Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 12:33:47 PM EDT
So I went to the Katy Mills mall in Katy TX on Tuesday with my mom. As we went in through the main door my mom stopped me & pointed out the 30.06 sign on the side wall between the doors. I would not have seen it had she not have pointed it out, & it made me frown with disdain.

My mom said not to worry about it, & just come in anyway, knowing I was carrying my 1911 on my side. I told her no way. I'm not going to jail or lose my CCL by knowingly violating a 30.06 order.
I walked the 2 blocks back to where we had parked her Jag & I put my gun away. By then the other entrances were starting to open & I entered through Burlington coat factory which is right were we parked as it's where my mom wanted to be.

After I finished my shopping, I headed for the Bass Pro shop & the gun counter. I asked the man working there, about the 30.06 sign & why it was so. I had never encountered one, & I thought it was for government, schools, & places that made 51 % of their money from selling booze.

He didn't have an answer, but he said there is no 30.06 sign on the Bass Pro entrances, but also said if I got caught with my CCW on me I would surely be in the deep dodo. Probably lose my gun & CCL. May be able to get them back on the technicality of not all doors being posted, but use up money & time fighting to get my gun & CCL back.

He said he see's guys all the time with shotguns & rifles walking through the mall on the way to the Bass Pro shop, but that's not the same a CC.

So what is the real deal anyway? Like I said I have never seen the 30.06 sign in a mall before, & I am wondering if it is even la-git if it's not posted on all entrances into the mall. What say y'all?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been in to the mall, entering through Bass Pro Shops. When I was there, no 30.06 sign on the doors entering Bass Pro Shops... As such, not a problem with me.

I did see a sign about "checking all firearms" at the front entrance, but I did not think this applied to CHL's as this would mean exposing my weapon in public.

I rarely go to Katy Mills, but when I do, it is always to visit Bass Pro Shops (then maybe enter the mall from there...)
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is the deal- if you enter through Bass Pro Shops- no worries.

If you are properly concealed- no worries.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I live very close to Katy mill so I am there often. All of the Mall entrances are posted with 30.06 signs.  None of the store entrances are posted.   TSRA has some stories of the Mills corp. in Dallas being very aggressively against CHL.  Katy Police have a sub-station on sight so if you get caught this your gun be prepared to defend yourself in court.  You may win but is it worth the trouble.  

With the rising number of robberies in paking lots out here I do not go anywhere without it.  So not at Katy Mills too much lately.  A manager of West Oaks Mall was in my renewal class; told me West Oaks would be happy to have my gun and me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless they've changed it not all entrances are posted and on top of that it is the old sign not the legal 30.06 sign that is posted.  

Link to photo of the sign
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:09:16 PM EDT
[#6]
so is the sign BS ?

I have always understood it must be at every single entrence and must clearly desplay the 30.06 sign, be in 2 inch letters, in english and mexican. If it is not it is not binding.  Who is going to know, its hidden , they can't see it.

Invisiblesoul

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:26:27 AM EDT
[#7]
if its not the 30.06 or 51% and not a place stated i cant be carrying then i dont pay it no mind.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:52:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I think if I were ever stupid enough to go to a mall and I was even stupider to allow some jail house reject to rob/assualt ..etc me and I did nto have my gun because of a 30.06 sign I'd sue the shit out of the owners of the sign since they basically have decided that they were better able to protect me than I could with my gun. I think I remember that TSRA or NRA said they would give legal support to a CCW lic holder that this happened to.

SC what do you think, would there be a case in the above scenario?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think if I were ever stupid enough to go to a mall and I was even stupider to allow some jail house reject to rob/assualt ..etc me and I did nto have my gun because of a 30.06 sign I'd sue the shit out of the owners of the sign since they basically have decided that they were better able to protect me than I could with my gun. I think I remember that TSRA or NRA said they would give legal support to a CCW lic holder that this happened to.

No, although I am sure some lawyer would try it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I might be willing to try it.

I doubt there woul dbe a case in the end though.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

And that is the reason Wal-Mart dose not have 30.06 signs
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top