Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/31/2005 10:23:03 AM EDT
What's the law on knives ? Can I carry one with less than tree inches or none at all ?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:23:42 AM EDT
Sorry, I m meant three inches.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:16:51 AM EDT
that is what i've been told anythig 3" or under is ok accept automatic knives
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:09:28 PM EDT
as far as i know there is no length law...however, i think you are supposed to keep the CLIP of the knife showing while in pocket.

Over 3 inches may be considered a weapon, and over three inches in pocket may be considered a concealed weapon.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:21:25 PM EDT
Anything over three inches is illegal to carry concealed, and Clark County will use State Statute to prosecute as a category C felony.

Exerpts from NRS 202.350: Paragraph 1. subparagraph (3) i.e Pistol, revolver or other firearm, or other dangerous or deadly weapon;

2. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 202.275 and 212.185, a person who violates any of the provisions of:
(b) Paragraph (b) or subparagraph (1) or (3) of paragraph (d) of subsection 1 is guilty of a category C felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130.

NRS 202.350

Hope this helps..

Be Safe.

Joe
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:30:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ishoot2live:
Anything over three inches is illegal to carry concealed, and Clark County will use State Statute to prosecute as a category C felony.

Exerpts from NRS 202.350: Paragraph 1. subparagraph (3) i.e Pistol, revolver or other firearm, or other dangerous or deadly weapon;

2. Except as otherwise provided in NRS 202.275 and 212.185, a person who violates any of the provisions of:
(b) Paragraph (b) or subparagraph (1) or (3) of paragraph (d) of subsection 1 is guilty of a category C felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130.

NRS 202.350

Hope this helps..

Be Safe.

Joe

i dont actually see anywhere in there where a length of 3 inches is spelled out.
or did i miss it?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:32:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2005 5:05:31 PM EDT by serrada]

Originally Posted By ARin:

i dont actually see anywhere in there where a length of 3 inches is spelled out.
or did i miss it?

It's in each city's municipal code(Las Vegas, Henderson, and North Las Vegas). I'm pretty sure that it's a misdemeanor also.

ETA:
Taken from here
Verified by here

Clark County, NV (LN)

12.04.180 Concealed weapons prohibited without permit.

It is unlawful, within the unincorporated area of Clark County, for any person to carry upon his person a concealed weapon of any description, including a knife with a blade of three inches or more, a gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm, capable of being concealed, without first having received written permission therefor from the sheriff. (Ord. 242 18, 1965)

12.04.220 Penalty for violation of Sections 12.04.010 -- 12.04.210.

Any person who violates any of the provisions of Sections 12.04.010 through 12.04.210 is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a term not to exceed six months or by a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars, or by both. (Ord. 242 23, 1965)

Henderson County, NV (LN)

Section 8.98.010 Concealed Weapons Prohibited Except by Permission.

It is unlawful for any person to carry upon his person a concealed weapon of any kind or description, including a knife with a blade of three inches or more, a gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm, within the city of Henderson without first having received written permission from the chief of police. (Ord. 67 1, 1954)

Section 8.98.020 Police Officers Exempted.

Section 8.98.010 shall not apply to police officers in the performance of their duty. (Ord. 67 2, 1954)

Section 8.98.070 Switchblades and Similar Weapons Prohibited.

It is unlawful for any person to sell, give away, display or have in possession any knife, dagger, stiletto or other device commonly known as a switchblade, spring-blade or push button knife, within the city of Henderson. (Ord. 219 1, 1957)

Section 8.98.080 Penalty for violation.

Any person who violates any of the provisions of this chapter is guilty of a misdemeanor. (Ord. 1492 20 (part), 1994: Ord. 220, 1957; Ord. 219 2, 1957; Ord. 149, 1955; Ord. 67 6, 1954)

Las Vegas, NV (city) (LN)

10.70.010 Defined.

"Dangerous or deadly weapons" includes, but it not limited to:

1. Any dirk or dagger;
2. Any knife with a blade three inches or more in length;
3. Any snap-blade or spring-blade knife, regardless of length of the blade;
4. Any ice pick or similar sharp stabbing tool;
5. Any straightedge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle;
6. Any dangerous or deadly weapon within the meaning of any law of this State restricting the use thereof; and
7. Any cutting, stabbing or bludgeoning weapon or device capable of inflicting grievous bodily harm; and
8. Any firearm other than one carried pursuant to a valid permit issued by a duly authorized governmental authority or an ordinary rifle or shotgun lawfully carried for purposes of hunting or other lawful sport.

(1949 code Ch. 38 4; prior code 6-3-4)

10.70.020 Loitering while carrying concealed.

1. It is unlawful for any person, while carrying concealed upon his person any dangerous or deadly weapon to loaf or loiter upon any public street, sidewalk or alley or to wander about from place to place with no lawful business thereby to perform, or to hide, lurk or loiter upon or about the premises of another.
2. It shall be unlawful for any person who has concealed upon his person any dangerous or deadly weapon to loiter about any place where intoxicating liquors are sold or any other place of public resort.

(1949 code Ch. 38 5: prior code 6-3-5)

10.70.030 Fighting or disorderly conduct while possessing.

It shall be unlawful for any person who has concealed upon his person or who has in his immediate physical possession any dangerous or deadly weapon to engage in any fight or to participate in any other rough or disorderly conduct upon any public place or way or upon the premises of another. (1949 code Ch. 38 6: prior code 6-3-6)

North Las Vegas, NV (LN)

9.32.010 Concealed weapon prohibited--Allowed with permit.

No person, except a peace officer, shall wear or in any manner carry concealed upon his person any loaded or unloaded gun, pistol or revolver, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon permitted to be carried by law without having, at the same time, actually in his possession, and upon his person, an unexpired permit to do so issued by the chief of police. (Prior code 7.22.010)

9.32.020 Permit--Issuance.

The chief of police shall have the power to issue to any person who, in the judgment of the chief of police, shall have such privilege, a written permit to carry concealed any of the weapons specified hereunder. Such permits shall be numbered consecutively in the order in which they are used. No permit shall be granted for a longer period than twelve (12) months. Each such permit shall state the name, address, and occupation of the person to whom the same is issued, and the date of its expiration and shall specify the kind and description of weapon authorized to be carried or concealed by such person. (Prior code 7.22.020)

9.32.030 Permit--Record--Fee.

The chief of police shall have a record of all persons to whom a permit has been authorized by him hereunder. No permit required hereunder shall be issued to any person until such person shall have paid to the chief of police a registration fee of twenty-five dollars ($25.00). (Ord. 867 1, 1987: prior code 7.22.030)

9.32.040 Dangerous or deadly weapon defined.

The term "dangerous or deadly weapons" includes, but is not limited to, any dirk or dagger; any knife with a blade three inches or more in length, and any snap-blade or spring-blade knife, regardless of the length of the blade; any ice pick or similar sharp stabbing tool; any straight edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle; any dangerous or deadly weapon within the meaning of any law of this state restricting the use thereof; and any cutting, stabbing, or bludgeoning weapon or device capable of inflicting grievous bodily harm; and any firearm other than (a) one carried pursuant to a valid permit, issued by a duly authorized government authority, or (b) an ordinary rifle or shotgun lawfully carried for purposes of hunting or other lawful sport. (Prior code 7.22.040)

9.32.050 Person with concealed weapon not to loiter.

It is unlawful for any person, while carrying concealed upon his person any dangerous or deadly weapon, to loaf or loiter upon any public street, sidewalk or alley, or to wander about from place to place with no lawful business thereby to perform, or to hide, lurk, or loiter upon or about the premises of another. It is unlawful for any person who has concealed upon his person any dangerous or deadly weapon to loiter about any place where intoxicating liquors are sold or any other place of public resort. (Prior code 7.22.050)

9.32.060 Person with concealed weapon not to be disorderly.

It is unlawful for any person who has concealed upon his person or who has in his immediate physical possession any dangerous or deadly weapon to engage in any fight or to participate in any rough or disorderly conduct or to participate in any other rough or disorderly conduct upon any public place or way or upon the premises of another. (Prior code 7.22.060)

9.32.080 Deadly weapon prohibited in vehicle--Exceptions.

It is unlawful for any person to have in his possession in any automobile, truck, motorcycle, or any other type of vehicle any dangerous or deadly weapon, but this restriction shall not be deemed to prohibit the carrying of ordinary tools or equipment carried in good faith for uses of honest work, trade or business, or for the purpose of legitimate sport or recreation. (Ord. 596 1, 1978: prior code 7.22.070)

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:14:30 PM EDT
Recent Story

Thursday, May 26, 2005
Copyright © Las Vegas Review-Journal

Pit bull stabbed to death after attacking man's dog in park

By BRIAN HAYNES
REVIEW-JOURNAL

A man watching his dog being attacked by a pit bull at a park Monday took matters into his own hands and stabbed the dog to death, police said.

Dillon Smith had gone to the dog run at Sunset Park that day with his pet, a pit bull mix, Clark County Park Police Chief Rick Bishop said.

Trouble began when Smith's dog tried to mount a larger pit bull, he said.

The larger dog wasn't into the mood, and it turned and attacked the other dog, biting its legs before latching onto the dog's face, Bishop said.

The dog owners punched and kicked the pit bull, hoping it would release its bite. But the dog held on, Bishop said.

Eventually, Smith pulled out a folding pocket knife and stabbed the pit bull until it released his dog, he said.

The pit bull died from the stab wounds, and Smith's dog was taken to a veterinarian to get treatment for bite wounds, he said.

Park police responded to the scene and cited Smith with carrying a concealed weapon. Police said his knife was about 4 inches long. County code prohibits knives longer than 3 inches.

Park police forwarded the case to Animal Control for further investigation.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:38:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By serrada:
Recent Story

Thursday, May 26, 2005
Copyright © Las Vegas Review-Journal

Pit bull stabbed to death after attacking man's dog in park

By BRIAN HAYNES
REVIEW-JOURNAL

A man watching his dog being attacked by a pit bull at a park Monday took matters into his own hands and stabbed the dog to death, police said.

Dillon Smith had gone to the dog run at Sunset Park that day with his pet, a pit bull mix, Clark County Park Police Chief Rick Bishop said.

Trouble began when Smith's dog tried to mount a larger pit bull, he said.

The larger dog wasn't into the mood, and it turned and attacked the other dog, biting its legs before latching onto the dog's face, Bishop said.

The dog owners punched and kicked the pit bull, hoping it would release its bite. But the dog held on, Bishop said.

Eventually, Smith pulled out a folding pocket knife and stabbed the pit bull until it released his dog, he said.

The pit bull died from the stab wounds, and Smith's dog was taken to a veterinarian to get treatment for bite wounds, he said.

Park police responded to the scene and cited Smith with carrying a concealed weapon. Police said his knife was about 4 inches long. County code prohibits knives longer than 3 inches.

Park police forwarded the case to Animal Control for further investigation.

What we need to do is get out permits changed from Concealed Firearms Permit, to Concealed Weapons Permit.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:34:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By porcher:
What we need to do is get out permits changed from Concealed Firearms Permit, to Concealed Weapons Permit.

That's what I miss about the Arizona CWP--anything goes from Bowies, to Winchester Defenders, to Class III.

But then, I didn't particularly care for the bit of AZ CWP law about you're not supposed to carry into a Dennys Restaraunt because they serve beer.

Can't carry in nuclear power plants in AZ either, but I wasn't aware that AZ even had one, nor did I ever have any intention of visiting one, so that was something of a moot point.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:59:03 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BroncoGlenn:

That's what I miss about the Arizona CWP--anything goes from Bowies, to Winchester Defenders, to Class III.

But then, I didn't particularly care for the bit of AZ CWP law about you're not supposed to carry into a Dennys Restaraunt because they serve beer.

Can't carry in nuclear power plants in AZ either, but I wasn't aware that AZ even had one, nor did I ever have any intention of visiting one, so that was something of a moot point.

I think what the problem is Clark County has too much influence in State Gun Laws. I leave in Las Vegas and admit there is too many Liberals down here. We need to get rid of them and send them back to California.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:36:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2005 8:46:50 AM EDT by BroncoGlenn]

I leave in Las Vegas and admit there is too many Liberals down here. We need to get rid of them and send them back to California.

Nah, they can still procreate and move back to NV. Best bet would be application of the three S'es.

Edit to add lest those of you that don't know me some take me just a bit too literally.
Top Top