Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2003 5:47:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:13:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Sweet! Now can somebody help me out here on legislative procedure here? I noticed that the website you linked to stated that we were one step away from sending it to the governor. What else has to happen to before it goes to his desk?

And if he vetos it, does it go back to the senate or the house? Either way, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong here, but it looks like we will have the necessary two thirds in both the hosue and senate to over-ride a veto. Right?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 9:32:59 AM EDT
[#2]
That's the word.

Politically the Governors' best option is to do nothing, and let the bill "quietly" pass into law...
If he vetos it he loses voters; if he signs it he loses voters...

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sweet! Now can somebody help me out here on legislative procedure here? I noticed that the website you linked to stated that we were one step away from sending it to the governor. What else has to happen to before it goes to his desk?

If it was changed any by the Senate or a sub-committee thereof than it must go back to the House to be approved in its ammended/altered form. Hopefully
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I so hope it makes it through this time. I really believe the St. Louis vote fraud machine cost us Prop B. in 1999. Does anyone know when this will come into effect if it passes?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:29:23 PM EDT
[#5]
The bill is on Bob's desk now.............

I bet he don't sign it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That's the word.

Politically the Governors' best option is to do nothing, and let the bill "quietly" pass into law...

hr

I'd guess he isn't counting on loseing many votes by a veto. Those of us for LTC will not vote for his keeping his word (veto). And if he signs, then he is a liar and we still won't vote for him!  Plus the majority of KC/STL/Columbia voters who struck down prop. B  his if he doesn't save them from themselves.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That's the word.

I'd guess he isn't counting on loseing many votes by a veto. Those of us for LTC will not vote for his keeping his word (veto). And if he signs, then he is a liar and we still won't vote for him!  Plus the majority of KC/STL/Columbia voters who struck down prop. B   and are his life blood might leave Gov. Holden high n' dry if he doesn't save them from themselves.

I believe attitudes have changed after 9/11.  Many people who voted against Prop B back then, might be for it today...
The laws of self preservation motivate many today...
I think the dynamics have changed, therefore the Governor will lose more net votes with a veto, than he would if he signs it...

Gov. Holden has "threatened" to veto.  He's a politician.   What he "does" might depend more on what the polls say.  He's a Democrat, so he will do what is expedient for his political future, I mean bacon.
If we have the votes to over-ride a veto, then what does it profit him to veto the bill???

Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:20:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I so hope it makes it through this time. I really believe the St. Louis vote fraud machine cost us Prop B. in 1999. Does anyone know when this will come into effect if it passes?

From what I heard on the local news last night they will start taking applications July 1 2004. Not sure if that is accurate or not though. We've got some real dumbass reporters down here.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I trust we all have been sending our letter to Gov Holden?

sigh...

I hope this goes through...

Link Posted: 5/6/2003 3:15:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Late news heard on KMOX this afternoon.
There are more than enough votes in the house to override a veto.
In the senate there is not. It seems one ot the 23 yes votes was from one of the antis, it seems he (she?) knew it would pass but wanted another chance to mess with it. Apparently if you vote on the winning side you can later make a motion to modify the bill. The sheep-in-wolfs clothing only voted yes to put them in position to do this.
That makes it only 23 votes, one short.
If I find out any more later I will update.

BTW, I am not a politico and I am only posting as to what I can remember, I am sure the real terms are quite a bit different than my paraphrasing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top