Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 8:26:02 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I go to school in KC and was wondering where the best/closest rifle range is. So far, from google and the range list,  it's between Mill Creek Rifle Range and one in St. Joseph (does anyone know what ranges these have? I need to zero at 50 yd)

Are there any more?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:05:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Parma Woods in Parkville is ok, i dont really like it tho,  no rapid fire 1 shot a sec, and last time i went they said something about loading and unloading all box mags but they didnt check so i didnt unload..............i wasent about to unload ten 40 mags and a few 30s....fuck that id was going to leave if they asked me to unload.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:23:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Pigeon Hill in St Joe has 50 & 100 yd ranges, Last time I was there it was unsupervised, I assume it still is. Middle of the week, not before/durning deer season, was the best time.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Pigeon Hill in St Joe has 50 & 100 yd ranges, Last time I was there it was unsupervised, I assume it still is. Middle of the week, not before/durning deer season, was the best time.

Yes this is the best place arround KC(unless you own land) to shoot rifle,
Unless you enjoy shooting no more than 5 rounds per minute, waiting on geezers every 15 minutes to walk 100yds and back, having some douchebag RO fingerfuck your weapons with out asking, and paying $6.00/hr,  then you can goto Lake City or ParmaWoods conservation ranges.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:59:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea, I ended up going to Parma Woods because it seemed the closest.

It's a nice range, but man. I've never seen one as strict as that. Chains across the booth when cease fire is called? Is it a freakin museum?

Got my AR zeroed in fine though. Which is all that counts I guess. I'll try St. Jo next.

Actually, I was thinking of checking out the rifle section of the practical shooting league that meets at Mill Creek. Do you guys know anything about that?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It's a nice range, but man. I've never seen one as strict as that. Chains across the booth when cease fire is called? Is it a freakin museum?

I went to Lake City today.

The chains are for the least common (stupidity) denominator.  It amazes me to watch how many people have problems understanding a simple phrase like "stay out of the booth".  Sheesh.

That said, it never fails that they'll call a cease-fire just as I loaded a mag and chambered a round.  And Lake City is just $3/hr including free targets.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Got my AR zeroed in fine though. Which is all that counts I guess. I'll try St. Jo next.

Actually, I was thinking of checking out the rifle section of the practical shooting league that meets at Mill Creek. Do you guys know anything about that?

Spend a little time at Pigeon Hill (St. Joe) and you will understand the chains and the strictness.  I rarely leave Pigeon Hill without witnessing at least one MAJOR safty issue:
- Handling weapons while people are down range.
- Muzzel sweeps with loaded & unloaded firearms.
- People walking forward of the firing line.
- Shots going over the berm.

Keep your head on straight while you are there.  Depending on the day it can be scary or pretty fun.  It's the only near-by place you will be able to practice anything but bench shooting though.  Parma got a management transplant from St. Louis' Busch Range.  If you ever visited that range you will certainly recognize the changes.   It was just as safe before all that but there was far less range-nazi nonsense, just enforced rules.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:37:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I went to Lake City today.

The chains are for the least common (stupidity) denominator.  It amazes me to watch how many people have problems understanding a simple phrase like "stay out of the booth".  Sheesh.hat  And Lake City is just $3/hr including free targets.

I too go, to Lake City. Its just 15 min away.
I have saw thing out there, that would, make the gun grabing nuts, go ballistic.
Once a guy, older than I, on a cease fire, flipped the range tag. The range master told all of us it was clear, we could start shooting. hock.gif
There was one guy still down range, the range master could not see him, all of the other shooter turn and started yelling..heyBecause they pulled them out and had them leavehe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top