Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2004 6:00:04 AM EST
http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/news/politics/9502172.htm

GRAYSON, Ga. - A high school student's parents are upset after a misunderstanding with school officials involving a T-shirt with the name of his hometown - Hempstead.

Terrell Jones was stopped by a school administrator Monday at Grayson High School because he was wearing a shirt that read: "Hempstead, NY 516;" a reference to the Long Island town and its telephone area code.

But the administrator mistook it for a drug reference.

"It was ridiculous," said Caron Jones, Terrell's mother. "They were labeling him that he was advertising marijuana."

The family had moved to Gwinnett County from Hempstead, N.Y., and never thought the first four letters in the town's name would cause problems at school.

"I had no idea that hemp stands for marijuana until I looked it up in the dictionary," Caron Jones said. "But his T-shirt says Hempstead, not hemp."

Terrell Jones was allowed to return to class after convincing school officials to do an Internet search, which confirmed that Hempstead was a real town.

The student's father, James Jones, said he wants an apology. Meanwhile, Terrell Jones says he will continue wearing the shirt to school.

School officials could not immediately be reached for comment Wednesday.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:11:48 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 9:57:33 AM EST
Doesn't it warm your heart to know the impressionable minds of the next generation are being shaped by the mentally infirm?

When adults act like morons, kids learn to not respect adults.

Where's my tree chipper?

Top Top