Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/5/2014 1:56:11 PM EST
Just relocated due to my work from Gulf to Marion County, where are the good places to shoot at in Marion County?
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:40:24 PM EST
Well... I would not call it "good" per se, but I will call it adequate... you have the Public Range located east of Ocala/Silver Springs off SR 40. The best times to go are at first light and the last couple hours of daylight. This time of the year with hunting season starting, it will be more crowded than usual. There have been times where I had to wait close to an hour to get a spot... and there have been times the place was almost empty. As with most public ranges, there will be shooters who do unsafe acts... usually kids whose Grand Pas have brought them out to shoot the old .22.

It's "better than noting" and the price is right. I suggest taking a portable target stand as the ones supplied get hammered fairly good. The state cleans the range once a week... Thursday morning if I recall correctly thus it is closed during that time.

It has a covered portion with a table top and limited adjustable benches for rifle work, max range is 100 yards. There is also a stand-alone shotgun only area for clay targets.

Public Range
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:50:48 PM EST
Sweet that is like 10 minutes from where I am staying at right now.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 3:04:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/5/2014 3:06:30 PM EST by Bowhntr6pt]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Toddflying2782:
Sweet that is like 10 minutes from where I am staying at right now.
View Quote

I highly recommend you go with a friend... and when you shoot, only remove from your vehicle what you are actually shooting... I'd suggest against having multiple guns out at one time for security reasons... also, someone needs to stay with the guns/gear as the other goes to hang/check targets. There are some interesting characters that visit the range...

ETA- watch out for the old man with the broom and pooper-scooper, he's a brass hound with no shame.
Top Top