Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2016 1:12:21 PM EDT
The content of the article appears to be more comprehensive than you might expect:

The idea is a modified version of a recent move by Seattle to tax sales of guns and ammunition to offset the costs of gun violence.

That won't work in Florida, Kovilaritch said. State law explicitly prohibits local governments from imposing special taxes on firearms.
View Quote

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/st-petersburg-attorney-floats-fees-on-gun-ammo-sales-to-help-curb-gun/2259653

But assessing a fee on guns or ammo tied to a service might work, she said. The fee would have to be legitimate, perhaps funding gun education or some sort of research and prevention programs, she said.
View Quote

How progressive. Let's tax first and then figure out how to spend the money.

Also, while I appreciate Nurse's support for Albert Whitted, I have to wonder if he had his name dragged into this or if he's pushing for it.

City Attorney Jackie Kovilaritch provided limited details on what she has been researching on behalf of council member Karl Nurse.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Some thoughts:

1) Self correcting problem
2) When there are spikes of DUIs, are there suggestions on increasing taxes on alcohol and vehicle sales?
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I would think Florida pre emption laws would prohibit a gun tax, no?
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 3:59:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Kriseman is installing Obama phone solar powered charging station in the city's parks too.
This "A"hole is a pure communist.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry but St. Petersburg needs to move back north.

Well, maybe N. FT Myers also.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#5]
i believe i have an actual solution that would solve the senseless deaths of the yutes this guy is screaming for. would you like to hear it?

ban gang membership, outlaw the underground trade of dope. if only these two activities were outlawed the majority of these "victims" would not be dead. there it is fellows, i just single handedly saved most of these chirren.

edit to add - you're welcome.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i believe i have an actual solution that would solve the senseless deaths of the yutes this guy is screaming for. would you like to hear it?

ban gang membership, outlaw the underground trade of dope. if only these two activities were outlawed the majority of these "victims" would not be dead. there it is fellows, i just single handedly saved most of these chirren.

edit to add - you're welcome.
View Quote

Might I add we should ban murdering people, period, regardless of what weapon you use. Once we make it illegal to kill people the weapon used will be irrelevant.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 5:27:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The content of the article appears to be more comprehensive than you might expect:

The idea is a modified version of a recent move by Seattle to tax sales of guns and ammunition to offset the costs of gun violence.

That won't work in Florida, Kovilaritch said. State law explicitly prohibits local governments from imposing special taxes on firearms.
View Quote

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/st-petersburg-attorney-floats-fees-on-gun-ammo-sales-to-help-curb-gun/2259653

But assessing a fee on guns or ammo tied to a service might work, she said. The fee would have to be legitimate, perhaps funding gun education or some sort of research and prevention programs, she said.
View Quote

How progressive. Let's tax first and then figure out how to spend the money.

Also, while I appreciate Nurse's support for Albert Whitted, I have to wonder if he had his name dragged into this or if he's pushing for it.

City Attorney Jackie Kovilaritch provided limited details on what she has been researching on behalf of council member Karl Nurse.
View Quote

View Quote

When they discover that they will have to pay a penalty out of their own pockets the posturing will stop.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry but St. Petersburg needs to move back north.

Well, maybe N. FT Myers also.
View Quote

As a native of generations here, I think there should be a Tax on every Northerner that comes to Our state with the liberal ideas that are destroying the states they came from, if we do not do something fast, we will be in for a serious battle in the future. It is time for all of native Floridians to write all the Florida legislators And especially Rick Scott and demand the early 1980s tax of 500.00 per car Besides the registration fee to all new people entering the state to live, be re instated , and also tax them at the same Rate as the state they left. We do NOT need any more or these Northerners destroying the great conservative way of life that afforded us a great way of life, and liberty, for hundreds of years here in Florida, so that we may protect the Sovereignty of the State of Florida.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top