Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2005 12:42:20 PM EDT
I am thinking of buying some land in Eastern WA for a rifle range with permanent targets out to a thousand yards hopefully, any ideas on a good location or legalities with this. I want the land on the cheap 'cause i'm gonna need a lot of it so it will have to be flat scrub land with no real development possibilities. Suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:56:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Possibly somewhere in the basin, although that isn't the only place to find flat land.

A 1000' range would be killer.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Given the potential shit that could happen in this state regarding gun rights (if we don't fight like hell....) I suggest buying land in norhern Idaho.  Sure, it is a little further to go enjoy it, but it would probably be cheaper.  

Any chunk of land really useable for shooting in Eastern WA anywhere near the Cascades is going to be $$$$.  If you get out in the middle of nowhere, it will be cheaper, but probably just as long of a drive as northern Idaho.  Then you can get a mailing address for it and get some really fun toys!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Time to give HABU some shit....

A 1000 FOOT range?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:43:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Time to give HABU some shit....

A 1000 FOOT range?

Touche!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I was hoping to build my 1000 "foot" range somewhere near the gorge, maybe within 60 miles or so of Vantage, any further and I would not go as often. Anyone know how many acres it would take for a shooting pit of that size? Where is the "Basin" anyway?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Off topic, but we have a 1000 yrd range here in Spokane. Pretty sweet if you have anything that can shoot that far.

BRJ
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Ideally a strip of land that ends against a decent sized hill or mountain (to act as a backstop) that isn't going to be developed.  For a 1000 yard range, I would want at least another 500 to 1000 yards beyond the target.  That could be shortened depending on how close you can get to a natural backstop (the hill.)  So figure 1500 yards long, by 100 yards wide?  That is 150000 square yards, or 31 acres.  But good luck finding a piece of that shaped exactly like you want it.

This one looks pretty good, almost square though, so the range will be severly limited.  Probably 440 yards by 440 yards.  They are calling it "hunting acreage."
www.windermere.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Listing.ListingDetail&ListingID=4988637

No details on this one really, but it may work too:
www.windermere.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Listing.ListingDetail&ListingID=5426336

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you get out in the middle of nowhere, it will be cheaper, but probably just as long of a drive as northern Idaho.  Then you can get a mailing address for it and get some really fun toys!

There is a lot of land in North Idaho, but none of it is cheap. Lots of developers buying it up.

If you get into central Idaho, though, you could get a deal. Lots of cheap land. Look around Grangeville.

The Boomershoot really had to work to get 700 honest yards.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ideally a strip of land that ends against a decent sized hill or mountain (to act as a backstop) that isn't going to be developed.  For a 1000 yard range, I would want at least another 500 to 1000 yards beyond the target.  That could be shortened depending on how close you can get to a natural backstop (the hill.)  So figure 1500 yards long, by 100 yards wide?  That is 150000 square yards, or 31 acres.  But good luck finding a piece of that shaped exactly like you want it.

This one looks pretty good, almost square though, so the range will be severly limited.  Probably 440 yards by 440 yards.  They are calling it "hunting acreage."

Hey thanks, the one near Moses Lake does look good though maybe a little small @ 40 acres but 16-20 grand sounds like about what I was hoping to pay, I love that it says it has a view of sagebrush, classic. Ideally it would be about 500 by 1200 yards with a big hill at one end and nothing beyond it for miles. I don't know how many acres I just described but the shape is everything, rectangle is good almost any other shape would be a lot of unused space to pay for. If I get this I'm just gonna have to get the barrett m82a1 I've always wanted.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:58:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey thanks, the one near Moses Lake does look good though maybe a little small @ 40 acres but 16-20 grand sounds like about what I was hoping to pay, I love that it says it has a view of sagebrush, classic. Ideally it would be about 500 by 1200 yards with a big hill at one end and nothing beyond it for miles. I don't know how many acres I just described but the shape is everything, rectangle is good almost any other shape would be a lot of unused space to pay for. If I get this I'm just gonna have to get the barrett m82a1 I've always wanted.

Better hurry, Barrett was on 60 minutes tonight. Ignoramuses are gonna try and ban them further.

The Columbia Basin is the scrub land in Eastern Wa around the Coumbia River. If you can find a topo map of the state it will be evident. It's surrounded by mountains, generally speaking.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:17:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Fixed it for ya....

Quoted:
**Ideally a strip of land that ends against the capitol in Olympia.**  For a 1000 yard range, I would want at least another 500 to 1000 yards beyond the target.  That could be shortened depending on how close you can get to a natural backstop (the hill.)  So figure 1500 yards long, by 100 yards wide?  That is 150000 square yards, or 31 acres.  But good luck finding a piece of that shaped exactly like you want it.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#12]
People continue to prepare for a war that will never come as the real war rages on.

What this means is that both King and Snohomish county need ranges in order to well regulate the militia.
Plenty of land in both counties for training areas, this is what public land is for by the way, Not for a few snollygosters to get filthy rich off of.

"they" didnt steal from you with a pen, they stole it with armed men in uniform.

So lets get started, how about suggesting the best locations?

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Not sure exactly what you mean but I'm up for it, I think.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:25:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Not sure exactly what you mean but I'm up for it, I think.

Simple, the criminals impersonating public officials, overtly break the supreme law of the land, by passing and enforcing unconstitutional ordinances/codes/laws, the CAO in King county is a example of this.

When the first amendment no longer works to effect justice the second amendment can, so obviously the criminals will never give their blessings to the citizens peaceably assembling to drill on the public green in order to well regulate the militia, (lest they be brought to justice) but if a large group of armed men follow the law and assemble and train in the use of arms they is nothing the criminals can do about it.

When a group of lawful citizens train with live fire, i have never known any badged bandits to interfere.

So public training areas need to be established on public lands for the purpose of training the militia, militia training is lawful.

There are more of us patriotic lawful citizens then there are criminal officials and their badged bandits that do their dirty business.

The officials sworn to uphold the law are the ones violating it, it is then the reponsibility of the citizens to restore order and justice/ the rule of just law.

I built a range on my five acres here but the backstop is only 12 feet high to fire has to be aimed and new shooters are started out at very close distances which makes it difficult for public musters of the people, the eastern areas do have good places for ranges but they are too inconvenient for the average person to travel to in order to train regularly and they are also outside the county which gets into jurisdictional questions in law.

Time for the lions to quit bleeting and proinking off with the rest of the sheep.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:51:33 PM EDT
[#15]
South Center Mall parking lot?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top