Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2005 9:20:36 AM EDT
Would there be any reason for gulf-states arfcommers to make a weekend trip to No or the surrounding area to assist w/ any volunteer rescue/rebuild/whatever efforts?

(I wish I hadn't sold my boat now...)

Seriously, if there is anything that can be done by a group of volunteers, this would be way, way more pracitcal than the weekend camping trip idea that was being tossed aorund here earlier.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#1]
ETA
I was thinking if there is any intrest in bring supplies down water, food or anything else.  I can't afford to do it by myself or out of pocket though with help I would be willing to make a trip over the weekend to help.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I would say unless you were goin to help some specifically, no.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#3]
arowneragain: I wouldn't go down there unless you're officially part of some officially recognized rescue/relief  organization such as the Red Cross. Listening to their live TV internet broadcast, sounds like they are going to turn anybody away.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess I will just send money to the Red Cross and Salvation Army then.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I think you would have a hard time getting there, and once there, offcials would probably ask you to leave unless you are part of Red Cross or some other Org like it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been in contact with the Red Cross regarding helping as a qualified professional.

If you're interested, and you have skills, please check in my thread here

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=384364&page=1

What I'm acting as a point of contact for will be Red Cross officiated aid, and I'm, not sure yet of the range of skills needed, so if you're interested reply to my other thread with what you'd be able to do.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Please don't take this the wrong way...  Going in to New Orleans right now is NOT a good idea.  They are pretty much evacuating the remaining people anyway as I understand it.  The influx of people down here (I'm working the Mississippi Gulf Coast) is causing problems.  Most of the problem is with sightseers and gawkers, admittedly, but more vehicles on the roads creates more demand for precious commodities like fuel, and more people does the same for food, water, ice, etc.

Again, please don't take it the wrong way.  Help is always welcome, but sometimes, especially in flooded areas (you have to think what is in the water, under the water, contaminating the water, and has come out of the ground and is now floating in the water), it's as dangerous for those doing recovery as it is for the residents.  Crews are already getting in as quick and as far as they can.  Trust me, I have been in Biloxi and Gulfport, and the work is starting already.  As soon as the NG gets fully deployed it will be much less chaotic, and the work can truly begin in earnest.

But ya know, a box of chocolate chip cookies sure does sound good right now.  

Again, please don't take any of this the wrong way.  

Woody

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:03:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Please don't take this the wrong way...  Going in to New Orleans right now is NOT a good idea.  They are pretty much evacuating the remaining people anyway as I understand it.  The influx of people down here (I'm working the Mississippi Gulf Coast) is causing problems.  Most of the problem is with sightseers and gawkers, admittedly, but more vehicles on the roads creates more demand for precious commodities like fuel, and more people does the same for food, water, ice, etc.

Again, please don't take it the wrong way.  Help is always welcome, but sometimes, especially in flooded areas (you have to think what is in the water, under the water, contaminating the water, and has come out of the ground and is now floating in the water), it's as dangerous for those doing recovery as it is for the residents.  Crews are already getting in as quick and as far as they can.  Trust me, I have been in Biloxi and Gulfport, and the work is starting already.  As soon as the NG gets fully deployed it will be much less chaotic, and the work can truly begin in earnest.

But ya know, a box of chocolate chip cookies sure does sound good right now.  

Again, please don't take any of this the wrong way.  

Woody

No offense. For most people going is not the right thing to do, and it certainly isn't for thrill seekers, gawkers, etc.

I'm pretty bad at making cookies, but I have other specialized skills that will help. Kind of like you wouldn't want to turn away that planeload of doctors and nurses coming from california, or the bayou patrol boat LEOs who came down to work through the flooded areas, there are in fact some skills that FEMA, the National Guard, the Coast Guard, the Red Cross, and others are actively seeking. I happen to have certain of  those needed skills and not responding to the need would be irresponsible.

I'm not driving down there and hoping to raise my hand to see if I'm needed. I'm making certain that my assistance is needed by the appropriate authorities, and so far I'm getting a very positive response. I'm asking what other skills are needed and will relay to other arfcommers who respond with those skills.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#9]
New Orleans is undescribable. I haven't seen anything like this in a long time.Although I work in Baton Rouge and have been activated for emegency staffing . I am speechless and much more or less in a daze. We are running 20 fully staffed paramedic units in Baton Rouge not only to handle 911 for the parish but also for several thousand evacuees.

Special need patients are being located to L.S.U. to br triaged and sent to other facilities.They are asking for medical volunteers to help at LSU AND the River center because of the overwhelming evacuees from new orleans and surrounding areas.

For new orleans help with rescue efforts they are asking you call 1-800-442-2511 for information on volunteering.I am at a loss for words right now. I am extremely tired and hope this tid bit of information was helpful.Needless to say I'M in Baton Rouge and we recieved wind damage and nowhere near the stuff New Orleans has but I feel as if another 9-11 has occurred but in the south.

We are experiecing over 10,000 to 15,000 evacuees and in 2 shelters right now not including the other shelters,
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:21:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Even though you would be turned back from New Orleans, I can't see folks in the outlying areas turning down help in any form.  Right now a load of bottled water and a couple of chainsaws would probably be a welcome sight anywhere in the area.  People are hurting all over the SE, not just in NO or Biloxi.

Rick
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm not really interested in going w/ the Red Cross because i simply don't have the liberty of being away from work for that long.

(Having said that, they could probably use me in their command center, but for a task that they already have personnel for)

But, seriously, would it be of any use to load up a truck w/ saws, water, gas, generators (if you can find 'em) and just head down there, go as far as you can, and start helping?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

would it be of any use to load up a truck w/ saws, water, gas, generators (if you can find 'em) and just head down there, go as far as you can, and start helping?

Please understand that I'm far from being an expert, and my best experience with a disaster came in April of '74 when N. Alabama was hit hard by several tornadoes in 1 night.  I worked for Bellsouth then (now retired) and my job took up all my time for many weeks, however, volunteers came in from all over the country and the most welcome piece of equipment anyone had was a chainsaw.

If you go and just drive up to someone's house & offer to cut up their trees, don't be surprised if they become suspicious of you.  The shysters & rip-off artists are already busy at work trying to milk these folks for every last cent they can.  It happened up here in '74, you can bet your last dollar that it's being done there as we speak.

Right now, any help at all, especially out in the rural areas, will be most welcome.  Most of the rural folks haven't seen anything in the way of relief yet & won't for some time.  If you have to remain overnight, go prepared to camp out.  A church or other facility may be able to put you up, but I wouldn't count on that & I wouldn't count on finding a hotel/motel at all.

If you decide to go (& I'm not encouraging that at all), you'll find that a weekend of volunteering is the most rewarding thing you've done for your fellowman in a long time.  Good luck.

Rick
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#13]
WOODY and PARAMEDIC457!

Man, our hearts and prayers are with you! We can't thank you enough.

"THE ANGEL OF THE LORD CAMPS ROUND ABOUT THOSE THAT FEAR HIM,                      AND HE WILL DELIVER THEM!"

---Psalm 34:7---
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:12:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey guys, I got this email from my boss today about potential opportunities for employment in the Aftermath of Katrina.  I dont know any details surrounding this other than below, but I looked up the company online and they seem legitimate.

-----------------------------

Gulf coast people that lost their jobs!....or anyone you know
that might be interested

Construction company hiring 1000 people to help with hurricane clean up.
$10/hr, 80-90 hrs weekly, food, lodging, transportation to area.  Start
immediately, could go on for 1-2 yrs.  Anyone interested can call:

LVI Svcs, 713-991-0480
10500 Telephone Rd - Houston.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top