Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/9/2006 5:01:16 PM EDT
Hey Guys, I recieved this from our NRA/Club secretary/Instructor. We need to keep on our reps ass about this. Mine is Ray Cox, I let him know last time CCW came up he voted agaist it! Fuggin rino!

Legislative Update
January 5, 2006

I have been notified by the KSRA that the Kansas Concealed Carry legislation will be introduced once again in the month of January 2006.  The current vote estimate shows that it will pass the House and the Senate and that there are enough votes to override a Governor veto.  Please keep an eye on the Kansas Legislature website.  As soon as I receive a bill number I will pass that along to everyone.  It is imperative that we stay on top of this issue.  The goal is to have it passed by the end of March.  There may, however, be some glitches with training issues regarding the issue of permits and it is expected that permits will not be issued until the end of June 2006.  The Castle Doctrine type legislation will be introduced after Concealed Carry is passed.  Pro-gun lobbyists believe the time is right for Concealed Carry and feel that we should go forward with it before elections take place later in the year.  Please keep in mind that legislation is a very fluid situation and anything can change at any time.  You should write to your local legislators and to the Governor to urge them to enter and pass concealed carry legislation as soon as possible.  If you have questions, please call Patti Stoneking at (913) 522-4765.

http://www.kslegislature.org/legsrv-legisportal/index.do
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#1]
tag
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#2]
EXCELLENT. I'm frothing at the mouth to get CCW in Kansas, with recipricocity to Missouri and Nebraksa.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome! I didn't know that enough votes could outweigh the governors veto. When we get a bill number or whatever I will definitely call whoever I need to to get this thing more support.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#4]
From Opencarry.org

There is a hearing on HB2439, a bill that would eliminate all local ordinances on firearms storage and transport. This essentially would make open carry legal statewide.

Hearing is Monday March 8 in Federal and State Affairs Committee, room 313S, at 1:30pm.

:
This bill would go hand in hand standardizing state wide law on firearms.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
From Opencarry.org

There is a hearing on HB2439, a bill that would eliminate all local ordinances on firearms storage and transport. This essentially would make open carry legal statewide.

Hearing is Monday March 8 in Federal and State Affairs Committee, room 313S, at 1:30pm.

:

KS already passed the preemption bill that eliminates any local laws that are stricter than state statutes.  It took affect in July in believe.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
From Opencarry.org

:

KS already passed the preemption bill that eliminates any local laws that are stricter than state statutes.  It took affect in July in believe.

What are the Kansas State laws then? Can i open carry? Can i carry a pistol in the glovebox of my car?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Specop_007,

What I understand from Patty is you can carry your handgun (preferably a 1911h
Lloyd1911
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:26:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
From Opencarry.org

:

What are the Kansas State laws then? Can i open carry? Can i carry a pistol in the glovebox of my car?

Open carry is legal, but if you live in one of the bigger cities (KC, olathe, etc) I don't think I would want to try it. I've heard from other people that although it is legal some police will charge you with some BS charge like disturbing the peace.

Here is a site posted in one of the other threads that outlines most KS related gun laws.

www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=KS

ETA: Another way to go if you want to CCW legally is to become a Private investigator. It's not that hard to become one, but you have some sort of insurance to cover any PI related risks. That is the reason I never persued it. If you have the money it is definitely doable though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#9]
We need to get NRA behind this also!  I live in Topeka, and I'm an NRA member, but I never hear anything locally from them.  We need someone to step up and lead a real effort to get this passed!  I'd gladly put in time, write letters, make calls, contribute cash, etc, but I haven't seen a centralized effort.

Let's finally get CCW in Kansas!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
We need to get NRA behind this also!  I live in Topeka, and I'm an NRA member, but I never hear anything locally from them.  We need someone to step up and lead a real effort to get this passed!  I'd gladly put in time, write letters, make calls, contribute cash, etc, but I haven't seen a centralized effort.

Let's finally get CCW in Kansas!!

Amen to that!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#11]
adrock,

I think the NRA is pushing this somewhat. Patty is a good contact for info on what you can do. She has a short article at http://www.ksraweb.net/KSRA_new_Legislative.html and her number is in my original post. I think we have a good chance this time because the Governor is up for reelection. One of the best things to do is get all your shooting buddies, family, friends, anyone that will listen, to contact thier reps and Gov. We have to let them know what we want or they will vote thier own mind.

Lloyd1911
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#12]
The bill number is S. 418, introduced today.  And yes, NRA is supporting this bill- up until today there was no bill to support however.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok guys, you got it - Senate bill 418

Here's a link where you can get all the Senators' emails:

Senate Email addresses

there's a dropdown menu where you just click Submit and it brings up a list.  Please write an email in support of S - 418 today!

Here's what I wrote:

I'm writing to you today to urge you to support
Senate bill 418, the Personal and family protection
act,
licensing to carry concealed firearms.

Obviously, I support some kind of licensing for this,
to allow only responsible, law-abiding citizens to
carry a firearm for last resort self-defense.

I moved from Emporia, a town with low crime rates, to
Topeka, where there are frequent gang shootings,
robberies, home invasions, and random acts of
violence, i.e. the man shot at a Topeka car wash in
front of his family by meth addicts.

It's obvious that criminals are carrying and using
firearms to commit all manner of crimes, so in
addition to cracking down on these people, I believe
Kansas should recognize our constitutional right to
self-defense, and allow it's citizens to defend
themselves.

Kansas is one of only four states that denies its
citizens this right to self-defense.  Concealed carry
permits are allowed in the other 46 states, so it's
obviously not a "wild" idea.

Numerous studies have shown that crime rates decrease
when concealed carry permits are issued.

In 2004, Gov. Sebelius proposed that retired law
enforcement could protect themselves, but that doesn't
go nearly
far enough.  Why should only an "elite few" be
entitled to
self defense?

Many citizens, myself included, are law-abiding
professionals who shoot for sport, and are as familiar
and practiced with firearms and safety as any officer.

Nationwide, studies have shown that law enforcement
officials support citizens' concealed carry
three-to-one.  However, to prevent local
discrimination, we need to adopt "shall-issue"
permits, ensuring that
any responsible, law-abiding person qualified to buy a
gun (meaning they've passed all federal background
checks) and willing to pay a fee and go to training,
shall be issued a permit.

Please, let's join our fellow 46 states and allow our
citizens the right to self-defense!

Respectfully,

my signature..
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I emailed all of them and within 5 minutes received this from one of them:

Chris:

SB 418 has been introduced but not assigned to a committee as of this
afternoon.  I will be following it to see how it progresses through the
process.

Thank you for your e-mail.

Vicki

Senator Vicki Schmidt
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:17:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Interesting.
It would be nice to not constantly wonder about hypothetical situations of carrying for self defense and the ramifications, and uh, such.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Interesting.
It would be nice to not constantly wonder about hypothetical situations of carrying for self defense and the ramifications, and uh, such.

I've looked into it. It's a Class A non-person misdemeanor for carrying a concealed weapon in KS.

I agree though, it would be nice not to have to worry about it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:57:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Interesting.

I've looked into it. It's a Class A non-person misdemeanor for carrying a concealed weapon in KS.

I agree though, it would be nice not to have to worry about it.

Considering that whole "shall not be infringed" thing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Just fired off a couple letters, I encourage everyone else to do the same.

"I am writing to express my support for Senate Bill 418 (Kansas CCW). I would ask you to please spend some time looking at non-biased facts and statistics on the Concealed Carry issue and then pay close attention to this bill. This bill is very important because this outcome could literally mean the difference between successful and unsuccessful robberies, rapes and assaults on innocent citizens in the coming years. It is VITAL that law-abiding citizens have the right to lawful self-defense and peace of mind which accompanies it."
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I've received several more replies from the emails I sent that have been positive. I thought this one was kind of funny:

"Chris. I am supporting this bill. Remember good gun control is being
able to hit what you aim at.  Thanks  Sen Mike Petersen"
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:54:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Our Governor is a Democrat, she advocated retired police to carry while running for office and did back  up her word after elected.  As i remember it she was against ccw for the average citzen.  I tghink she would veto such a law .. i live in kck
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Our Governor is a Democrat, she advocated retired police to carry while running for office and did back  up her word after elected.  As i remember it she was against ccw for the average citzen.  I tghink she would veto such a law .. i live in kck

Yeah she vetoed it last time, but if you read the first post it says there should be enough votes to outweigh her veto this time around. We just need to make sure it has the support it deserves. It doesn't take long to send an email to all of the KS senators.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:10:41 PM EDT
[#23]
(for people who don't want to sign up for the Capitol Journal's site..)

A 19-year-old Topeka man has been arrested in connection with a shooting incident early today in southwest Topeka.

Kristi Pankratz, spokeswoman for the Topeka Police Department, said Brent Morgan was booked into the Shawnee County Jail on charges of aggravated battery, aggravated robbery and unlawful possession of a firearm.

Police were called about 12:45 a.m. to a residence in the 2200 block of S.W. Romar Road, where a 29-year-old male reported that after he pulled his vehicle into the garage around 12:30 a.m., another vehicle stopped and parked along the street. He said the occupant got out and approached him, displayed a gun, and demanded money.

Pankratz said the intended robbery victim got own his gun, and he and the suspect exchanged gunfire. The victim was hit by a shotgun pellet, but refused medical attention.

The suspect then left in his vehicle, which was stopped near S.W. 10th and Fairlawn by Shawnee County Sheriff's office deputies and Topeka police officers.

The suspect was taken to the Law Enforcement Center, where he was questioned by police detectives, then put under arrest.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey guys,

I have some more info on SB418 from Patty:

Dear Friends of The Second Amendment:

I have the information that sizes up the committee members for the concealed carry vote.  The following Senators will vote in favor and recommend to the full Senate that this bill be passed:

Karin Brownlee, District 23 - [email protected]
Kay O'Connor, District 9 - o'[email protected]
Ralph Ostmeyer, District 40 - [email protected]
Dennis Wilson, District 37 - [email protected]
Mark Gilstrap, District 5 - [email protected]
Anthony Hensley, District 19 - [email protected]

Those who are opposed are:

Pete Brungardt, District 24 - [email protected]
Roger Reitz, District 22 - [email protected]
John Vratil, District 11 - [email protected]

The committee vote is 6 in favor, 3 opposed.  That means it will carry and be presented to the full Senate with a recommendation to pass this bill. Even if these people are not in your district, please write and call them. Acknowledge and thank the ones who support us and ask for their continued support.  The 3 who are opposed need to be convinced to support it.  

Thanks for all of your help.  Let's get this passed once and for all!

Patricia A. Stoneking
NRA Certified Instructor
P. O. Box 117
Bonner Springs, KS 66012
(913) 522-4765
[email protected]

ETA
Dear Friends of The Second Amendment:

Senate Bill 418 was referred to the Federal and State Affairs Committee on Monday, January 23, 2006.  It was announced today that a Senate Hearing will be held on Thursday, February 2, 2006 at 10:30am in Room 231-N.  There will be more information to come.  Be sure to check your email every day.  

The word from a member of the House is that this bill has been "fast tracked" (forecast as a positive thing).  Anyone who is interested in going to Topeka as a show of support for the bill should let me know right away. A rally may be in order.  I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for everything you're doing to help.  We have hundreds of people signing the petition.  Keep the momentum going.  

Patricia A. Stoneking
NRA Certified Instructor
P. O. Box 117
Bonner Springs, KS 66012
(913) 522-4765
[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:33:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Thought I'd share what I wrote;

Honorable Senator Brownlee,

Today I wish to express my support of Senate Bill 418, and hope that you will support this important bill as much as I do when it comes time to vote.  As a former soldier, former law enforcement officer, husband, and father of three wonderful children I am deeply disturbed that Kansas sees fit under current law to prevent law abiding citizens from protecting themselves with firearms in a discrete manner.

It is well documented that crimes against persons are greatly reduced when citizens legally arm themselves with concealed firearms.  Bullys, and brazen thieves simply don't have the courage to enter a "fair fight" and prey upon those weaker than themselves.  Concealed carry takes away sure knowledge that a potential victim is not going to be able defend themselves and will cause societies predators to look else where.  Most often, there is a direct correlation between the lowering of crimes against persons, and a rise in crime against property.  Let their be no doubt in your mind that I value the lives of my fellow constituents more so than damage to a building, or automobile.  Material goods can be replaced, but we as humans being are unique and can not, our laws must reflect this.

If memory serves, Gov. Sebelius once proposed that only retired law enforcement could protect themselves with concealed weapons.  Elitist attitudes have no place in our society!  Law exists to serve the people, not subjugate them.  Law must serve the people equally, and should always follow a paradigm that as a law abiding citizen you have implicit authority to pursue any lawful endeavor until you are proved incapable of responsible behavior in criminal courts by conviction of criminal action by a jury of your peers, or plea bargain.  If you were to take time to speak with law enforcement officers that work the streets every day, you will quickly learn that even though their motto is a variation of "To Serve & Protect" they are most often in a responding role of "Picking Up The Pieces After The Fact."  Through personal experience as a former law enforcement officer, and various well documented studies a range of "3 to1 up to as high as 5 to 1" law enforcement officers favor concealed carry by citizens.

Ensure that Senate Bill 418 is passed with your supporting vote.  Return to your constituents the ability to protect themselves legally, and knowledge that when they apply the State of Kansas *must* issue a permit unless they have proved them selves irresponsible through the commission of criminal acts that merit so harsh a punishment as their loss of the basic right to self defense via  conviction by a jury of peers, or plea bargain.

Sincerely,

my name & address to show my senator I'm one of her constituents.

Here is to what I hope will be a successful piece of legislation!

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:04:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Sen. Brownlee has 100% voting record on gun issues, she's one of the good ones.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:35:34 AM EDT
[#27]
In KS you can carry a concealed HG anywhere in the vehicle as long as it is not concealed by any part of a persons body and/or clothing...loaded.  Gloveboxes, center consloes, under the seat, visors, door compartments...etc.  And of course you must not be a felon, have drugs, etc.

Would not recommend doing it in some bigger cities, although the law was passed and did take effect making the cities with gun ordinances stricter that the State laws null and void.

And of course open view carry (on your person) is legal in KS but still would not recommend doing it in some places.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:37:00 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
In KS you can carry a concealed HG anywhere in the vehicle as long as it is not concealed by any part of a persons body and/or clothing...loaded.  Gloveboxes, center consloes, under the seat, visors, door compartments...etc.  And of course you must not be a felon, have drugs, etc.

Would not recommend doing it in some bigger cities, although the law was passed and did take effect making the cities with gun ordinances stricter that the State laws null and void.

And of course open view carry (on your person) is legal in KS but still would not recommend doing it in some places.

Do you happen to know the Bill/Ordance number this is covered under?
I'd like to have it as a reference in case some jackass LOE wants to cause trouble with me.

And theres no way in hell I'd open carry in Kansas City, you'd spend all day talking to cops. Fucking sheeple.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Kansas law really doesn't say what you can do but more what you cannot do.  The State Statue is 21-4201--Criminal  use of Weapons.  The same one somebody here posted in the thread about SBR's.  Vehicle or open view carry is never mentioned, so they are not forbidden.  If an LEO gives you a hard time about having a loaded handgun, in say the center console, that he sees while your looking for your insurance, just ask him to show you the law that says it's illegal.  The officer may want to take pocession of the HG until the traffic stop is over for officer safety concerns.  Most officers in KS know the law and what is legal, the KHP is very well versed in it.  In my opinion if you do have a loaded HG in the vehicle and you are pulled over, lay the HG on the dash in plain view, keeping you hands in your lap, and notify the officer as soon as he is at your window that you do have a loaded firearm.  Just so there are not any startling surprises.

The law making it so cities could not pass stricker gun ordiances than State law was passed and went into effect sometime around the summer of 2005 I believe...don't know the number on that one.

Although it is legal, walking around with a gun strapped to your leg will probably bring alot of unwanted attention in alot of places.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#30]
any word on the senate hearing today?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is some new info from Patty:

Dear Friends Of The Second Amendment:

I attended the committee hearing at the Capitol in Topeka yesterday for Senate Bill 418, Right To Concealed Carry.  Testimony was given by both proponents and opponents of this bill.  The committee will vote on Tuesday, February 7, 2006 regarding rather to recommend passage of this bill to the full Senate.  It is expected that the committee will vote 6 to 3 to recommend the bill for passage to the full Senate.  I will keep you posted of the outcome.  We need to continue to write letters, send emails and phone all legislators in both the Senate and the House of Representatives as well as the Governor.  It is forecast at this time that the bill will pass both the Senate and the House but the Governor may veto again this year.  We will need a two thirds majority vote to override this veto in both the Senate and the House.  Please continue your efforts to see to it that we have the votes we need to override this possible veto.  Thanks to everyone who has actively helped to protect our rights!

House Bill 2577 has been entered in the Kansas House of Representatives by Representative Richard Carlson of District 61.  This bill is likened to the Castle Doctrine passed in Florida and protects from lawsuits in the aftermath of a Self-Defense encounter as well as protection from prosecution in a legitimate self defense shooting.  Please write your Representatives, Senators and the Governor concerning this bill and ask them to protect your rights and pass this bill.  There is no forecast yet as to the numbers on this bill.  I will keep you posted.

Patricia A. Stoneking
NRA Certified Instructor
P. O. Box 117
Bonner Springs, KS 66012
(913) 522-4765
[email protected]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I just sent a letter to my State Senator in regard to S418. Lets hope we can get CC passed this time. This election for governor might have a impact on whether Sebelius vetoes it or not.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:44:41 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Kansas law really doesn't say what you can do but more what you cannot do.  The State Statue is 21-4201--Criminal  use of Weapons.  The same one somebody here posted in the thread about SBR's.  Vehicle or open view carry is never mentioned, so they are not forbidden.  If an LEO gives you a hard time about having a loaded handgun, in say the center console, that he sees while your looking for your insurance, just ask him to show you the law that says it's illegal.  The officer may want to take pocession of the HG until the traffic stop is over for officer safety concerns.  Most officers in KS know the law and what is legal, the KHP is very well versed in it.  In my opinion if you do have a loaded HG in the vehicle and you are pulled over, lay the HG on the dash in plain view, keeping you hands in your lap, and notify the officer as soon as he is at your window that you do have a loaded firearm.  Just so there are not any startling surprises.

The law making it so cities could not pass stricker gun ordiances than State law was passed and went into effect sometime around the summer of 2005 I believe...don't know the number on that one.

Although it is legal, walking around with a gun strapped to your leg will probably bring alot of unwanted attention in alot of places.

First of all, I'm not a lawyer, but to my understanding it is illegal to open carry in a number of KS cities/counties.  the premption bill did *NOT* cover open carry.  There was an amendment late in the process.  To the best of my knowledge Wichita & Sedgwick county ban open carry.  There are other locations which do the same.  From what I have read of the bill the gun needs to be cased & unloaded to be covered by the preemption bill, but from an enforcement point of view there is a lot of grey area as to what "cased" & "unloaded" actually means.  I've talked to a number of police officers.  None of them gives me the same answer.

I also would not be handling a firearm when I was pulled over.  I would leave it alone.  Anything else is asking to get shot.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First of all, I'm not a lawyer, but to my understanding it is illegal to open carry in a number of KS cities/counties.  the premption bill did *NOT* cover open carry.  There was an amendment late in the process.  To the best of my knowledge Wichita & Sedgwick county ban open carry.  There are other locations which do the same.  From what I have read of the bill the gun needs to be cased & unloaded to be covered by the preemption bill, but from an enforcement point of view there is a lot of grey area as to what "cased" & "unloaded" actually means.  I've talked to a number of police officers.  None of them gives me the same answer.

I also would not be handling a firearm when I was pulled over.  I would leave it alone.  Anything else is asking to get shot.

A good friend of mine works for the sherrifs office in a neighboring county.He suggests that you insure your hands are in plain sight, and you tell them (bluntly) that a weapon is in the car. DO NOT HANDLE THE WEAPON!!!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#35]
If anyone lives in Bonner, western Shawnee, Desoto, in district 39 (Ray Cox district) give him a call. This rino is one of 2 "republicans" that is expected to vote NO on HB 2577 the "Stand your Ground" bill. He also replied to my email saying the carry bill (that he voted NO on the last few times) has been to "conservative". Let him know he won't be in office next time around! I did!

Ray Cox     785-296-7689

Thanks,
Lloyd1911
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Here is some new info from Patty:

We need to continue to write letters, send emails and phone all legislators in both the Senate and the House of Representatives as well as the Governor.  

The "governor" admitted that she vetoed that last CCW bill in spite of an overwhelming amount of letters and call she received encouraging her to support the bill.  We need our Senate to take this out of her hands and prevent her from protect us from ourselves.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Here is some new info:
The Senate Federal and State Affairs Committee voted to pass SB 418 - Concealed Carry Bill, today and it will go to the Full Senate for debate and vote.  If the  committee report gets finished today, it will be on the agenda for the full Senate this Thursday, February 9th at 9:00am.  If the report does not get done in time it will be Monday.  We need to expedite the petitions.  Get them to me as soon as possible.  This thing is moving quickly.  Next stop, the House of Representatives.  I will keep everyone posted.  

Patricia A. Stoneking
NRA Certified Instructor
P. O. Box 117
Bonner Springs, KS 66012
(913) 522-4765
[email protected]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
If anyone lives in Bonner, western Shawnee, Desoto, in district 39 (Ray Cox district) give him a call. This rino is one of 2 "republicans" that is expected to vote NO on HB 2577 the "Stand your Ground" bill. He also replied to my email saying the carry bill (that he voted NO on the last few times) has been to "conservative". Let him know he won't be in office next time around! I did!

Ray Cox     785-296-7689

Thanks,
Lloyd1911

Did he happen to say what he ment by too "conservative"?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#39]
No he did not, I'm assuming thats what he means. Here is his reply:

Lloyd

I have voted for it years ago.  Lately I voted against it because of the way it was presented as a very conservation issue.  I will take a serious look at this bill.

Rep. Ray Cox

I guess thats what he meant instead of "conservation". And to think he holds public officehock.gif
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#40]
I sent an email to my state rep, and this is the response I got...

"Jason If you are talking about the right to carry, I support it.
Criminals never ask permission.

Sincerely,
Bill Otto
Representative, 9th District"

Not bad!

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Keeping my fingers crossed, and will fire off a few e-mails to the senators/reps and governator.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:23:59 AM EDT
[#42]
OK folks.

SB 418 passed the senate yesterday 29 - 11 he
Start those calls and emails!

Especially to the Govenor.

She needs to know how we feel on this bill.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Just want to point out 29-11 is one more than the two thirds needed to overule a veto. Lets hope we see the same in the House.  

Thanks to everyone suporting this!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#44]
I wrote my Senator and have not got a reply yet. I am going to see how she voted on the canceled carry law. If she didnt vote for it she has just lost my vote and all my hunting buddies in any upcoming elections.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Here is some more info, check the highlight:

SB 418 was passed by the Senate yesterday with a vote of 29 yes and 11 no. This bill will now be referred to the House of Representatives.  Please contact your Representatives and urge them to sponsor this bill.  In addition, we need to put as much pressure on the Governor as possible to sign off on this bill.   I have personally been informed by more than one legislator that they are ignoring email communication.. Please send your letters by regular mail and call their offices.  I will let you know the next action on this bill as soon as it happens.  Thanks and have a great day!

Patricia A. Stoneking
NRA Certified Instructor
P. O. Box 117
Bonner Springs, KS 66012
(913) 522-4765
[email protected]

Lloyd1911
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Here is some more info, check the highlight:

SB 418 was passed by the Senate yesterday with a vote of 29 yes and 11 no. This bill will now be referred to the House of Representatives.  Please contact your Representatives and urge them to sponsor this bill.  In addition, we need to put as much pressure on the Governor as possible to sign off on this bill.   I have personally been informed by more than one legislator that they are ignoring email communication.. Please send your letters by regular mail and call their offices.  I will let you know the next action on this bill as soon as it happens.  Thanks and have a great day!

Patricia A. Stoneking
NRA Certified Instructor
P. O. Box 117

Thanks for the info-I will be calling my representatives and the governors office Monday. Let these people know how you think
Bonner Springs, KS 66012
(913) 522-4765
[email protected]

Lloyd1911

I will be calling the governors office monday. Keep the calls coming. WE PUT THESE PEOPLE IN OFFICE-LET THEM KNOW WHERE WE STAND.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#47]
How do I find out how my senator voted on SB 418? She's Carolyn McGinn.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#48]
I found out - here's how the senate voted on SB 418:

Yeas: Apple, Barnett, Barone, Brownlee, Bruce, Donovan, Emler, Gilstrap, Haley,
Hensley, Huelskamp, Jordan, Journey, Kelly, McGinn, Morris, O’Connor, Ostmeyer,
Palmer, Petersen, Pine, Pyle, Schmidt D, Steineger, Taddiken, Teichman, Umbarger,
Wagle, Wilson.

Nays: Allen, Betts, Brungardt, Francisco, Goodwin, Lee, Reitz, Schmidt V, Schodorf,
Vratil, Wysong.

The bill passed, as amended.

David Haley explains his 'reluctant' yes vote:

MR. PRESIDENT: I again reluctantly vote ‘‘Aye’’ on this issue on SB 418. Although I
believe it’s hypocritical to preach Peace/Non-Violence to our children and come home from
work or even still, ridiculously enough, from church unbuckling shoulder harnesses and
unloading purses...statistically, there are already a bunch of folks in my District and in your
Districts (otherwise law-abiding citizens)...single parents; small business owners; even some
seniors...who are already carrying weapons concealed in their pant leg or their waistband
or their handbag or the car glove box.
Many have contacted me expressing their desire to be ‘‘legal.’’ Many others want to learn;
to train; to license and to carry. With Missouri on my direct Eastern border...all of us feel
uncertain and even threatened by the continuing lack of clarity in that state’s CCW laws
and the effect on Kansas. Although, I personally believe that SB 418 might represent more
of a danger to our society than an assurance of greater public safety, today I again respond
with a vote of ‘‘Aye’’ to ease the anxiety of these fearful, but vocal, few.—DAVID HALEY
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Looks like Reitz sold us down the river, he didn't return my email.  My rep, a democrat, did, now lets see what she votes.  Time to call tomorow.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:21:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Hey all:

Patty sent me a spreadsheet last night with forcasted votes in the house. The committee vote looks like 18 yea, 5 nay. Of course my RINO ray cox is on the committee voting NO. He only won his seat by about 30 votes last time, I have half a mind to run agaist him! Anyway from my count it looks like 100 yea, 25 nay in the house. Keep in mind that some of the votes can and probably will change. If we can keep at this level the Governor may see the writing on the wall and sign it or not sign and let it become law without her signature. Make those phone calls guys and gals we have to get it this time!

Lloyd1911
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top