Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 9:18:46 PM EDT
How far is the big gong at Koko Head rifle range (the farthest setup with the little one hanging next to it)?  I heard two different answers today - 460 and 440 yards...  Just curious because I was having a blast ringing that thing with my bushy carbine/2x compact ACOG and some Q3131.  Took me a mag or two initially to dial in the kentucky windage, but the same holdover was good to go after that.  Fun day, very busy there though.  Is there ever a slow day there during the week?  I also found out the penalty for staying until close is fighting the traffic headed back towards Schofield...

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:23:54 PM EDT
[#1]
It is 440-450 from what I was told.  I dont shoot at anything else after discovering the gong, that shit is fun.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:25:10 PM EDT
[#2]
BTW, they open this weekend?  Im going shooting tomorrow if theyre open, gonna kill the gong if anyone is up to making music.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#3]
nf9648,
   I did not happen to notice if they are going to be open this weekend - FWIW, I did not see any temp signs up on around the firing line.  I checked their website and it did state this:  The Koko Head Shooting Complex is CLOSED on January 1, New Year's Day so it looks like it will be open tomorrow and Monday.  Wish I could join you tomorrow, but I have to pay the Frau back and let her have a day to herself - too bad my kids aren't older...  

Edited to add that I read further down on their website and it says they are closed Mondays and Tuesdays...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:15:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
nf9648,
   I did not happen to notice if they are going to be open this weekend - FWIW, I did not see any temp signs up on around the firing line.  I checked their website and it did state this:  The Koko Head Shooting Complex is CLOSED on January 1, New Year's Day so it looks like it will be open tomorrow and Monday.  Wish I could join you tomorrow, but I have to pay the Frau back and let her have a day to herself - too bad my kids aren't older...  

Edited to add that I read further down on their website and it says they are closed Mondays and Tuesdays...

Ill be sure to let you know how she sings tomorrow when Im tossing 168 gr. commie killers at her.  I can just imagine what i could do to that thing with a .338 Lapua and some strong ammo...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:00:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Ill be sure to let you know how she sings tomorrow when Im tossing 168 gr. commie killers at her.  I can just imagine what i could do to that thing with a .338 Lapua and some strong ammo...

LOL - I bet it would be much louder than my wimpy sounding hits with 5.56...  I need to get a .308 bolt gun someday...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:56:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I like shooting the PIG @ ??? yards, but I have some difficulty (I suck)..
Never noticed a gong out there. You folks gotta point it out to me someday.

I usaully stay after closing and pick up brass, hang around before going into Hawaii Kai , Ala, then going Ewa side.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:57:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I usaully stay after closing and pick up brass, hang around before going into Hawaii Kai , Ala, then going Ewa side.

I would guess the pig is +/- 250 yards or so - about the same distance as the deer.  I say that because I did not use any holdover for either.  I use zeroed with the IBZ at 50 yards which also has the smae trajectory at about 250 yards...  Next time you go, the large gong is up higher on the side of the mountain in a little cut...  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would guess the pig is +/- 250 yards or so - about the same distance as the deer.  I say that because I did not use any holdover for either.  I use zeroed with the IBZ at 50 yards which also has the smae trajectory at about 250 yards...  Next time you go, the large gong is up higher on the side of the mountain in a little cut...  

Ive never shot at the pig or deer, they look rusted out and I didnt think Id get much noise off of them.  I may shoot them today too.  Leaving in a half hour.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#9]
One of the range regulars will sometimes go out to the metal targets early Sunday morning and spray paint the targets white with a red outline.  I don't even take my target frame out there anymore.  The centerfire rifles get used on the distant gongs and my .22s get used at the shillouete side.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Lets add some pic's

One of my little ones -

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#11]
20rdmag,
  Cool pics.   You can just barely make out the little gong next to the big one - that is my quest next time.  I'd like to be able to hit that with my carbine every time, but I'll have to figure out the holdover/windage for it first.  

BTW, good looking kid, but where can I get a set of those funky contacts?  They are either yellow or orange depending on whether your kid is looking at you or not...      
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:31:42 AM EDT
[#12]
you've gotta be on the right side of the range to see the gong.  if you are too far left, many of the metal targets are not able to be seen due to the hills, grass, ravine.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:43:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
One of the range regulars will sometimes go out to the metal targets early Sunday morning and spray paint the targets white with a red outline.  I don't even take my target frame out there anymore.  The centerfire rifles get used on the distant gongs and my .22s get used at the shillouete side.  

Me neither, target frame is only in the trunk because Im too lazy to pull it out at the house.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top