Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/17/2020 5:59:48 PM
Posted: 2/23/2016 11:02:47 AM EDT
Mopacalypse strikes!  The Mopac/Enfield construction sure has mucked things up. I heard reports that it was taking 45-60 minutes to get from Davis to 290 on Mopac.    i ended up going Wm. Cannon to South 1st to get downtown. Still took me 40 minutes to reach 6th St. from Wm. Cannon & Brodie.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:37:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2016 11:41:12 AM EDT by sanangelo]
Originally Posted By Dynamo:
Mopacalypse strikes!  The Mopac/Enfield construction sure has mucked things up. I heard reports that it was taking 45-60 minutes to get from Davis to 290 on Mopac.    i ended up going Wm. Cannon to South 1st to get downtown. Still took me 40 minutes to reach 6th St. from Wm. Cannon & Brodie.
View Quote

And that is why I moved from Austin years back.  I looked at it and came to the decision that traffic in the area is nothing but a loosing battle. I also had enough of hipsters that came in from other states and altered the mix of kickers and hippies.

It's also funny to look back and remember all the people that never wanted mopac to be built as it was not needed and would hurt a salamander (aka bait).
It's a shame as growing up there it was a great place to be.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:57:41 AM EDT
Last Saturday I administered ham radio exams at St. Edwards.  I generally take 130 to Ben White/71 to South Congress.  On the way there, 71 going east by the airport was a parking lot!  Left for home somewhat after 3, decided best to take 35 North,  Another parking lot!  Headed south on the access road and 35 south was full of brake lights, but somewhat moving!  Ended up 35 south to 45/130 north to get home.  And this was Saturday afternoon!
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:08:07 PM EDT
Yeah, I dread driving into town on weekends anymore.  Half the time is spent in traffic.  My weekday commute is soul crushing.  I'd move if I didn't have such a great job.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:15:19 PM EDT
This is one of the reasons I love working from home.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 5:35:29 PM EDT
What I don't understand these days is the traffic in Austin seems WORSE during a lot of what should be non-peak times than it is during what should be "rush hour"...  Like half the time if I have to go somewhere on the weekends or evenings after 7pm everywhere I go is packed full and moving slower than rush hour...  its like the same number of cars or more, but nobody is in any kind of hurry to get anywhere.  Like they are all drunk, stoned or on their phones even worse than on work days!

Damnit, I didn't buy a Corvette to sit in bumper to bumper traffic, I wanna GO...
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:16:55 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SoftwareJanitor:
What I don't understand these days is the traffic in Austin seems WORSE during a lot of what should be non-peak times than it is during what should be "rush hour"...  Like half the time if I have to go somewhere on the weekends or evenings after 7pm everywhere I go is packed full and moving slower than rush hour...  its like the same number of cars or more, but nobody is in any kind of hurry to get anywhere.  Like they are all drunk, stoned or on their phones even worse than on work days!

Damnit, I didn't buy a Corvette to sit in bumper to bumper traffic, I wanna GO...
View Quote

I only visit family there occasionally, and I agree.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:25:56 PM EDT

View Quote

Does it get better during college breaks still?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:51:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sanangelo:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Very marginally.  Not as much as it used to for sure.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:26:54 PM EDT
Austin traffic sucks period.  IH 35, Mopac, Hwy 183 are all terrible in the mornings and afternoons.  35 sometimes comes to a crawl at the strangest of hours for what seems like nothing at all.  I've even tried avoiding afternoon rush hour by taking 130 and then got stuck doing 45 in an 80mph zone because traffic was so thick.  I live out near Burnet and it's getting worse and worse between here and Austin with all the new neighborhoods they keep building out past Cedar Park and Georgetown.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 7:28:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2016 7:29:45 PM EDT by John-in-austin]
Wait till Obama's visit during SXSW.   NO ONE will be going anywhere.  I suggest calling in sick that day or take a sleeping bag to your office and staying overnight.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:43:53 PM EDT
Austin traffic is in fifteen minute cycles. Opening on one edge of town is a jam up a few blocks later. I have been commuting from Lockhart to Downtown Austin for a decade. The only pattern is utilizing good driving skills and being able to read the signs of a major jam up and have pre-planned outs.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:07:07 AM EDT

View Quote

I've noticed that too and it's crazy.  Sunday morning is the only time that I have found traffic overall to be light.

The only way I've been able to cope with the daily commute is just to go to work early and leave early.  Luckily my employer is flexible on schedules.  I'm going to have to start going in earlier until Mopac is done.  I typically leave for home at 4pm and as crazy as it sounds southbound Lamar is quicker than southbound Mopac.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:20:27 AM EDT
Still beats Cambridge traffic.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:12:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2016 12:13:44 PM EDT by n00g7]
Traffic you say, I work from home... am I missing out?  Thinking about moving to a local law firm, but traffic issue is a strong negative in addition to suit over comfy pajamas and dogs for foot warmers.  Still going to interview and see what the signing bonus would be.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:15:50 PM EDT

I've noticed that too and it's crazy.  Sunday morning is the only time that I have found traffic overall to be light.

The only way I've been able to cope with the daily commute is just to go to work early and leave early.  Luckily my employer is flexible on schedules.  I'm going to have to start going in earlier until Mopac is done.  I typically leave for home at 4pm and as crazy as it sounds southbound Lamar is quicker than southbound Mopac.
View All Quotes

Mopac done ?   That's a good one.    When I worked downtown I would get to work by 5-6am and skip lunch so I could get off early.  It was the only way I could make it work.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 4:52:51 PM EDT
I go from Cedar Park to 183/Cameron every morning.

Leaving early in the morning, and then getting back on the highway headed West by 4:30pm are the keys to getting around town.

If you make a jobsite meeting anywhere near downtown at 8am in the morning, I will cuss you, I don't care who you are.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:39:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2016 9:40:24 PM EDT by Chida66]
Yup, the Mopac thing really screwed it all up worse.  My wife heard on the radio that it is supposed to last nearly 6 months.

My job is all over town.  I see traffic pop up in the strangest places.

On the weekends, my wife finally understands why I just want to sit at home.  I have been behind a wheel all week long.

Dynamo, we live not too far apart.  I am off Slaughter and Brodie area.  My office is at 1626 and Manchaca.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 10:05:34 PM EDT
I live near Slaughter and Manchaca and avoid going anywhere near downtown.  There really are a HUGE contingent of brain dead sumsabitches in this town.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 11:16:49 PM EDT
Wait till the hwy 620 project starts.  Driving around anywhere west of the 183 corridor is REALLY going to suck.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 11:41:10 PM EDT
I live out off 290 towards Dripping Springs and work downtown on 6th Street. I hate my commute but I like where I live and like my job so I deal with it. I left at 6am this morning and was at my desk by 6:30am so I guess that's my new commute time. No stopping for traffic at all, made for a much less stressful morning.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:14:46 AM EDT
It sucks donkey balls.  I have lived in South Austin for 10 years  (Wm Cannon/Westgate for 5 years, now Shady Hollow for 5) and my commute has gone from 25 minutes to an hour at least.  With the NB Mopac lane shutting down, I know am looking at an hour just to get to Enfield. (I work at Far West).
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:24:30 AM EDT
I think one Sunday morning coming back to DFW from my cousins wedding in Buda was the only time I didn't think Austin's traffic was beyond terrible.  Every other time its been horrible.  I even had to dodge a ladder that fell off some dude's trailer right in front of me, in heavy night traffic, I think I stained my drawers that time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:00:47 AM EDT
At some point, you are going to get in your cars, get 5 minutes down the road and then stuck in traffic for 8hrs.  

At which point, you will have to do your work from your cars, or at least say you thought about work for 8hrs.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:16:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Freakinout:
I think one Sunday morning coming back to DFW from my cousins wedding in Buda was the only time I didn't think Austin's traffic was beyond terrible.  Every other time its been horrible.  I even had to dodge a ladder that fell off some dude's trailer right in front of me, in heavy night traffic, I think I stained my drawers that time.
View Quote

Maybe if we had stricter enforcement of inspections and driver education crap like that wouldn't happen.  It would also cut down on a lot of shit drivers on the road and make it less crowded.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:32:27 PM EDT

Maybe if we had stricter enforcement of inspections and driver education crap like that wouldn't happen.  It would also cut down on a lot of shit drivers on the road and make it less crowded.
View All Quotes

It just fell off a trailer, would have been a non-issue if they had secured their cargo.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:47:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/25/2016 6:49:09 PM EDT by sanangelo]

It just fell off a trailer, would have been a non-issue if they had secured their cargo.
View All Quotes

Should have never come out of the trailer.  I bet if it cost them a very large amount of money in fines that crap would be secure.  I also bet they would be pissed if a loved one got hurt because some dip shit didn't take the time to secure a load.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:41:14 PM EDT

Should have never come out of the trailer.  I bet if it cost them a very large amount of money in fines that crap would be secure.  I also bet they would be pissed if a loved one got hurt because some dip shit didn't take the time to secure a load.
View All Quotes

A decent ladder ain't cheap, you'd think that would be enough incentive to secure it properly.  Sadly too many of the "construction" workers are uneducated and undocumented. They are saying now that 1/3 of traffic fatalities and a larger percentage of that of accidents and drunk driving arrests are unlicensed drivers and mostly undocumented/illegal.  A lot of these people don't even have drivers licenses in their home country.  Most of them are also uninsured.

Best thing we could do to get rid of a lot of the worst drivers in Austin would be to start cracking down on undocumented drivers.  Make it mandatory to jail undocumented unlicensed drivers and turn them over to ICE for deportation.  Let the PD impound and auction the vehicles of drivers who are unlicensed or the cars unregistered or ininsured if they are undocumented.  Right now APD doesn't want to deal with illegals because it is a political mess and there is no incentive. Put a big $$$ incentive on it an watch them change their ways.  Landlords should have to check for legal residency too or be fined for renting to illegals.  And there should be huge fines for employers if they get caught hiring illegals.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:38:50 PM EDT

A decent ladder ain't cheap, you'd think that would be enough incentive to secure it properly.  Sadly too many of the "construction" workers are uneducated and undocumented. They are saying now that 1/3 of traffic fatalities and a larger percentage of that of accidents and drunk driving arrests are unlicensed drivers and mostly undocumented/illegal.  A lot of these people don't even have drivers licenses in their home country.  Most of them are also uninsured.

Best thing we could do to get rid of a lot of the worst drivers in Austin would be to start cracking down on undocumented drivers.  Make it mandatory to jail undocumented unlicensed drivers and turn them over to ICE for deportation.  Let the PD impound and auction the vehicles of drivers who are unlicensed or the cars unregistered or ininsured if they are undocumented.  Right now APD doesn't want to deal with illegals because it is a political mess and there is no incentive. Put a big $$$ incentive on it an watch them change their ways.  Landlords should have to check for legal residency too or be fined for renting to illegals.  And there should be huge fines for employers if they get caught hiring illegals.
View All Quotes

Well until people stop thinking that following the law is racist or stop saying we need to enrich ourself it will never happen.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:57:41 PM EDT

A decent ladder ain't cheap, you'd think that would be enough incentive to secure it properly.  Sadly too many of the "construction" workers are uneducated and undocumented. They are saying now that 1/3 of traffic fatalities and a larger percentage of that of accidents and drunk driving arrests are unlicensed drivers and mostly undocumented/illegal.  A lot of these people don't even have drivers licenses in their home country.  Most of them are also uninsured.p

View All Quotes

A decent ladder ain't cheap, you'd think that would be enough incentive to secure it properly.  Sadly too many of the "construction" workers are uneducated and undocumented. They are saying now that 1/3 of traffic fatalities and a larger percentage of that of accidents and drunk driving arrests are unlicensed drivers and mostly undocumented/illegal.  A lot of these people don't even have drivers licenses in their home country.  Most of them are also uninsured.p

Quite a few of the independent dump truck drivers that are illegals don't even have a driver's license besides not having a commercial license. A guy I work with had a dump truck company, about 10 years the illegals started buying up dump trucks and underbidding jobs. They don't need to make as much money since they don't get insurance, maintain their trucks or even have a license.
Top Top