Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2016 3:44:54 PM EDT
Thunder Over Louisville is one of the best opportunities to get out among the people with all of your finery. Thunder is the "kickoff" for the entire "Ky. Derby Festival". Those that regularly carry a gun for self defense have a good reason to do so in downtown Louisville during the Ky. Derby Festival. Thunder starts in 8 days, Saturday April 23. As usual it will be at the Louisville Waterfront. The following Saturday, April 30, there will be the Marathon and Mini-marathon. There will also be the Balloon Glow, Balloon Glimmer, the Balloon Race, the Steamboat Race and the Pegasus Parade, all on public property where guns can not be prohibited. Enjoy yourself.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Thunder Over Louisville is one of the best opportunities to get out among the people with all of your finery. Thunder is the "kickoff" for the entire "Ky. Derby Festival". Those that regularly carry a gun for self defense have a good reason to do so in downtown Louisville during the Ky. Derby Festival. Thunder starts in 8 days, Saturday April 23. As usual it will be at the Louisville Waterfront. The following Saturday, April 30, there will be the Marathon and Mini-marathon. There will also be the Balloon Glow, Balloon Glimmer, the Balloon Race, the Steamboat Race and the Pegasus Parade, all on public property where guns can not be prohibited. Enjoy yourself.
View Quote

Great reminder and thanks for all you do for the 2A.

I got tickets for the Belvedere for Thunder and will be carrying with atleast one extra mag.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't wait to see the outcome of the Pegasus Parade this year, what with all the butt hurt feelings up there in the city/state of Louisville............................. abH.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can't wait to see the outcome of the Pegasus Parade this year, what with all the butt hurt feelings up there in the city/state of Louisville............................. abH.
View Quote

Sorry, I don't understand. What's so different about this year? What is going to happen at the Pegasus Parade?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I was referring to the threats made by West End dance teams that are not being allowed in the Parade this year. My personnel feelings on all of the Derby festivities are that the Kentucky Derby only proves that there are infinitely more horses asses in the world than there are horses............................................................. abH.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was referring to the threats made by West End dance teams that are not being allowed in the Parade this year. My personnel feelings on all of the Derby festivities are that the Kentucky Derby only proves that there are infinitely more horses asses in the world than there are horses............................................................. abH.
View Quote

OK, I had forgotten about that potential problem. Yes, I agree about the horses and horses' hind parts. This is one reason that you won't see me at Thunder, for the 27th year in a row. I might make the parade, just so I can open carry and stick my finger in the eye of Metro government. They just hate the fact that they can't do anything about it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been avoiding the whole show for about 60 years. Mother and Dad took us as part of the grandeur. Be careful with Fisher and Conrad. There hate for guns is too apparent to laugh at................................... abH.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#7]
It has been a few years since I went. The last time I did it was on the other side, is the Indiana side posted?

Some info from 2014: http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2014/04/10/firearms-banned-indiana-side-thunder/7544301/
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It has been a few years since I went. The last time I did it was on the other side, is the Indiana side posted?

Some info from 2014: http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2014/04/10/firearms-banned-indiana-side-thunder/7544301/
View Quote

That was all settled two years ago. Indiana law on the subject of guns is similar to Ky. law. Local governments can't ban guns. They went from demanding that you not carry to begging that you please don't. Both concealed carry and open carry are legal in Ky., Ohio and Indiana. The one catch is that you must have a license to open carry in Indiana. Ohio and Ky. require no license to open carry.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Should be a great time with awesomd weather.

Traffic getting out is always bad though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Softpoint, how does the it work for public places, like the Belvidere and a private business only party. Can they still ban guns? I believe no as its still public land but want to be sure.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Softpoint, how does the it work for public places, like the Belvidere and a private business only party. Can they still ban guns? I believe no as its still public land but want to be sure.
View Quote

This is exactly the situation that I just got clarified at the Yum Center. The Yum Center and the Belvedere are public property and the owners are "the people of the Commonwealth of Ky."  The "operators" are the Louisville Metro government and The Louisville Arena Authority. Those two government bodies can not ban firearms, by state law. KRS 65.870. There is no law that says that guns can't be banned on public property. There is strict control of who can actually do that banning. In most cases it is only the General Assembly, but that can often be passed on to a lessee. IF the property is leased to a private business operation for their exclusive use, that business operation may use the property as if it were their own. If you leased property, I am sure you would want the same thing. So, if a event is held on the Belvedere, where the general public is invited to openly attend, the city can not ban firearms. If you and I lease the Belvedere for a private party and no one is allowed there except the people we invite or sell tickets to, we can ban pretty much anything we want, including guns. The Yum Center and Louisville Metro can not demand that we ban guns at our event or make it a part of the lease. My wife and I went to a Willie Nelson concert at Waterfront Park a couple of years ago. The Park had been leased by a concert promoter and that promoter banned guns during the time that he had exclusive use of the park. Louisville Metro had no part in that gun ban. Just be aware that K-12 schools and colleges and universities are a separate deal. They have their own authority by state law and their gun bans travel with them, any place they go. So, if it is a school function or a college function, guns will automatically be banned. So, if a high school girls field hockey team plays a game or practices at a public park, you could not carry a gun into that portion of the park during the time the game was being held. If a bunch of girls just decide to play field hockey in a park and a school has nothing to do with it, you could.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is exactly the situation that I just got clarified at the Yum Center. The Yum Center and the Belvedere are public property and the owners are "the people of the Commonwealth of Ky."  The "operators" are the Louisville Metro government and The Louisville Arena Authority. Those two government bodies can not ban firearms, by state law. KRS 65.870. There is no law that says that guns can't be banned on public property. There is strict control of who can actually do that banning. In most cases it is only the General Assembly, but that can often be passed on to a lessee. IF the property is leased to a private business operation for their exclusive use, that business operation may use the property as if it were their own. If you leased property, I am sure you would want the same thing. So, if a event is held on the Belvedere, where the general public is invited to openly attend, the city can not ban firearms. If you and I lease the Belvedere for a private party and no one is allowed there except the people we invite or sell tickets to, we can ban pretty much anything we want, including guns. The Yum Center and Louisville Metro can not demand that we ban guns at our event or make it a part of the lease. My wife and I went to a Willie Nelson concert at Waterfront Park a couple of years ago. The Park had been leased by a concert promoter and that promoter banned guns during the time that he had exclusive use of the park. Louisville Metro had no part in that gun ban. Just be aware that K-12 schools and colleges and universities are a separate deal. They have their own authority by state law and their gun bans travel with them, any place they go. So, if it is a school function or a college function, guns will automatically be banned. So, if a high school girls field hockey team plays a game or practices at a public park, you could not carry a gun into that portion of the park during the time the game was being held. If a bunch of girls just decide to play field hockey in a park and a school has nothing to do with it, you could.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks again softpoint. Will have them clarify if they are leasing it or not if they try to ban them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top