Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2003 9:47:05 AM EDT
Alright, so seeing my girlfriend again has drummed up thoughts of following her to LA, but I wanted to make sure I can bring my babies out there and still shoot them.  So besides the legalities of my guns, are there ranges out there where I can shoot 100/200 yards or so?

If you live in the LA area, let me know, I'm curious to see if you have an active Arfcom chapter out there!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I live in the Riverside area 40 miles out of downtown and find plenty of places to shoot.

Unlike many states there is plenty of BLM property here which means your shooting range is limited only by your ability to walk back and forth to check on the targets. My favorite area allows me to make shots out beyond 600 yards.

There are several pay ranges closer to the city but I'd rather drive an hour and shoot in a more casual way.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:21:41 PM EDT
[#2]
angeles ranges out to 800

piru(if not burned)

san gabriel valley gun club aka fish canyon out to 200(300 for memebers)

Lytle creek firing line out to 300(proposed 600)

West End gun club out to 600 for members, dunno about non members, it is open to the public on weekends, but only one part of it.

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool!  I just wanted to make sure that there's some fun stuff to do out there beside the GF!

Now how often do you guys meet up?
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Only outdoor range i've gone to is Angeles..
never had a bad experience..
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
angeles ranges out to 800

Ditto..
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out the Angeles Ranges Website. I usually head out there once a week, and it's a good place to shoot; lots of room, but gets a little crowded on the weekends.

Get a hold of any of us in So.Cal, and we'll meet you at the range.

Oh yeah the San Gabriel range is alright; it only goes out to 200 yds..

Good luck! (especially if you plan to bring an AR ito CA!)
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 10:37:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Almost forgot...check out the forums over at Calguns.net as well.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:00:42 PM EDT
[#8]
But wouldn't your AR's be banned since they are from out of state and not registered with the state?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:07:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
But wouldn't your AR's be banned since they are from out of state and not registered with the state?

It would appear that way.  Fortunately, her sister lives in LV, where most of my fun guns will reside.

You guys still haven't answered my question as far as how often you all get together for shoots or whatnot.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would appear that way.  Fortunately, her sister lives in LV, where most of my fun guns will reside.

You guys still haven't answered my question as far as how often you all get together for shoots or whatnot.

When LT was living out here, there was meets/shoots and stuff every now and then.Hell, Imbroglio was even spotted at a few.

I just go out to the desert to shoot.Casual and relaxed enviroment like Paul said.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#11]
www.webshooters.org, a conglomerate of people from here, aknet, falfiles, glocktalk, and a few others.

we do a big so cali shoot/bbq/comp 1-2 times a year.

me myself, i try and go atleast once a month with all my buddies.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:25:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Went to the desert yesterday w/ the wife and kids and a few relatives. At 3:00pm it was 51 degrees. COLD!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:31:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Hang out with these nerds? Why would I want to do that? Just kidding. Check out the webshooters site. We find ways to have fun in Ca.
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 10:40:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Head out to the desert.  Lytle Creek is on the way but I seem to want to get out and do things at my pace and range.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Head out to the desert.  Lytle Creek is on the way but I seem to want to get out and do things at my pace and range.

Exactly. Ranges remind me of work.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Since the weapons are in Vegas, come and shoot with us 3rd Saturday of each month.

30-80 people are the norm, hope to see you!

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Where do you shoot in the desert? I live in Woodland Hills and would love to get out of the valley and do some long range shooting.

CW
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:38:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I go out past Barstow and combine shooting and trainwatching and sometimes the wife and youngest do some "that's a neat one" rock collecting.  Woodland Hills, hmmm, I wonder if you can still go out to BLM land past Mojave, did that a few times in younger days.  Maybe a few places on the north side of 138 on either side of I-5, Barstow is a long way for you.  Hell it isn't that short for me either.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:06:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I go out past Barstow and combine shooting and trainwatching and sometimes the wife and youngest do some "that's a neat one" rock collecting.  Woodland Hills, hmmm, I wonder if you can still go out to BLM land past Mojave, did that a few times in younger days.  Maybe a few places on the north side of 138 on either side of I-5, Barstow is a long way for you.  Hell it isn't that short for me either.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

CW
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 1:00:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Yea, still plenty of places to shoot long guns. Most have been listed already. www.webshooters.org/ws_socal_shooting_ranges.htm

After you get bored with the ranges, I like to go to the desert for some real fun.

Haven't had a single issue with any of my registered 'AW' at any of the ranges, BLM & US Forestry authorized shooting places. We bring out the black rifles, belt feds, and .50 cals without any problems. The Rangers & ROs only concerns are that everyone shoots safely, watches out for fire dangers, and keeps the place clean.

Still have a very large shooting population out here in SOCAL. Never have a problem finding guys/gals to go out for some shooting. All it takes is an email or simple post on the boards to get some friendly folks out to join ya.

I think our group have more organized shoots than any other group on the boards. Our group usually has a weekend (2-3 day) shoot every other month, mixed in between with some of the professional training classes, weekend matches (IPSC, 3-gun matches, Steel Madness, GSSF, XD Challenge, etc...), and 1 or 2 large public get togethers (last one was about 80 shooters).
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#21]
FYI-Don't bring any steel-cored or steel jacketed ammo, when the bullet hits rocks etc, they spark and cause fires. Fish & Angeles Ranges check people for those type of ammo. It is wise to heed the warning as if they can find you, the govt will bill you for the cost of fighting a fire.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
FYI-Don't bring any steel-cored or steel jacketed ammo, when the bullet hits rocks etc, they spark and cause fires. Fish & Angeles Ranges check people for those type of ammo. It is wise to heed the warning as if they can find you, the govt will bill you for the cost of fighting a fire.

Fortunately that ammo is few and far between.  Looks like you guys are having some fun out there.  Maybe when I come out to CA next, I'll pack my M1a and get together with you guys.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:17:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Your group sounds like fun wish we had the wide open spaces here in VA.  Also how tough was it to get your "AW" permit?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#24]
The hard part was finding the forms.  For most guys the hard part was deciding if they wanted to register.  My jobs generally require a clearance and I was still in the Reserves.  Decided the ramifications of having a problem wasn't worth it.

The impression I have is 80-90% didn't register.

Once you found the forms, you filled it out, supplied a thumbprint and sent in $20 bucks and then you sweated for a few months waiting to get your registration back, the natural assumption is that almost everybody else did what you did and waited till the lasst week to do it and the bureaucracy has been fatally swamped.

Unless you were illegal to own you got the paaperwork back in about 3 months.

But if you missed the deadline you are/were screwed if you get caught with it.

At least for the time being no more permits for the normal person.  We can only hope that a Federal 2nd Amendment decision comes along in our favor.

But it was relatively painless.  No decisions on anybody's part.  They copied the numbers into the system generated a letter back.

The hard part was putting the GI stock back on the M1 carbine.  At least I could find it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top