Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/28/2005 5:29:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2005 5:31:35 AM EDT by chainshaw]
After raking over the Georgia weapons laws, it seems that if you carry your knife with a 2" or longer blade in an exposed (pocket clip?) manner, you are legal. Is it legal to carry conealed if you have a firearms permit?

I have a recent aquisition and I want to know what the legality of carrying it is.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:03:07 PM EDT
As far as I know, a firearms carry permit is just that. "For Firearms" only and has nothing to do with knives.

MadDog
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:34:09 PM EDT
Hell, do you think I'm supposed to know the law or something???? Really I don't know. I have bigger fish to fry than worrying about how somebody is carrying a knife. I'll find out. Let me go get my book.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:47:54 PM EDT
Just scanning over GAcode, it looks like the state considers a knife with a blade over 2" a weapon. So I guess if it's over 2" it must be carried in the open in a sheath or clipped to your pocket. There's not much in GA code regarding knives that I could find.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:59:30 PM EDT
By "clipped", the body of the knife can be in the pocket, but the clip has to show? Stupid laws.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:00:48 PM EDT
This Ga law is very vague. That being said I've never heard of a illegal knife arrest in my 22 years. But, I say but by adding that if you take an automatic (which are legal to own, not carry) into the local court house for jury duty, it might be the first.

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:13:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By P806:
This Ga law is very vague. That being said I've never heard of a illegal knife arrest in my 22 years. But, I say but by adding that if you take an automatic (which are legal to own, not carry) into the local court house for jury duty, it might be the first.

Interesting. So, automatics are legal to own, but illegal to carry. I have not even found that while I was looking. This could throw a wrench in my gears.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:43:10 AM EDT
i went through this several years ago while laid up after surgery. got interesed in bladeforums.com and bought 3 automatics and carried them for a while. asked the local police chief and he said NO, they are illegal you can't own or carry. asked my brother-in-law who worked for the GBI, he said there is nothing in the ga. laws that said i could not own or carry one. it seems it comes down to local ordinances. anyway i friggered if i ever got in a wreck and caught the LEO's attention or in a fight and had to use a knife it would look better in court to stay away from the auto.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:27:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/29/2005 1:29:35 PM EDT by MadDogDan]
Some cops not knowing the laws in their own jurisdiction reminds me of when I first moved to GA. My wife and I were driving home at night on 285 and were hit in the right rear quarterpannel of our new Chevy Avalanch doing 70 mph. One minute we were driving straight and the next we were spun around causeing us to flip three times. We came to rest upside down facing traffic. Some motorists (one off duty cop and two doctors) pulled us out of the wreck and stayed to give statements. We were taken to the hospital where I was given upper body X-rays. I forgot I had my Kel-Tec P11 9mm in a pocket holster until they put the lead blanket over the family jewels. I figured "what the heck, it's covered with lead so it will not show". Everything was fine until the doctor wanted an MRI. At that point I had to call the doctor over and tell him I had a 9mm in my front pocket.

He said "what do you want me to do about it" and then called the officer over who was talking to my wife as she was being stitched and bandaged. After I informed the officer what I had in my pocket and that I have a CCW. He said "what do you want me to do about it". I said how about locking it up in the security office safe. That is what we did and I got it back after the doctor was finished with the MRI and fixing up my wife. The cop determined we were not at fault and I had a friend give us a ride home. The bottom line is my vehicle was totaled, my evening was shot, the cops and doctors don't know what to do with guns in hospitals, and I had a running battle with the insurance company for a month or so until they paid up (and then some) as I made out quite well financially. This whole incident took place in Cobb County.

MadDog
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:52:18 PM EDT
how is that relavent to knife carry? did you just want to tell us you scored a fat settlement?
Top Top