas are welcome, Thanks!

Kris

UPDATE 9-2-11
Bump to top for any more suggestions, or info.

Any non mexican restaurants that are worthwhile?

Will be leaving for there in just over 3 weeks and I want to make sure I have all the good spots to stop and see / avoid, eat etc., I put the suggestions below on a list already.

Thanks again!!

Kris
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 6:57:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I will be coming down to Las Cruces for my father in laws wedding on Oct. 1, I am wondering if it is worth it to spend an extra day or 2  to sight see.

So, is there anything besides the white sands test area that is of interest to see there. Also do I need to be worried of any parts of Las Cruces since I will not be bringing a CCW, unless I decide to drive instead of fly.

Any ideas are welcome, Thanks!

Kris

New Mexico is CCW friendly, just don't CCW on the University campus, I think it is illegal to carry there. Not that your going there, just in case. Also, El Paso and Juarez are a quick 10-15 min drive south of there. Juarez, I remember as a kid had some pretty cool flea markets. I don't know if this has changed any. The few times I've been as an adult it was for cheap beer. But I think you need a passport to get across now. The White Sands dunes are cool, you can rent a snow disc (at the gift shop) and "surf" the sands all day if you wish. But it is very hot, find a picnic table with shade (they're out there) and bring lots of water. Lots of water! There is none available out there. Water to drink and water to rinse the sand off. Also, bring a change of clothes for the trip home, or you will have sand in your crack the whole way home, which is not fun. Hope that helps, have a good time and enjoy our state, as it is on of the most beautiful states in the union.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 7:13:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Last I was down there and if you head that way, Alamogordo had some awesome exhibits at the New Mexico Museum of Space History. Alfredo's was the spot for New Mexican food. Las Cruses was fun, when I knew someone going to school there, but otherwise I wouldn't go unless I wanted to stop for a drink and see a really unique dive bar. Ben had it right with telling you to bring water!
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#3]
White Sands National Monument is definitely something you should see!  It's about 50 miles east of Cruces.  Also on the way over there you can visit the museum at White Sands Missile Range.  You can park at the visitor center and walk over to the museum.

Alamogordo is about 20 miles east of the monument and yes the space history museum is pretty interesting.  There is an IMAX theater there that shows some pretty good educational films.  

Someone mentioned Alfredo's as a good restaurant in Alamogordo but sadly it has closed.  It was by far the best place to eat.  In Cruces I would recommend eating at El Sombrero and El Comedor.  Avoid Si Senior it is the definition of touristy.  The other two I mentioned are the best food you will find.

El Paso is about 30 miles south and is a much bigger city but honestly I haven't found much interesting stuff there.  I would strongly suggest you do not go down to Juarez.  There is a huge drug war going on and 10-20 people are murdered every day.

Link Posted: 8/5/2011 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Things to do in Las Cruces.

Eat at La Posta in Old Mesilla.  While you're in Ol' Mesilla, check out the Plaza, plenty of shops full of touristy things.  In Cruces, Nopalito's is the best food.  

If you're into hiking and checking out old stuff, drive up to Dripping Springs Canyon in the Organ Mountains and check out the old hotel.  Fort Seldon (old Union fort) is 20 miles North of town.  Pretty cool to peruse thru the ruins and check out the museum.

If you have to venture into Mexico, don't go to Juarez.  I friend of mine went to Palomas (South of Deming) a couple of weeks ago and said it wasn't as bad as Juarez.  You have to have your passport, though.

Other than that, not much to do around there, that's why I don't live there anymore.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#5]
North to Socorro, west to Magdalena, there's the Very Large Array radiotelescope. This was the array Jodie Foster was playing with in the movie "Contact."

The Alamagordo Space Museum is a good visit, too.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Eat at La Posta in Old Mesilla.  While you're in Ol' Mesilla, check out the Plaza, plenty of shops full of touristy things.  In Cruces, Nopalito's is the best food.  

If you're into hiking and checking out old stuff, drive up to Dripping Springs Canyon in the Organ Mountains and check out the old hotel.  Fort Seldon (old Union fort) is 20 miles North of town.  Pretty cool to peruse thru the ruins and check out the museum.

If you have to venture into Mexico, don't go to Juarez.  I friend of mine went to Palomas (South of Deming) a couple of weeks ago and said it wasn't as bad as Juarez.  You have to have your passport, though.

Other than that, not much to do around there, that's why I don't live there anymore.

^^ This.  Except don't eat at La Posta.  Go in and look around but go around the corner to El Comedor to eat. Trust me.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 4:49:03 AM EDT
[#7]
If you don't mind a bit of a drive, Carlsbad Caverns would be worth going to also.  At least it would be a reprieve from the heat while down there!  
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 12:38:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^ This.  Except don't eat at La Posta.  Go in and look around but go around the corner to El Comedor to eat. Trust me.

Or heck, even Andeles, though La Posta has better ambiance than both.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:29:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
North to Socorro, west to Magdalena, there's the Very Large Array radiotelescope. This was the array Jodie Foster was playing with in the movie "Contact."

The Alamagordo Space Museum is a good visit, too.

ETA

If you have a chance to go to the Roswell Alien Museum,

try to miss the chance. Try hard. Clean your navel if you need something to do but try hard.

Carlsbad Caverns is a good visit. We missed out on 1/2 the day at CC because of the side trip to the Alien Museum.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the ideas so far. We have decided to make it a small getaway for the week and drive down, so that will give us some more sightseeing opportunities than just flying down for the weekend, plus we can ccw now since it looks like all the states we go through will honor the MN carry permit.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#11]
We certainly hope you enjoy  your stay!

One thing: Temperatures range from 105 in the days to mid-60s at night, depending on where you are. Be prepared for that.

And for GOD'S sake, drink plenty of water! It is VERY easy to become dehydrated in New Mexico.

I see that the mean elevation of Minnesota is 1200 feet; in New Mexico it's about 5700 feet, so the altitude difference is pretty significant. Be sure you take this into consideration! It's easy to overdo it, and the difference in altitude can do you in pretty quickly. Add heat and dehydration to that and you can get sick pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Bump to top for any more suggestions, or info.

Any non mexican restaurants that are worthwhile?

Will be leaving for there in just over 3 weeks and I want to make sure I have all the good spots to stop and see / avoid, eat etc., I  put  the suggestions above on a list already.

Thanks again!!

Kris
Link Posted: 9/2/2011 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#13]
The Golden Eagle in Old Mesilla is top notch for steaks and such.  I usually only have Mexican food when I'm down there.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 6:59:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Found this thread, my wife and I are in Las Cruces now till Monday.  We are going to go to White sands and she wants to try some native American food.  Any places y'll can recommend?

Thanks,

Chris and Rachel
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Found this thread, my wife and I are in Las Cruces now till Monday.  We are going to go to White sands and she wants to try some native American food.  Any places y'll can recommend?

Thanks,

Chris and Rachel

Native, as in??   Navajo Taco?  

Throw some green chili on it, and I consider it native.  Native to the lower Rio Grande valley.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We certainly hope you enjoy  your stay!

One thing: Temperatures range from 105 in the days to mid-60s at night, depending on where you are. Be prepared for that.

And for GOD'S sake, drink plenty of water! It is VERY easy to become dehydrated in New Mexico.

I see that the mean elevation of Minnesota is 1200 feet; in New Mexico it's about 5700 feet, so the altitude difference is pretty significant. Be sure you take this into consideration! It's easy to overdo it, and the difference in altitude can do you in pretty quickly. Add heat and dehydration to that and you can get sick pretty quickly.

No problems so far. I'm used to weather variances. Beautiful city so far. Went to white sands park and test range museum today. I got held up at check in to museum for a few extra minutes but was cleared. Sitting at ramada now enjoying some drinks, golf and old mesilla tomorrow. Then wedding stuff Friday might and Saturday afternoon. Was hoping for a place that rented some "happy switch" guns but don't thInk there's time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top