Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/8/2005 2:18:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2005 5:26:44 PM EDT by Knight_Shadow]
Ch 13 reporting last Saturday night a La Porte officer responding to a call stop at the wrong house and shot and killed the homeowner’s germen shepard "Duke". The 14 yr old boy says the dog was running from the officer when he was shot. The officer says the dog was running at him. I do not know where the dog was hit.

Police investigation launched after family dog is shot to death

By Miya Shay
ABC13 Eyewitness News
(8/08/05 - LA PORTE, TX) — A young boy is without his best friend after the family's German Shepherd was shot and killed by police. An investigation is underway into what led up to this tragedy.

The family, neighbors, and friends are all devastated. They don't understand how a mistaken address could lead a La Porte police officer to shoot the family dog. Now an internal affairs investigation is underway and a lot of kids are traumatized.

"There's never going to be a dog like him again," mourned Dillon McJunkin, Duke's owner.

Dillon has shed a lot of tears in the last two days. The 14-year-old saw his beloved German Shepherd Duke shot dead in his front yard on Saturday night. It all began when a neighbor called police for an unrelated matter. But one police car stopped in front of the McJunkin's home.

Dillon recalled, "The cop stopped there, and Duke looked at him, and then ran to my mom. And (the officer) shot him twice."

Kay McJunkin, Dillon's mother, explained, "He asked what the address was, and when I told him, he realized he was at the wrong place. And he said he felt threatened by the dog and that I should have had an address posted on my house, and this would have never happened if he knew he was at the wrong address."

The police report tells a different story, saying the dog was actually going toward the officer when the dog was shot. That's why the police department has ordered a full investigation.

"We'll send an investigator out to investigate the whole matter," promised La Porte Police Chief Richard Reff. "It's a use of force issue. Any time we discharge a weapon, whether it's defending yourself against a dog or anything else, it requires a use of force investigation."

Dillon is understandably angry.

"That cop, I hate him, I just hate him," he vented to Eyewitness News.

But no matter what the outcome of the investigation, Duke is gone and his loss is devastating for every child in the neighborhood.

Neighbor Lee Simpson said, "It hurts. I never thought anything like this would happen."

"(Duke) used to always shake hands and do high fives, and he was always cute," recalled family member Kylee Windhan.

If the officer is found to have used excessive force he could face some sort of disciplinary action.

Meanwhile, Duke's family is preparing a memorial for its beloved pet this Saturday and a lot of kids in the neighborhood plan to be there.
(Copyright © 2005, KTRK-TV)

video report and pics from story can be found
abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/080805_local_dogshot.html

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:39:36 PM EDT
Mother of God...........its started again....................................

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:21:25 PM EDT
It always amazes me how the post office/ups/fedex/etc can deliver mail/packages without arming all of its carriers to protect them from all these dangerous dogs that roam the neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:32:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RenegadeX:
It always amazes me how the post office/ups/fedex/etc can deliver mail/packages without arming all of its carriers to protect them from all these dangerous dogs that roam the neighborhoods.

+1
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:25:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Sparsky:

Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:13:02 AM EDT
This should surprise no one if you have ever delt with the fuzz in La Porte.

They are the ones who cannot get on with Pasadena or So. Houston.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:44:34 PM EDT
La Porte = White Industrial Trash
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:27:15 PM EDT
+1.....Sounds like an extremly large case of Industrial
grade DUMB ASS. It's a wounder the mom and kid didn't get zapped.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:25:12 PM EDT
All I can say, since I used to live there, and still work there, is, it doesn't suprise me. The number one priority of the city is to grow the city government larger. The caliber of people hired by the city is pretty low, and supervision is non-existent. The city owns more equipment than Brown and Root. Just a personal observation. The only thing seperating them from hillbillies is Laporte doesn't have any hills.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:59:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 3GSHOOTER:
+1.....Sounds like an extremly large case of Industrial
grade DUMB ASS. It's a wounder the mom and kid didn't get zapped.

Fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:05:34 AM EDT
heard it on the radio that they determined the dog was running away from the officer, the bullit tracts support it, cop lied
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:18:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MuRDoC:
heard it on the radio that they determined the dog was running away from the officer, the bullit tracts support it, cop lied

if this is true that cop will be looking for a new job! really sucks that a few morons make it harder for the rest of the cops. most of the cops i know just want to do the job and go home at shift change.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:24:29 PM EDT
Knight_Shadow...thanks for the kind words, but I'm the first to admit there are a few goobers among us.....sadly.
Top Top