Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 9:10:32 AM EDT
What is the legality of shooting unarmed in truder in GA according to a state law?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Not addressed, not advisable.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:26:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Its all covered under Georgia Code 16-3-23. The short answer is no but if you read the code section there are exceptions.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe one caveat is lethal force. If the burgergaler could kill you with his bare hands and you are in fear of you life and cannot flee fire away. ie. 90 year old granny with a shotty in her bedroom on the second floor and mike tyson attacking her with the intention of killing her and telling her so.

Simple! Well, this really applies in Alabama where I took that handgun safety class.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Doc, you need to borrow a shovel?  

Nah, turns out he did  have a knife in his hand. (damn, is this guy right handed or left handed? I will go with right hand)

I might have better excuse since I have 2 years old infant and 6 month pregnant woman in a house.

I guess it all depends on situation, and whether deadly force is justified.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#6]
2 words:   "drop piece"
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#7]
It all comes down to if the safety of you or your family is at stake. The 90yo women with a shotgun in the room is definetely justified. If you read the code section (its really not that long) it covers that. Deadly Force is more justifiable for your Home Invasion scenario vs. the cat burglar sneaking around. The way I look at it is that I would say that deadly force is certainly justifiable if you have someone in your home and he has a screwdriver or crowbar (he had to get in the house somehow and most home invaders arent very adept at lock picking). With that in mind, he is definetely armed and constitutes a threat. Order him to freeze and get on the floor if he does anything other than get on the floor or run away, I think its justifiable. Just remember shooting somebody in the back if they try to flee is a definete no-no and most likely will get you a date with the District Attorney and a Superior Court Judge.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 11:06:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just remember shooting somebody in the back if they try to flee is a definete no-no and most likely will get you a date with the District Attorney and a Superior Court Judge.

That's too bad.
If they are stupid enough to be in my home uninvited, then they deserve to get shot & die.
It's not fair that they get to break in and run away when they see me aiming at them.
They didn't learn anything, pain is the only lesson human animals understand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top