Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2007 5:48:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/29/2007 5:51:07 PM EDT by RallySoob]
I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. I got the lwrc rail and a dpms multi-wrench in the mail. I already got a punch kit but haven't done anything more than a miad install. Should I attempt it myself or play it safe and take it to a local gun shop?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:56:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RallySoob:
I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. I got the lwrc rail and a dpms multi-wrench in the mail. I already got a punch kit but haven't done anything more than a miad install. Should I attempt it myself or play it safe and take it to a local gun shop?

I did mine myself
go for it, it's really not that hard.
and if you hit a wall, there are plenty of people here to help.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:17:22 PM EDT
get the correct tools and youll never need a smith. DIY fa sho!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:31:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/29/2007 6:31:31 PM EDT by RallySoob]

Originally Posted By BurntPocketHole:

what else might I need? know of any good referances before I get started? No Instructions included...
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:40:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/29/2007 6:40:55 PM EDT by BurntPocketHole]
A receiver block and vice. I dont know what specific rail you have, or your current setup. If you have standard handguards youll definetly need the block to remove handguards and barrel assembly. its all really simple once you start at it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:52:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/29/2007 6:54:49 PM EDT by jrucker2004]
there is a very good tutorial in the build it yourself forum:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

about 1/4 of the way down they do two three different types of free float handguards.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:40:08 PM EDT
If you have a surplus or local EBR friendly gun shop in you're area, chances are they have a military M16 manual. I picked up the Army/Airforce Armorers manual. Shows full disassembly and assembly, versus field repairs.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:11:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/29/2007 8:14:10 PM EDT by BurntPocketHole]

Originally Posted By philoparts:
If you have a surplus or local EBR friendly gun shop in you're area, chances are they have a military M16 manual. I picked up the Army/Airforce Armorers manual. Shows full disassembly and assembly, versus field repairs.

theres one on PDF on this site as well. Ill find it for you.

I printed off all bazillion pages of it at work one day. It took forever and probibly 2/3 of a ream.

ETA: Rally soob, heres tons of AR manuals for future reference.

ar15.com/content/#manuals
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:20:08 AM EDT
just what I was lookin for. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:30:50 AM EDT
So i got the Multi-wrench and my LWRC rail today. I don't have access to a vice and I don't have the vice-block deal either. So I think I'll just have to have it done...
Know of any local shops that would be good for doing this kind of job? I was going to take it to GunCrafters but he has a 2week wait and that won't work.
I'm in Salem
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:28:42 PM EDT
I would just buy a cheap bench vise and an action block. Probably wont cost you more than 50-60 for both and the gun shop will be at least that much.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:31:50 PM EDT
or just ask nicely, there might be someone around Salem who would let you borrow their's in return for a box of ammo.
that's what I did
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:20:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BurntPocketHole:

Except for FSB removal!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:59:02 AM EDT
so am I going to have a hard time removing the FSB pins?
seems I have to get a standard barrell nut for this rail too. This is gonna be a huge pain in the ars...
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:40:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/4/2007 2:40:27 PM EDT by BurntPocketHole]
I havent had a problem removing the FSB, but ive only done a couple of them.
It surely wont be harder than removing an AK barrel

You have a standard barrel nut on your barrel already if you just have a standard setup with the plastic handguards. You will see it when you start disassembly, or look at the diagrams in the manuals. get the tools, youll want them eventually down the line. Its nice to get that cool part in the mail and slap in on your gun within a matter of minutes.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:52:03 PM EDT
yeah, I have a YHM quadrail on there now with a special locking collar that requires a tool made by YHM which I just bought. It has a huge barrell nut that won't fit my Free Float style LWRC Rail. I think I have about 200 bux in to tools and parts for this job now. I ordered an extra set of front sight block pins too, just in case. Better work out

I'll probably be posting some pix when I run into trouble, which will be soon. I ordered a Vltor Mur-1 upper reciever too so I think I'll just wait for it to show up before I start this job. I will be getting a new R4 lightweight barrell late december and I'm gonna have to do it all over again then... But I can almost build a 2nd gun now
Top Top