Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 11:31:54 AM EDT
Just curious if anyone else is going to go?  If your interested in registering the class is given by Personal Defense Solutions and you can register on their page here PDS FL CCW class at Ready Aim Fire
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just curious if anyone else is going to go?  If your interested in registering the class is given by Personal Defense Solutions and you can register on their page here PDS FL CCW class at Ready Aim Fire

What is the total cost involved?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The full course is $85 (plus you still need to send the $117 to Florida).  Here's a rundown of what goes on:

Firearm safety rules and safe gun handling
Pertinent sections of the law relating to weapons, firearms and carry
Where you can and cannot carry a firearm
Deadly force
What carrying concealed means
How to interact with police
Self-defense awareness
Secure transport and storage
Handgun nomenclature and operation (revolvers and semi-automatic pistols)
Handgun Ammunition
Fundamentals of shooting a handgun
Maintenance and cleaning of a handgun
Concealment holsters and carry methods
Recommended readings
Basic competency test performed on the range

I figure it's worth it as even if I had an NRA class that was acceptable I'd want a class that talked about specific carry related issues, such as this one.  By Monday the 6th my application will be on the way to Florida .  I would have taken it at the Allentown gunshow, but I was running late and my wife decided that she'd come along.  She isn't interested in the class and I didn't want her to have to sit around and wait for me for two hours.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Just signed up for the class . What do we have to bring with us? Pistol? ammo?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:56:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not sure what we have to bring.  According to their site, no loaded firearms or live ammo will be allowed in the classroom, but there is also a live fire portion.  I believe if you don't have your own firearm they will provide one, but I'd just as soon shoot with my own pistol and ammo.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#6]
tag
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#7]
taaaaaaaaaaaaag
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Well at first I thought the course was in Florida. When I'm there I carry, just not "concieled".
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:42:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I guess my title might be a little misleading
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:22:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I mailed my application package to Florida two weeks ago.  Got fingerprinted at the local PD ($10), got passport photo taken at Kinko's ($12), got the app notarized at my barber ($5), and dropped in a copy of my DD-214 service record ($0.10).

Just waiting now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok, I have a question for you who are getting your FL non-resident CCW that I really think should be addressed.  How do you all plan on getting your preferred carry handgun into PA in the first place?  I told my wife that I would probably buy a small vehicle handgun safe, wear my holster out of the house, put the pistol (with mags separate, of course, as per NJ law) in the safe and lock it, and then pull over once I get in PA and retrieve the pistol and holster it, then go about my merry way.  Anyone have a better idea than that?  I wish I wish I wish I could just carry from NJ to PA (as I only live 5 mintues from the border), but not only would that be illegal but if I got pulled over I'd be in some deep shit.  I'd rather avoid the trouble and follow the law.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Thats a good question. I figured I would have the pistol in a locked case of some sort, like I use to bring it to the range, and then at some point when I go into PA, just put it on. Do the  reverse when going from PA to NJ. OF course now I have to get a carry gun and a holster to go with it. Ive been thinking about something like a PPKs, but Id like a larger caliber. I currently own a Beretta 92F, which is kinda big for CCW. I also have a S&W M&P  (military & police, which is a model 10 before they called it a model 10)6 shot revolver K frame 38 special, but Id like to have a larger capacity. Any suggestions? What will you carry?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Either my Glock 27 or my Ed Brown Kobra Carry (picking it up tomorrow, woooooot!).  I just need some good leather.  I was looking at the Versa Max II, or I also found Bulman Gunleather that looks nice.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I've still got my inside-waistband pancake holster from when I had my CCW previously, so I'll use that.  Tough to tuck my shirt in but it works and doesn't print the grip at all.

Legally you'd need to have your magazine(s) empty, pistol in a case in the trunk, until you hit the border and enter a state w/ CCW reciprocation.  Minor PITA and you'd have to pull off the road, load mag(s), load the sidearm, and holster it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:21:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I've still got my inside-waistband pancake holster from when I had my CCW previously, so I'll use that.  Tough to tuck my shirt in but it works and doesn't print the grip at all.

Legally you'd need to have your magazine(s) empty, pistol in a case in the trunk, until you hit the border and enter a state w/ CCW reciprocation.  Minor PITA and you'd have to pull off the road, load mag(s), load the sidearm, and holster it.

My Baja doesn't have a trunk, so when I go to the range I just keep both the cases with the ammo and the firearms (separately, of course), in the back seat where I cannot "access" them easily.  It's the best I can do short of buying another car.  If I get pulled over and they claim that I am transporting illegally...well...I think it'd be a bunch of hooey...we'll see .
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:48:24 AM EDT
[#16]
www.njsp.org/about/fire_trans.html

All firearms transported into the State of New Jersey:

Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

For additional exemptions refer to Chapter 39, namely 2C:39-g.

N.J.S. 2C:39-6(g)

"All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b.,
     subsection e.,  or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be
     carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox,
     securely tied  package, or locked in the  trunk of the automobile in which it
     is  being  transported, and in the course of travel shall  include only such
     deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances."
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Perfect, then keeping it in the rear seat area securely locked should be legal enough.  I should be able to slip a slim gunlocker under the seats.

Thanks, rkbar15 to the rescue!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:59:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm about done with NJ and thier rediculus gun laws. omfg.i can carry in 29 states but not the one i live in.And the whole collapsable stock and bayonet lug thing have me baffled.Whens the last time someone was killed with a bayonet lug?And when did someone get shot with a collapsable stock?God forbid you have to defend your home and use a hollow point. the BG can sue you and you can be arrested .When does it end in this state?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#19]
You can use Hollow Points to legally defend your home.  The problem is the BG or his family may legally attempt to sue you for whatever BS reason they can think up.  IMHO, the problem stems from the fact the ways the laws were written in NJ.  You must clearly warn a home invader to cease and desist before shooting him (unless such a warning would place you in further danger), and you must have a justifiable fear for your life.  You have a legal obligation to retreat (even while in your own home!) in NJ, if you are able to without further endangering yourself.  Also, you can only use as much force as the situation dictates (i.e. if the BG is a 90 lbs woman with a sharp postage stamp, you can't shoot her).  Hollow points are the least of my worries.

FWIW, if I'm ever in the situation where I believe I have to defend myself, my home, or my family against a BG, they'll only get one warning (clearly worded, of course).

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#20]
total gun ban - thats when it will end in nj.

funny thing about the collapsable stock,if its pinned open or pinned in the closed position
i believe its lawful. but if it slides......

holy shit.!!!!!!  
burn it  crush it   ahhhhhhhhhhhh
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Yup, pretty much.  Oh well, hopefully I won't live here forever .
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I just spoke to the guy at PDS about what to bring. Basically, your gun (if you have one) and some ammo/magazines. They supply everything else.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Excellent .  I won't have my concealed carry holster by the class, though.  Hopefully it won't matter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top